Victorinox Pin Question

afishhunter

Gold Member
2021 Huntsman, Has the pin slot/hole behind the corkscrew.
Pin is long gone.
What guage pin do I need?
Any particular length?
I'm guessing a standard straight sewing pin will fit?
I can't see spending $10 for a single pin, that may or may not be genuine Victorinox.

Thankee.

Pins do come in different gauges and lengths, with bigger heads etc you can do research if you want.
I bought tailors heavy extra long stainless steel pins, because thats what I was given when I asked for a box of pins. Work grand.
Price - Victorinox are taking the p...
Victorinox pins vary approx 32mm long and 0.57mm to 0.65mm guage, Best I can I make the hole in the scale 0.75mm.

Last edited:
Yup. Don’t spend $$ on ‘victorinox’ pins. What’s a victorinox pin anyways…..
Most pins work fine. I had pins slightly smaller than the pin hole on my vic. I slightly bent it so it creates enough friction so it stays safely in the pin hole.

Thanks! I tried a pin from one of my sewing kits (red ball top) It seems to fit fine, and clears the corkscrew. 😁👍
I will just order a "few" hundred ... mebby a thousand? pins for less than Victorinox wants for one.🙄
Mite even go with bronze pins just to be different.

Victorinox sells a special custom straight pin? Geeberz! What P. T. Barnum said... 😆

(The Phillips driver on my Fieldmaster keeps the generic straight pin in place. Corkscrew on the Huntsman should do the same.)
The corkscrew is positioned so that the center of the barrel (or whatever the empty space in the middle of a corkscrew is called) is above the pin. It can slide right out through the corkscrew unless there is a micro screwdriver in the corkscrew.

Most straight pins will fit tightly enough to stay in place by themselves.

Thanks! I tried a pin from one of my sewing kits (red ball top) It seems to fit fine, and clears the corkscrew. 😁👍
I will just order a "few" hundred ... mebby a thousand? pins for less than Victorinox wants for one.🙄
Mite even go with bronze pins just to be different.
Suppose I should take a picture ...
View attachment 2360906
My only other (remaining) pin is green ... maybe for "Christamas Season" carry ... 🙄

What’s a victorinox pin anyways…..
Supposedly the Victorinox pins are made from a higher quality stainless steel. A lot of the cheaper pins are zinc or possibly nickel plated/alloy. In practice I haven't seen a difference. I ordered a box of cheap straight pins online and they haven't corroded or proven to be any less durable, and they're able to be magnetized just the same as the Victorinox ones, so you could use them as a compass needle if you had to.

they're able to be magnetized just the same as the Victorinox ones, so you could use them as a compass needle if you had to.
good point.
I need get a good lensatic compass for my pack. 🤔☹️
or a reproduction 3 inch brass compass with sundial 😁👍

or figure out how my "smart"phone's (note quotes) GPS works, and mebby get a portable solarcharger to charge the daRn thing. 🙄

Last edited:
Most pins work fine. I had pins slightly smaller than the pin hole on my vic. I slightly bent it so it creates enough friction so it stays safely in the pin hole.
I found this trick also works with the ink pen that you have with plus scales.

Maybe you re-used a scale that's been removed previously and it doesn't fit as tight anymore, even though you glued it and clamped it down. Or maybe you made your own hole for the ink pen in a set of scales that didn't come with that slot before, and it just doesn't quite fit the pen tightly enough like it should. Whatever the reason is, the Ink pen is just a bit too loose in its slot.

You can bend the ink pen very easily with your fingers. It only needs a slight bend. It can be a subtle enough bend that you might not even notice it. This will make the ink pen fit nice and snug in its slot like it is supposed to.

If for some reason you don't feel like bending the ink pen, another trick is to dab a little bit of superglue around the back end of it. Obviously wait for it to dry before you try putting the pen back in the slot. When the glue dries it will effectively increase the diameter of the spot that its on, and create some friction to hold the ink pen in place. This can also work for the straight pin.

I bought some stainless pins from Joann Fabrics and it fit perfect in the scale hole, just make sure you get the right dimensions:Length with head:

31,8037mmLength without head:31,0472mmThickness needle: 0,7014mmThickness Head: 1,8589mmThe 31.8mm worked for mine

Perfect Fit.
53583785316_ae8da63791_b.jpg

53584005883_c3c0e6e46f_b.jpg

53583785331_c59e5af3fd_b.jpg

53582917922_b6eef83e52_b.jpg

Last edited:
Back