How To Vintage Axe Refurbishment

Hi all!
Posted this once before but got no views, not sure if I'm doing something wrong here
I'm very new to the vintage axe refurbishment game, and I am after some help. I'm looking to purchase an old axe head, a Küllenhahn axe that may have been used in ww2 by german sappers. I want to buy it and refurb it for my dad, but having no real first hand experience doing this, I need some help. It's a 2.78 lbs head, so I'm wondering what size handle I'll need for it to be correct and useable. Also, any other recommendations you may have for a first timer who's also a uni student would be great! What tools I'll need, etc.

Cheers for any help!

Hello!

I think the issue might be that no one is familiar with that particular axe head type, so we don't know what shape the eye is, etc. and what kind of handle might fit it. I'm not even sure what country you are in. I'm guessing not the US.

Hi!

Ah fair enough, as I said I'm new to it so wasnt sure if that was any kind of well known brand or not. And no, I'm in the UK, I wasn't sure if this was just a US group or a more of a global blade forum.
Cheers for replying though !

Just to add, the description of the axe is here, although I cant for the life of me figure out how to add photos:
rare German Axe head made In küllenhahn, which could possibly be a WW2 Sapper/pioneer model although I cannot confirm this as theres very little information on the internet.

The information I have so far is that the factory was in Wuppertal-küllenhahn, and its original owner was August Helsper, who was later joined by Paul Otto. I believe the brand now trades as Helko.
I will continue to research it and will add more to the description, if I find anything else.

The axe reads P.AUG.DELLMANN (It could also be DEUMANN, DEIIMAHN, DEIIMANN as its hard to see the letters).

Cheers

Just to add, the description of the axe is here, although I cant for the life of me figure out how to add photos:
rare German Axe head made In küllenhahn, which could possibly be a WW2 Sapper/pioneer model although I cannot confirm this as theres very little information on the internet.

The information I have so far is that the factory was in Wuppertal-küllenhahn, and its original owner was August Helsper, who was later joined by Paul Otto. I believe the brand now trades as Helko.
I will continue to research it and will add more to the description, if I find anything else.

The axe reads P.AUG.DELLMANN (It could also be DEUMANN, DEIIMAHN, DEIIMANN as its hard to see the letters).

Cheers
I think this is really bad idea for a gift: Hey Dad, I got you an axe that helped murder fellow Englishmen during WW2.
It is just me, but I will never own anything German that dates 1939-1945.

Last edited:
See. I took that edited it down and posted all independent of any photo service. I find i take the picture with the item a bit far away and crop. If i don’t crop or have too busy a pic it says to large. Really surprize that pic posted.

upload_2021-1-13_20-48-7.jpeg
usually this is what my photos have to look like. Just the object no clutter.

Attachments

• upload_2021-1-13_20-47-52.jpeg
    upload_2021-1-13_20-47-52.jpeg
    382.2 KB · Views: 2
I think this is really bad idea for a gift: Hey Dad, I got you an axe that helped murder fellow Englishmen during WW2.
It is just me, but I will never own anything German that dates 1939-1945.

I can definitely see where you're coming from but having an interest in all corners of the second world war and plenty of other german kit, it seems a good gift
Also, never stay away from original 39-45 dated kit. That's where the money is!

I can definitely see where you're coming from but having an interest in all corners of the second world war and plenty of other german kit, it seems a good gift
Also, never stay away from original 39-45 dated kit. That's where the money is!
Some members of my family got killed during WW2 defending their country against German invasion. Forgive me for sharing my skewed view on the topic of collecting WW2 German gear.

Back