Victorinox Farmer keyring/lanyard hole is uncomforatble

Anyone else notice this? The lanyard hole sticks out upwards from the back of the handle and right into my palm. I don't expect great ergonomics from a SAK but this is very uncomfortable.

Funny, I only buy knives with lanyard capabilities. Always need some bit of rope dangling off it.

Anyone else notice this? The lanyard hole sticks out upwards from the back of the handle and right into my palm. I don't expect great ergonomics from a SAK but this is very uncomfortable.

Usually, a change of grip alleviates the discomfort, but I know what you mean.

Problem is, I use the split ring to attach a dummy cord, so I put up with it.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they dont' use the same lanyard ring attachment as the cellidor and nylon models. It's much more comfortable.

For the life of me, I can't figure out why they dont' use the same lanyard ring attachment as the cellidor and nylon models. It's much more comfortable.

The Cellidor knives are about 1.5mm wider than the Alox knives (not thickness/layers), mostly due to the presence of the spine tools. As a result the there is more room for the lanyard ring on the cellidor models. Open the bottle opener/screwdriver on both an Alox model and a cellidor model and have a look at where the lanyard ring is located (on the knife and in relation to the tools). Even if they were to use the backspring mounted lanyard ring (as on the cellidor models) it would STILL dig into your hand because the ring would be in the same place (being someone that does the odd SAK mod I have SAK parts all over the place and I can stack alox and cellidor bits on top of each other and see how it all works, I can't post any photos though). Quite simply there is no other place on the Alox SAKs that you can stick a lanyard ring where it won't be more in the way (either hurt you hand more or actually prevent the tools from opening).

There is hope though, if all you are wanting to carry is the Vic Soldier or Pioneer you can just go buy a Wenger Standard Issue (it is effectively the same knife made to the same Swiss Military design standards) it has a hollow rivet with a Bail (looks nice, works well). If you are getting a custom Scibeer Alox knife you can ask him to include a hollow rivet and bail (though it is different than the Wenger one, and it is still experimental so it might fail).

Usually, a change of grip alleviates the discomfort, but I know what you mean.
So, regarding longer use of the knife - do you think changing the grip fixes it or is it (in longer use) still a problem? I bought my Farmer, a day later I removed the keyring nub but after a few months I'm considering buying another Farmer and try to keep the nub there ...

So, regarding longer use of the knife - do you think changing the grip fixes it or is it (in longer use) still a problem? I bought my Farmer, a day later I removed the keyring nub but after a few months I'm considering buying another Farmer and try to keep the nub there ...

Wow, my post you referred to is nine years old! Some issues, though, are timeless. Regrets, but if you wish to retain the keyring attachment, you will have to get used to dealing with it. My semi-solution was to pad my hand with a work glove, or if that is not practicle or available, with a folded handkerchief to pad my palm, or otherwise shift grip temporarily, or for quickie jobs, simply ignore the nub. But in the years since that post, I have stopped relying on an alox SAK and carry a One Hand Trekker instead. MUCH more comfortable. These days I carry a cellidor model for out and around, and the OHT when I have an upcoming job to do. Dangled from belt into my LF pocket behind my wallet, it all but disappears until needed.

Tt6YWIql.jpg

THIS!!!!^^^^^

All they have to do if they can't use the same mount as the cellidor, just go back to the hollow rivet and then they don't have to do anything at all!!! We, the owners could just take some fine nylon cord and thread a lanyard on, or leave it open. Just going back to the hollow rivet would cost Victorinox nothing, and yet give the buyer of the knife a choice.

Or…go back to the bail like Wenger used on my very favorite SAK, the SI. Like the cellidor problem, Victorinox can fix it, but they don't care to.

Wow, my post you referred to is nine years old!
Wow, I knew it sure was an old thread but didn't realize how long ago that was. :eek: Thank you for response! :)

Some issues, though, are timeless.
Exactly why I don't like to start new threads about old issues. :)

Regrets, but if you wish to retain the keyring attachment, you will have to get used to dealing with it. My semi-solution was to pad my hand with a work glove, or if that is not practicle or available, with a folded handkerchief to pad my palm, or otherwise shift grip temporarily, or for quickie jobs, simply ignore the nub. But in the years since that post, I have stopped relying on an alox SAK and carry a One Hand Trekker instead. MUCH more comfortable. These days I carry a cellidor model for out and around, and the OHT when I have an upcoming job to do. Dangled from belt into my LF pocket behind my wallet, it all but disappears until needed.
Too bad, I hoped you'd come with some miraculous solution! :D Just kidding. Good for you! :)
I just bought a nylon Camper II so it seems that would be my primary knife. I'm not much into the >93mm or <91mm SAKs ...

All they have to do if they can't use the same mount as the cellidor, just go back to the hollow rivet and then they don't have to do anything at all!!! We, the owners could just take some fine nylon cord and thread a lanyard on, or leave it open. Just going back to the hollow rivet would cost Victorinox nothing, and yet give the buyer of the knife a choice. Or…go back to the bail like Wenger used on my very favorite SAK, the SI. Like the cellidor problem, Victorinox can fix it, but they don't care to.

I agree totally! I wish they would make the farmer with two hollow rivets (those on the ends of the knife) and the keyring nub. I would grind the nub off then and use the "hole" on the side where the blade axis is for a lanyard.

Wow, I knew it sure was an old thread but didn't realize how long ago that was. :eek: Thank you for response! :)

I just bought a nylon Camper II so it seems that would be my primary knife. I'm not much into the >93mm or <91mm SAKs ...

I just love that the “economy” version in the Victorinox SAK line is actually superior to their regular one. Nylon scales are much better than the cellidor because they are tougher and more chemical resistant. But don’t let this get back to Vic or they will raise the prices ;) .

Nylon scales are much better than the cellidor because they are tougher and more chemical resistant. But don’t let this get back to Vic or they will raise the prices ;) .
Actually, I paid for my Camper II slightly more than the price of the original Camper is. But that's because here in Czech Republic, stuff is weird ... :D :D

The sharp key ring attachment is the only thing I dislike about Victorinox's Alox models. I'd be all for them to go back to the hollow rivet at the awl/large screwdriver end. I can't imagine the hollow rivet would be any more expensive than having that keyring attachment. I've never taken the keyring attachment off, though. I never know when I'll need to attach a lanyard. The main reason I dislike that thing is it potentially creates far more pocket wear. It's sharp and sticks out too much. Hasn't really bothered me during use, though.

Jim

Back