Victorinox Cellidor vs. Transparent Scales

Quick question for you guys:

Is there a difference in toughness between cellidor scales and the transparent ones, ie: the sapphire, emerald, ruby, silvertech etc...?

I've seen photos of cellidor knives with chipped/cracked scales and I know that due to wear and tear some do detach from the knife itself. How do their transparent counterparts measure up for durability?

Thanks in advance :)

In my experience, transparent ones are very nice when they're new, but when the scratches come, they lose all their charm...so I would pick cellidor :)

:cool:

In my experience, transparent ones are very nice when they're new, but when the scratches come, they lose all their charm...so I would pick cellidor :)

:cool:

+1 Scratched transparency isn't very transparent. :)
Lately I'm developing a growing appreciation for nylon covers, hiding scratches better on their non-glossy surface, they seem tough as nails.

+1 Scratched transparency isn't very transparent. :)
Lately I'm developing a growing appreciation for nylon covers, hiding scratches better on their non-glossy surface, they seem tough as nails.

Me, too. I have two such, one a One Hand Trekker, and the other a Sportsman II. The latter is supposed to be the economy version, and only cost me $7 when I bought it a few years ago, but in my opinion, a better option than the celidor version. The surface is more grippy, resistant to chemicals that craze celidor, and maybe tougher (haven't tested it, but seems to be.) The Swiss Army seems to think so too, because they adopted the OH Trekker over the alox models.

I too prefer the nylon scales over the cellidor ones. I wish Vic would make them a regular option for their 58, 84 and 91mm knives.

Scratches on the trasparent scales aside, which would you guys say would hold up better against chips/cracks and potentially coming off loose between the cellidor and the transparent "jelly" models?

I know that once the jelly scales get scratched they aren't pretty/transparent and the cellidor ones get scratched just by looking at them the wong way, but I would rather have a Vic with a worn, beat up scale than a Vic that is missing part or all of its handles.

I think they are about the same. I've broken both under similar conditions (drops). Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, all I care about is how it works.

I don't think there are any practical difference between the regular and translucent scales other than the aesthetics. The translucent ones are just translucent.

I have wished for a very long time that Victorinox would make the nylon scales the permanent scale of choice. It's rugged, resists certain gun cleaning and other solvents well. What's not to like?

And the pebble texture is nice.

I have wished for a very long time that Victorinox would make the nylon scales the permanent scale of choice. It's rugged, resists certain gun cleaning and other solvents well. What's not to like?

And the pebble texture is nice.

I've been wishing that Victorinox would use Delrin like Case's yellow Delrin, but red (or whatever other colors Vic may offer). I would imagine the Delrin would be more durable and less scratch-prone than the cellidor, and it could still have a smooth texture like the cellidor. They could also keep the metal Swiss cross.

Jim

The cellidor and nylon are soft enough to grip with the barbed rivet caps, making production far easier. Delrin would require some changes, and more finishing. Not to harsh your vibe, just trying to think of why they chose what they have. Might be do-able on an alox model, would delrin be durable enough to handle the pressure of the rivets?

I have found that the stayglow handles stay pretty sturdy for a long time but have no experience with the nylon scales.

Back