Victorinox Spirit Plus and Leatherman Juice KF4

Got the Multi-tool bug again so I picked up a Vic. Spirit with the wrench and leather sheath, and I was at Costco (I think) and came across the Leatherman Juice KF4.

I decided to read up on this forum to see what the latest and greatest multi tool was, and I heard a lot of good things about the Spirit. I already had the original Swiss Tool, so I knew I'd be happy with anything by Victorinox. The Spirit is a little smaller and I like the curved handles. The pliers aren't as blunt as the pliers on the original Swiss Tool, which is nice to see. I like the selection of tools. I always have a knife on me, so I didn't need another plain blade. The only thing I would have done different is picked up the Spirit Plus with the ratchet wrench. I didn't realize that was available and got the standard wrench. I figure I could probably pick up something similar at a hard ware store. Anyone know if Victorinox sells just the ratchet wrench by itself?

Also with my Spirit the one handle is very tight and takes some force to close. I'm hoping it gets easier after being broken in.

As for the Juice, I wanted a smaller multi-tool to keep in my coat pocket. The size if perfect for this. It has a nice selection of tools and I was happy with the quality of the tool. It exceeded my expectation for a Leatherman product. Although when I first opened it up I closed it wrong and the pliers got jammed into the tools. It was really jammed and I had to force it back open and ended up slicing my palm with the tip of the pliers! I have pictures, but it's kinda gross as you can see a shaving of flesh on the plier tip. :) It was as if I had run a wood planer across my hand, but it's all healed up now.

WadeF said:
Although when I first opened it up I closed it wrong and the pliers got jammed into the tools. It was really jammed and I had to force it back open and ended up slicing my palm with the tip of the pliers!

I too have had this problem with my Juice's. It was the plier head that got caught in one of the flat bladed screwdrivers right?

It is the same with many a Leatherman tool: the idea is good, but the quality of the fit and finish is just not there.

gatch said:
I too have had this problem with my Juice's. It was the plier head that got caught in one of the flat bladed screwdrivers right?

It is the same with many a Leatherman tool: the idea is good, but the quality of the fit and finish is just not there.

Yup! I felt it was a design flaw, since the tools were all closed flat, and I simply started folding it up and it jammed, and it jammed good. My only option was to put a lot of force on it to pop it back out, and when I was doing this I was thinking "This is probably a bad idea and if it comes free I'm probably going to hurt myself" but of course I'm thinking this as I'm doing it and it popped and OUCH. If anyone wants to see pictures of my flesh on the tip of the plier,D*Šet me know and I'll post it up.:)

Back