Want a good hammer for knife making? Take a class on MAKING them.

Apologies if this is not the best forum for this post but I wanted to brag on a class I took with Lyle Wynn and Stan Bryant. Lyle is a former Forged in Fire contestant and a very accomplished blacksmith. He and Stan Bryant teach the Tools to make Tools curriculum that they learned directly from Brian Brazeal. You come, stay with them at their shop and for 3-5 days you forge out all the tools necessary to make a rounding hammer. You then make more hammers, tongs, drifts, bottom tools, top tools, cable damascus knives, basically anything you want to learn to forge. ALL of the tools you make, you take home. It was an amazing experience and my blademaking skills skyrocketed afterwards. Seriously, interested in learning how to forge to shape better? Take this class!!
Check it out http://toolstomaketools.net

11_2660_58c4b7b6b20.jpg

So is this a good place for beginning people since you can make the tools you need to get started, or is it better for guys that already know what they're doing?

Red

Red, what's your location?
I'm 4 hours away with a little forging experience and thinking hard about this.

Sent via telegraph by the same fingers I use to sip whiskey

It's for all levels of skill. The more skill you have, the faster you get things made but they will work with you. I cannot say enough good things about it and how it changed my forging. Heck, it is a bit of an extreme statement but I'll say it changed my life a bit. I started trying to make knives in 2000-2001 and pretty much went the self taught route for most of the time, hit a few bladesmithing symposiums in Alabama but nothing changed the way and the skill with which I forge like this class. I came home and immediately forged my own rounding hammer using the tools I'd made in the class. Since then I've been making more tools, axes and hammers. I'm addicted to toolmaking now. ;) I highly highly recommend it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I discovered the class when I decided I needed a few more blacksmithing tools. A friend told me that I'd have a much better deal by taking the class and making them than just buying them. We made all these tools in two days. I think two days is the absolute minimum I would suggest but I think they will book one day classes too. Go price out how much all these new, handmade tools would cost plus the hands on instruction to make them. The cost of the class is easily worth every penny.

e025627374968e0fc14a3a1b98b64b69.jpg

87635de5d212c49343e4fb6e5e5aab9b.jpg

That's a better representation of what the full class gets you.

Back