Victorinox Farmer vs Huntsman

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to contributing to this forum, although I have been lurking for quite a while... Been carrying SAKs since childhood, and love them.

If you really like the Alox models, but miss the scissors, toothpick and tweezers, why not carry a small Vic Classic at the same time?

Apart from my primary Spyderco, I EDC a Farmer, and have a Rambler clipped to my AAA light that goes into my jeans coin pocket.

Problem solved... :)

I carried a Huntsman Plus for a while. If you chose the Huntsman, spring for the Huntsman Plus. You get a pressurized pen and the jeweler’s screwdriver that rides in the corkscrew. Either is worth the few extra bucks.

Then I replaced it with the Farmer. The advantage for me lay in using the knife. If your pocket knife opens the occasional letter and box, and cuts a sandwich in half, the Huntsman is fine. The difference between it and a Farmer doesn’t make a difference.

If you have to use the knife a lot, it’s a different difference. Say you have to break down lots of boxes. Or you’re stuck and you need to make a shelter and gather firewood. (Which is why I won’t buy a larger SAK that lacks a saw.) Anything where the knife is in your hand for a long time. The tools on the back side of the knife are going to blister your hand bloody. The farmer has a smooth grip. Even if you don’t remove the key ring, it’s a better tool handle.

I miss the Huntsman’s extra tools. But I still carry the Farmer.

A Rambler gives me scissors/tweezers/toothpick.

If your pocket knife opens the occasional letter and box, and cuts a sandwich in half, the Huntsman is fine. The difference between it and a Farmer doesn’t make a difference.

If you have to use the knife a lot, it’s a different difference. Say you have to break down lots of boxes. Or you’re stuck and you need to make a shelter and gather firewood. (Which is why I won’t buy a larger SAK that lacks a saw.) Anything where the knife is in your hand for a long time. The tools on the back side of the knife are going to blister your hand bloody. The farmer has a smooth grip. Even if you don’t remove the key ring, it’s a better tool handle.

I miss the Huntsman’s extra tools. But I still carry the Farmer.

All this seems reasonable, but may I ask, is it based on hypothetical contingency situations or do you have practical experience to draw upon?

I’m a carpenter so:

A: I pay attention to handles. A tool with a handle that’s too small, badly shaped, too rough, etc., gets kicked out of my toolbox. These days I can usually spot potential problems and not buy the thing.

B: My hands are toughened by years of work. I’m betting that what chaffs me will hurt an office worker sooner and worse.

C: A long session using the Huntsman Plus reminded me how much I like the Farmer.

I'm another that would recommend the Fieldmaster over the Huntsman. I have no use for a corkscrew but a true Phillips head I will use from time to time and it is a great package. I'm also a firm believer in scissors being the must have option on any SAK I carry. (I have two Super Tinkers as back up)

Other than the obvious wine bottle use, I find the corkcsrew great for untying/loosening stubborn knots, especially nylon/paracord.

Hi guys,

I'm pretty new to contributing to this forum, although I have been lurking for quite a while... Been carrying SAKs since childhood, and love them.

If you really like the Alox models, but miss the scissors, toothpick and tweezers, why not carry a small Vic Classic at the same time?

Apart from my primary Spyderco, I EDC a Farmer, and have a Rambler clipped to my AAA light that goes into my jeans coin pocket.

Problem solved... :)

For years I've felt the same. I always EDC a Vic Executive, and when I carry my Alox Soldier, I have never felt at a loss. On the regular (Soldier-sized) SAKs, I much prefer the Alox models. But on the smaller ones, I prefer the Cellidor handles for the tweezers/toothpick, and the little added thickness for their small size. My Alox Classic feels too thin for its size, whereas a regular one feels better in my hand and in the pocket.

I just received a new (and my first) Farmer in the mail today, and I really like it. I'll be pairing it with my Executive so I won't miss the scissors, toothpick, nail file, etc.

Jim

I normally EDC a Huntman - it has all the right tools I need, but I am thinking about pairing up a Farmer with a Rambler instead. Either way would work well.

A third option is carrying a Farmer and Classic... best of both worlds...

They may be the best, but of one world only, that of Victorinox SAK. If you really want the best of both, consider the Style PS of World Leatherman, which supplements the Farmer with scissors (not up to Vic, but good enough), pliers, nail file and eeny screwdriver. It so happens I have one on me now to pair with the OH Trekker I have been using this day for yard work.

If the knife was soley for camping I would go for the farmer( when I camp I have a pair of dedicated sissiors which is used just for mold skin usually) but since you are wanting to edc it the sisscors being part of the knife makes it more useful because sisscors have alot of uses in an urban environment

I would like to third the Fieldmaster in lieu of Huntsman...but I would still pick the Huntsman over the Farmer if I had to choose only one, and I think you chose wisely.

I've never had need for the corkscrew, except for one time at a party, and I didn't have it! I'd been EDCing a Climber for awhile, but on that particular day I had my OHT. My girlfriend and her friend needed to open a wine bottle and asked me if I had my swiss army corkscrew handy. Alas, I told them I didn't and a little piece of me died inside.

I don't understand this love affair with the Huntsman, why not the Hiker which trades the limited use corkscrew for a more useful philips? I'd rather have two types of screwdrivers rather than a corkscrew.

The only thing I can see about the popularity is that stores seem to sell corkscrew models more than Philips models.

The Fieldmaster is certainly my pick above the Hiker but my current top pick is the Outrider with Philips head.

Opps! Sorry guys, I forgot I was in search mode and replied to an old thread.

Huntsman if you want a better tool range, alox for durability. chances are you probably already have a fair idea of what you want so just go with your gut. :D

Don't have much experience with the Farmer, but I've had a Huntsman for 35 years. It's been through every high expedition backpacking and camping trip I could throw at it. It's sawed, stripped wire, changed out electrical outlets, worked on a multitude of craft projects, and is fantastic for trimming nails. Those scissors are more handy than you could imagine, I'm just glad that replacement springs are easy to come by!. Oh, and I've even opened a bottle or two of wine.

Now I also have my Dad's matching 35 yr old Huntsman. Although his may not've been put through all the many paces as mine, it's hard to tell the difference - either cosmetically, fit and finish, or performance wise. That said, I don't edc mine because I've always preferred something smaller for keychain, or thinner for pocket. It's a trade off you're obviously considering. But for all-round usability, I pick the Huntsman every time. It'll outlast whatever paces you put it through.

The Fieldmaster aka models with philips on the back, have the pine hole as well. If you want the pin hole make sure you are getting the newer models, older models don't have the pin hole.

In over 30 years I have never needed a corckscrew but needed a philips many times and the T-handle philips worked just fine.

I whittle/ carve with a farmer I just bought. Now I've only had it a couple days but today I sawed through a dried wrist thick maple root ball for making a knobstick/ shillelagh style cane. I like that the blade and knife as a whole is small enough to edc comfortably. I love the alox covers. I had worries the blade would be too bulky for finer carving but it's perfect for my needs.
I will be buying more SAKs

I have both.the Farmer with the bigger blade is very comforting especially in the woods. The Huntsman is still a good outdoors knife even withe the smaller blade. For edc the scissors and the cork screw screw driver can be a big help. I personally love both so my advice would be buy both you won't regret it.;) but if you only want one(who wants just one SAK?) I would say Huntsman.

I have not read the other replies, so will just agree with those who said "get the one with the tools you'll use most." ( or words to that effect.)

Back