Very unhappy with my new Ka-bar Camp Turok and customer service!

Have any photos of the knife edge??

I have to admit, i'm a little confused.

You have owned many Beckers for many years and never found your way here.

One slight issue and you join, log on, and post 11 times.
I find that odd.

Let's see s shot or two, maybe we can help.

Have any photos of the knife edge??

I have to admit, i'm a little confused.

You have owned many Beckers for many years and never found your way here.

One slight issue and you join, log on, and post 11 times.
I find that odd.

Let's see s shot or two, maybe we can help.
Your assessment is fair. I have found my way here for quite some time, just never posted. This forum has been a mountain range of knowledge for me.

I'm a long time lurker and I anticipated breaking the ice as a new member with this issue was going to send mixed signals, so I get that.

I sent the knife back today today to SMKW hoping to be done with this one or I would gladly take pictures.

I have been buying knives from SWKW for 20 years and this is the first knife I will be returning, first knife I have ever returned for that matter.

I appreciate your willingness to try to help diagnose this blade. With your help and anyone else's, there was a chance we may have been able to remedy some of the issues with this knife, who knows.

Regardless, I guess the whole totality of circumstances just left a bad taste in my mouth on this one with ka-bar and I wanted to part ways with it.

I feel that if I represented Ka-bar and a customer called in and said I have a new knife where the sheath is severely dulling the blade and the bolt in the handle protrudes to the point the knife is hard to hold for extended periods and I was not happy, I would want to ask some questions.

In my opinion, it appeared there was no interest at all that I had a knife that was not performing as expected.

It is what it is.

Last edited:
Just received this knife from SMKW and was initially elated with the knife out of the box. The finish was fantastic, the edge grind was consistently even and it had arguably the sharpest edge of a Ka-bar out of the box I have ever experienced. It did not just shave hairs, it popped hairs and even sliced through a piece of receipt paper with precision. I was impressed.

The sheath held the knife very secure as all the reviews for the smaller Turok had confirmed. The sheath was a huge factor for me getting this knife. The only thing I did not like about the sheath was the retention snap for the handle. It seemed unnecessary as the sheath has excellent retention and it did not fold out of the way causing the edge to contact it when drawing out of the sheath and it made re-holstering the knife tedious.

Now that I had given the knife a good look all around, and decided it was a keeper, I quickly and easily removed the retention strap with no issue.

So now I started getting a feel for the knife and how it carried in the holster. The sheath worked great, I had no issues using the thumb ramp to remove the knife and it carried lighter than thought it would. Again, very happy.

As probably most others are when they get a knew knife I did not want to put it down. However, I started to notice something that had not immediately jumped out at me. I noted my right hand had a burning sensation on my palm just below my thumb. I quickly saw that the top bolt for the handle scale was protruding out past the scale and the threads were digging into my hand.

My first thought was the bolt was overtightened, but that was not the case, loosening the screw just a little caused the screw to become very loose and it still was not recessed with the handle scale. Even with thread fastener, I would not be comfortable loosening the screw. I'll admit, this was frustrating, but not a dealbreaker. I could maybe obtain a slightly shorter screw of file this one down, although I was worried about damaging the threads. Nonetheless, I would figure something out since I was otherwise so happy with the knife.

At this point, my neighbor who is a huge collector of knives and bushcrafts and camps with me, was waiting to see the knife when I got it. He was impressed when he first removed it from the holster. I then said you won't believe the edge on this thing. Again, he is an avid knife guy and he ran his finger across the blade and said, that's not that great to be honest. I immediately said try your arm hair, as I showed him two freshly missing patches on my arm from just a half hour earlier when Fed Ex dropped off the knife.

My buddy tried to shave his arm and not a single hair came off, absolutely no exaggeration. He said, yup it's a butter knife. I then grabbed the knife and ran it up against some hairs and nothing. We then tried a piece of printer paper and could not angle our way in to even get the blade started on any section of the blade. The knife was so dull I was shocked.

I quickly realized the only thing that could have done this was the sheath, as I had not used the knife at all other than shaving my arm hair. We looked closely at the sheath and the tight fit and it was near impossible to keep the edge from going hard against the inside of the sheath. The first thing that popped into my head was that this was almost like my old BK2 that had the dulling issues with the sheath, but this was even worse!

Now I was upset. This knife was not going to work for me. This type of dulling was unacceptable and it appeared the issue is inherent to the sheath design.

So today I called Ka-bar and spoke to a lady named Beth. I explained the issues and said I was very unhappy with this knife and was looking for the best way to resolve it. Beth did not offer any insight as to the issues I was having. She was nice in her tone, but not helpful to me to the point I just said I would like to return this knife back to SMKW. However, as I had explained to her, she knew I removed the retention strap from the knife so I asked if I could just get a replacement belt loop which just consists of the ballistic nylon and velcro section.

She put me on hold and came back and said I would have to purchase a new sheath for $17 something and $8.00 for shipping. Normally outside of these circumstances I would pay that with no issue. But I'm going to pay $24.00 for the new sheath and 10.00 or more to send the knife back to SMKW, this is now becoming my worst knife buying experience.

I then asked Beth if there was any way they could work with me, only because I would be keeping this knife, if it weren't for the defects, including the grip screw and I was told she could not do anything else on that and I should return the knife to SMKW.

I expressed I was a long time Ka-bar owner and I was not happy and ended the call. (I own nearly half of the Ka-bar Becker line and three versions of the fighting knife) These defects are not my fault!

So I then called SMKW and spoke to a customer service rep named Chase and explained the situation. His first statement was he thought Ka-bar should have been far more receptive to this situation and stated he would see what he could do. He said he would go ahead and set up a return authorization number for the knife and would put specific instructions for the return department that Ka-bar was contacted by the customer, was no help and advised to send the knife back to SMKW.

So, I guess, I am just sort of venting, but also expected more as a long time Ka-bar customer. I would love to hear from others on their perspective on this situation. My next knife purchase that was on my radar was going to be the Becker Bk 18 with the harpoon shaped blade, but I'm believe I'm done with giving Ka-bar any more business at this point.
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with KABAR’S customer service. The few times I’ve experienced there customer service has been very good.
I received my Camp Turok the other day and like yours the screw is a tad long. Not a big deal to me as I change em to stainless
ABF02218-32AE-4E78-95F1-19D02CF05EED.jpeg
anyway. Why the long screws don’t seem to be a problem for KABAR, I don’t know.
The sheath issue for dulling the edge. I’m not having that problem. Mine came sharp to the touch but needs TLC.
Here’s a few pics of mine.
5E7EEF7A-566F-492B-88CA-DDEB6E1D30D3.jpeg
B3EA0B5A-963F-4413-B835-AB490716DFC3.jpeg
C5FB5EF7-10BA-45EC-AAA6-CB3EAB043426.jpeg
Shortened the stainless screws. Put a little heat to em for some color.
Not a solid tang like the Turok has which is fine by me
837263DC-1FA3-4CA2-B54A-F486862EBB73.jpeg
Much better
3F87D48A-1A94-46F2-BA19-74666D86BFE7.jpeg
decided to deepen the etchings while I’m playing around
469167F2-5961-4864-AC53-BF5E4A3F03B5.jpeg
12064043-2235-42C8-A5E8-47BCF0EE3482.jpeg
3CA47938-2CFB-491D-87DD-6D54BE0BCECC.jpeg
288C7971-10CC-44BF-9190-A9B7223311ED.jpeg
The only thing to do now is put a nice edge on it and wait for KABAR to come out with Micarta scales 😁

Last edited:
Sorry to hear of your bad experience with KABAR’S customer service. The few times I’ve experienced there customer service has been very good.
I received my Camp Turok the other day and like yours the screw is a tad long. Not a big deal to me as I change em to stainless
View attachment 1747745
The sheath issue for dulling the edge. I’m not having that problem. Mine came sharp to the touch but needs TLC.
View attachment 1747746
View attachment 1747747
View attachment 1747748
Shortened stainless screws with nuts after a little heat
Not a solid tang like the Turok which is fine by me
View attachment 1747761
Much better
View attachment 1747762
View attachment 1747763
View attachment 1747764
View attachment 1747765
View attachment 1747767
The only thing to do now is put a nice edge on it and wait for KABAR to come out with Micarta scales 😁
View attachment 1747745
View attachment 1747746
View attachment 1747747
View attachment 1747748
Shortened stainless screws with nuts after a little heat
Not a solid tang like the Turok which is fine by me
View attachment 1747761
Much better
View attachment 1747762
View attachment 1747763
View attachment 1747764
View attachment 1747765
View attachment 1747767
Thanks for the response.

Many on here have said they have had a good experience with customer service, so my situation might have just been an anomaly. And, it's not that anybody was rude, and maybe there was some misunderstanding and it was construed that I was not open to a solution and only wanted to return the knife. Either way, I expected them to show some interest in the fact the knife was not performing as it should, even if I was expressing that I wanted to return the knife.

I am moving on from this knife, but I have now gotten over the situation and will likely still try another Kabar or becker in the future, as I normally never have issues.

It's good to know I'm not the only one with the screw protruding.

If I did not have such a significant issue with the sheath, I would have kept the knife and remedied the screw issue, as that alone would not have been a deal breaker.

I'm intrigued your sheath is not causing dulling issues. My camp turok, literally had a very sharp edge, and even bevel and was as I've said, one of the best edges I had out of the box.

I know some say it could have been a wire edge that was deceiving me, but that did not seem to be the case the best I could tell.

After about removing and re-sheathing the knife about 20 to 25 times, it was shockingly dull, even with a wire edge being removed, if that was the case, I would not expect this level of dullness, no exaggeration. I've never seen a sheath so hard on an edge.

Sounds like the sheath issue I had is hopefully a isolated incident, since you do not appear to have that issue.

That deeper etching looks great.

Last edited:
Back