Victorinox soldier repair

I have a victorious soldier that I was given by an uncle many years ago. He bought it in Germany and it has an 85 stamped on the blade. Anyway, the reamer on it is snapped off about a half inch down. It is my recent understanding from a buddy that they older soldiers have some actual collectable value. (news to me)

I hear victorinox will fix or replace damaged knives, but if I have something they don't make any more, and has some sentimental value, should I still consider sending it in? If they fix it, great. But I don't want it replaced with a pioneer. And if it is repaired, does that affect any possible value?

I am pretty sure the only repair would be to swap out the broken blade for a new one, but the rest of the knife would remain unchanged. They put new scales and a ne pliers on my old damaged officer, and it was great work. I think you just have to send the 5 bucks or so to cover return shipping typically also.

I would contact them and confirm the sentimental value of the knife, and include that correspondence in with it when you send it in. They do their best to fix older knives, but if you are not clear, then its likely for a mistake to happen. Value on them is really hard to say, some guys want one that matches their birth year, or a complete range of years. Repaired would be better than broken, but its not going to be hugely valuable, more for sentiment than anything else.

An 85 Soldier model collector value wouldn't be that high. Pretty common piece.

As it's a sentimental piece, I'd just keep it as is, and pick up a Pioneer/Soldier for carry use if that's what you're wanting. Probably be able to track down another 85 perhaps if you look around.

I have a victorious soldier that I was given by an uncle many years ago. He bought it in Germany and it has an 85 stamped on the blade. Anyway, the reamer on it is snapped off about a half inch down. It is my recent understanding from a buddy that they older soldiers have some actual collectable value. (news to me)

I hear victorinox will fix or replace damaged knives, but if I have something they don't make any more, and has some sentimental value, should I still consider sending it in? If they fix it, great. But I don't want it replaced with a pioneer. And if it is repaired, does that affect any possible value?
Yes, send the knife in. On the form ensure you clearly state the knife has sentimental value and that you only want specific work done, then list the specific work. State that if the work can't be done (which I highly doubt is the case) that you want the knife returned as-is.

I sent in a Swiss Champion that had sentimental value. I did what I recommend above, and that is precisely what the Victorinox Service Center in Monroe, CT did. Only the work I requested. When they returned the knife, they also returned the $5 I was required to send for return shipping and didn't charge me for the replacement scissors spring, tooth pic, or tweezers either. I was very pleased with my experience. Victorinox really is a great company.

Last edited:
Back