Victorinox Nail Clipper 0.6463 review

As a retired barber I am well aware that my hair and nails grow at a rate that is about twice as fast as the Lion's share of my former clients and given these experiences I have accrued as a tonsorialist gives me some insight and knowledge that non-barbers may find absent from their skill set. I have tried just about every nail clipper sold at retail stores as well as the items available to professionals in the industry. Frankly, they have all left me thinking some one must have designed one of these things to work well, with ease and in such a manner that their highly polished surfaces with chrome finish that leaves them quite slippery in your fingers and at times rather uncontrollable. Which brings me to this point and this review will focus on the nail clipper and the serrated shears:

Recently while browsing an online auction house I noticed the above-pictured nail clipper offering from the people at Victorinox and after reading through the advertisement I decided to acquire one. It has arrived and I must confess to being rather impressed with it. Besides the usual knife blade as well as finger nail file/nail cleaner, tooth pick and tweezers it has a nail clipper that is actually effortless to use. The clipper actuating lever is folded to the side opposite when the clipper is stored within the body of the knife. The blades of the clipper are sharp and easily cut the finger nails rather than as in some cases by other vendors more or less chip the nail requiring more filling than you may have intended to do. Additionally, the aging process has caused me an arthritic condition in my hands that makes using most makers' nail clippers, too, painful to use. Whether it is the sharpness of the blades or the mechanical advantage employed in their design or both, having used these for a bit I have yet to experience any pain what so ever in using them. The fact that the body of the knife fits into your palm securely keeps the clipper from being uncontrollable.

And there is a bonus: The shear blades are serrated. You might find this unusual, however, the barber industry learned the value of these serrations several score ago. While it is an expensive process to have applied to your shears it does stop hair from being pushed off the end of the shear blades during the cutting process and it keeps you from chasing an uncooperative hair or two with the tips of the blades, which is the usual time a barber will cut themselves between the fingers or across a knuckle. If you do your own maintenance on your eye brows, nose hair, ear hair, moustache, beard or whatever hair you are cutting, you will appreciate the serrated blades and be glad you spent your hard earned funds on this tool!

The other tools are up to the usual and expected design and quality standards that the faithful customers of Victorinox have come to expect.

In closing, I can say I am very happy that I bought one of these Multi-Tools!

Last edited:
As a retired barber I am well aware that my hair and nails grow at a rate that is about twice as fast as the Lion's share of my former clients and given these experiences I have accrued as a tonsorialist gives me some insight and knowledge that non-barbers may find absent from their skill set. I have tried just about every nail clipper sold at retail stores as well as the items available to professionals in the industry. Frankly, they have all left me thinking some one must have designed one of these things to work well, with ease and in such a manner that their highly polished surfaces with chrome finish that leaves them quite slippery in your fingers and at times rather uncontrollable. Which brings me to this point and this review will focus on the nail clipper and the serrated shears:
proxy-image

Recently while browsing an online auction house I noticed the above-pictured nail clipper offering from the people at Victorinox and after reading through the advertisement I decided to acquire one. It has arrived and I must confess to being rather impressed with it. Besides the usual knife blade as well as finger nail file/nail cleaner, tooth pick and tweezers it has a nail clipper that is actually effortless to use. The clipper actuating lever is folded to the side opposite when the clipper is stored within the body of the knife. The blades of the clipper are sharp and easily cut the finger nails rather than as in some cases by other vendors more or less chip the nail requiring more filling than you may have intended to do. Additionally, the aging process has caused me an arthritic condition in my hands that makes using most makers' nail clippers, too, painful to use. Whether it is the sharpness of the blades or the mechanical advantage employed in their design or both, having used these for a bit I have yet to experience any pain what so ever in using them. The fact that the body of the knife fits into your palm securely keeps the clipper from being uncontrollable.

And there is a bonus: The shear blades are serrated. You might find this unusual, however, the barber industry learned the value of these serrations several score ago. While it is an expensive process to have applied to your shears it does stop hair from being pushed off the end of the shear blades during the cutting process and it keeps you from chasing an uncooperative hair or two with the tips of the blades, which is the usual time a barber will cut themselves between the fingers or across a knuckle. If you do your own maintenance on your eye brows, nose hair, ear hair, moustache, beard or whatever hair you are cutting, you will appreciate the serrated blades and be glad you spent your hard earned funds on this tool!

The other tools are up to the usual and expected design and quality standards that the faithful customers of Victorinox have come to expect.

Thanks for the review. I've wondered about Vic's clippers for awhile and it's great to have a professional opinion.:thumbsup: I learned a new word too, thanks. :)

View attachment 1377891 I think these were developed by Wenger and continue to be produced by Victorinox.View attachment 1377890
So sorry for the late reply. The font size is so small on the blade that I needed to get some magnification on it to help get through the distortion that cataracts presents. Mine has "Delemont"stamped into it and points directly in Wenger's direction. I learn something new every day!

redsparrow: I am glad you find the review useful. I have been considering the purchase of one of these nail clippers for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger sort to speak. After a near lifetime of buying nail clippers from nearly everywhere, I find the Victorinox model is roughly twenty times more expensive than those from Walmart or the local truck stop and all points in between for 99¢ or less. The others all seem to be the same design and likely are made in the same factory with various vendor names imprinted on them. If it is the only design being marketed people settle for what is available as I have done for decades. I do not know when the Victorinox model went into production, but, Amazon says, "first available July 15, 2014." Whether that refers to available on their website or available from Victorinox I do no know. One of the reviews on Amazon states that the reviewer was in Zurich and could not find his nail clipper in his luggage and went downtown and saw the Victorinox store. He bought their nail clipper and went to the hotel room, trimmed his finger nails, decided they are the best working nail clipper ever and went back to the Victorinox store and bought 22 more of them as gifts for family and friends. That is quite the testimonial!

This may be THE answer to the clipper I keep inside my pickup. For some reason, on trips, I tend to start picking at my nails. What exactly is it called?

Is this the red one as you picture didn't post? I put one in my cart on Amazon to buy later when I accrue a few more things. I have nail clippers and don't want to waste money buying the wrong one. I don't see a serrated scissors?

Last edited:
22-rimfire: The condition of picking at your finger nails is called Onychotillomania. I just dug out my camera to get a picture of the one I have to post ... the battery is dead and on the charger as I type, so it will be a little later this afternoon. Amazon has the Victorinox nail clipper and a search using:
Victorinox Nail Clipper 0.6463
will get you to the one I bought so you can see it. The photographs do not show the serrations but if you read the description down the page it lists it as a feature.

I think I have a picture in the opening post, as of now. If it does not show up for you let me know ... I need to learn the photo posting here on the Blade Forum.

Last edited:
22-rimfire: The condition of picking at your finger nails is called Onychotillomania. I just dug out my camera to get a picture of the one I have to post ... the battery is dead and on the charger as I type, so it will be a little later this afternoon. Amazon has the Victorinox nail clipper and a search using:
Victorinox Nail Clipper 0.6463
will get you to the one I bought so you can see it. The photographs do not show the serrations but if you read the description down the page it lists it as a feature.

I think I have a picture in the opening post, as of now. If it does not show up for you let me know ... I need to learn the photo posting here on the Blade Forum.
You can see the serrations on the Amazon photo with the magnification. That is the one I have in my cart and thank you for showing me which one for sure. For anyone looking, it is the one that looks like a typical Vic SAK. If I visit the one big knife store, I may buy in person as they tend to have just about every model.

Guess I have a periodic psychological disorder. :( It is not an every day thing, mostly when I'm driving long distances that I tend to notice my finger nails. I consider it more a function of boredom.

You can see the serrations on the Amazon photo with the magnification. That is the one I have in my cart and thank you for showing me which one for sure. For anyone looking, it is the one that looks like a typical Vic SAK. If I visit the one big knife store, I may buy in person as they tend to have just about every model.

Guess I have a periodic psychological disorder. :( It is not an every day thing, mostly when I'm driving long distances that I tend to notice my finger nails. I consider it more a function of boredom.

Glad to be of some help. I know I sure do like mine.

I am not a Dr., but, there is something you might look into. The Mayo Clinic estimates that 80% of the population is magnesium deficient. Magnesium plays a part in over 300 chemical reactions in the human body and thus is very important for proper function of the many operating systems we all have. Your Dr. can check your blood for magnesium levels and help you get the proper dosages. Chelated Magnesium has an uptake of roughly 50%, whereas, the Magnesium Oxide that is a popular item at the over the counter vitamin and mineral shelves has an uptake of only about 4%. Chelated doesn't have the digestive urgencies that the Magnesium Oxide possesses.

Last edited:

Great review!

One question: In the photo there looks to be a serrated tab on the upper left hand side of the image, just opposite the key ring. What is that for?

Jim

Great review!

One question: In the photo there looks to be a serrated tab on the upper left hand side of the image, just opposite the key ring. What is that for?

Jim

It is a plastic part that rotates making contact with the clipper thus raising the clipper away from the body of the knife. Without this piece getting the clipper out of the body would be very difficult. By rotating in the opposite direction it locks the clipper in to the body of the knife.

J James Y There is no spring on the nail clipper relative to retrieving the clipper. The lock is the knife spring, so about like a small classic blade. So, the plastic device keeps it inside the knife until it's needed without worry of it popping out and perhaps catching on something or I guess cutting something you don't intend to cut.

Here's a bigger picture of the little nail clipper SAK.
vic clippers pic.JPG

Last edited:
That’s very different, very interesting. Thanks!

This sounds like it would be a great travel knife. My favorite small SAK is my trusty Executive; but if I ever traveled by plane again (though not likely in the foreseeable future), where I might not want to risk losing my old pal in my checked-in luggage, this sounds like it would be a good travel replacement.

Jim

Back