Victorinox scales

tab

Let's take a vote. Do you prefer the Vic translucent scales or the "old" ones? Or do you vote for the alox scales?

I prefer the alox,the plastic ones are crap :p,though the nylon ones aren't too shabby.

:p I like the Alox and the Nylon. Both provide a level of grip that I prefer. The regular Cellidor scratch too easily and look crappy although some beleive that only the red Cellidor are really a SAK.

I prefer micarta scales. :D

micsak3.jpg

micsak4.jpg

I like the alox a lot. My favorite small edc is my Bantam Alox. I like the dull nylon economy ones for banging around in the tackle box, etc.

I also had if my memory serves a little "Tiffany" silver scaled Vic that was pretty classy, but of all my knives, thats the one I lose:(

I like the look and feel of the alox but in use I carry one with translucent scales because then I get those extra that I love, the tweezers, toothpick, pin, and pen

Alox is tops; too bad it's only available on a handful of models.

Nylon is highly underrated; it hides wear better than red Alox, or translucent or cellidor. And it's just rough enough to provide the second-best grip security, right behind Alox.

Both the original cellidor and newer translucent scales look great when new, but soon show wear; oddly, though, once they get worn all over, they have a sort of silky look that's actually very attractive. The worn ones are a bit less slick, too; but the fresh scales are the slipperiest in sweaty hands.

[digidude] said:
I thought I was the only one!
:) Your not the only one. I have had two different alox models and they were well built but they just didn't feel or look right to me. I like the classic looking red scales myself.
In the last few days i got a economy sportsman and I like the scales on it ok. I guess they are made of the same stuff as on the large locking models.
One thing we can all agree on is how useful a sak, what ever the handle material, really is.:thumbup:

tab said:
Let's take a vote. Do you prefer the Vic translucent scales or the "old" ones? Or do you vote for the alox scales?

I like 'em all! :D
  • I have a sentimental liking for red celidor and it's my favorite for that reason.
  • I like stainless steel because of the slim profile that it makes possible - my Director, which is an Executive but with nice "engine turned" stainless steel scales, is one of my EDC knives.
  • I like alox scales a lot because of the slim profile that they make possible.
  • I like custom scale materials like the ones all the wonderful modders seem to come up with, such as wood, bone, synthetics, etc. because they are often very striking.
  • I like black celidor the least of all but it still seems to really suit some models well.

- Tim

I like them all. I thin and contour the cellidor on a belt sander, then progressively sand by hand. I finish with mag wheel polish. They are a lot more comfortable to carry and still retain the traditional look.
Mike

Alox is my favorite, followed by nylon. I don't really like celludor, but it is traditional.

muskratman

Can you do one of those for me?

bluerosy at comcast dot net

Back