Want to be a machete guy?!?!

I have been packing axes/hatchets around on all my trips for over 20+ years. I like them, and know how to use them.

In late June I have an opportunity to head east to Montana on a 5 day trip. We will be heading to the East Rose Bud trail. I have a friend that has done this trip many times, and has a route off he beaten path we have been looking over.

Reference:

http://matadornetwork.com/trips/9-montana-backpacking-trips-that-will-blow-your-mind

http://www.thebackpacker.com/trails/mt/trail_739.php

Sooooo I want to go lite. As lite as possible without loosing too much in the way of comfort, and basic tools/gear needed (the catch 22 for all backpackers huh).

My thought was to trade my hatchet for a good 13"-16" machete. I have looked at many over the last few days, and am at a complete loss.

For those of you that use/own them. What do you recommend.

Custom...... like a Fiddleback....... Go for the "Mora" of machetes like Martindale or Condor..... Try to find the middle ground?

In addition to the machete I will be carrying either my Bahco Lapplander, or Silky pocket boy, and Vic Super Tinker. I want the machete to replace my hatchet, and fixed blade..... or at least that was my thought. Kind of want to stay around the 13" to 14" range.

I'm looking at the Martindale 13" croc golok right now, but for $10.00 more I can get a ESEE?!?!? I'm stumped.:eek::confused: Thanks in advance to all! :thumbup:

Edited to add: pics of you machete folks dominating the wilds with your chosen machete are always a plus. ;)

Wanted to add..... I'm also looking over the Tramontina 14" bush machete. For $30.00 + shipping I can get it + a sheath and it's made from 1070. Seems to be a good deal..... but I'm not necessarily looking for a good deal. Just a good machete.

14" carbon Condor El Salvador. Very good heft for its small size, thanks to the 1/8" thickness, and a good general-use blade shape. You also might try the 14" or 18" EcoSurvivor models, which are a bit thinner. The 2011 Eco's come with a sturdy nylon sheath now, too.

I'd suggest you handle the machete before you buy it. They have many different feels to them. The specs don't really tell you much, imo. When I saw a Condor Bolo online, I didn't think I would like it. Got to hold one, and I had to have it.

I'd suggest you handle the machete before you buy it. They have many different feels to them. The specs don't really tell you much, imo. When I saw a Condor Bolo online, I didn't think I would like it. Got to hold one, and I had to have it.

I agree with that....... however I was just thinking for the $6.00 + shipping price tag I might pick up a 14" tram, and use it on a day hike near my old hunting ground. Any/all of my friends and family all use hatchets or axes. I can't think of one person I know that OWNES a machete.

From what I have seen regarding reviews.... most of the brands that use 1070 or 1075 steel, and are made in El Salvador are well thought of. Even the Fiddlebacks machete blades are made there.

That's because Imacasa makes Condor (it's a sub-brand), as well as the blade blanks for both ESEE's Lite Machete and the Fiddleback machetes. Good stuff, in any flavor. :D

That's because Imacasa makes Condor (it's a sub-brand), as well as the blade blanks for both ESEE's Lite Machete and the Fiddleback machetes. Good stuff, in any flavor. :D

Something else I just thought of is the Condors made in carbon come with a blade coating. It's sure to be wet...... ALOT. A coating might be nice.

Thanks for the insight/info. :)

No problem! Also, Condor makes the only stainless steel machetes that actually don't suck. My favorite models by them (Bush Knife and Viking) are 420HC stainless, and they perform as well as most well-made carbon steel machetes. :D:thumbup:

I prefer a machete as well. But, the ESEE is long and thin, great weight for all day swinging, clearing trails, green vegetation etc... I have chopped wood with mine, but I'd rather have something thicker.
The 1/8" thick Ontario's and the Condor's El Salvador add needed weight and thickness for better wood chopping and when using a baton.

The Ontario's are good, except you'll have to add an edge, and maybe modify or replace the handle.

I prefer a machete as well. But, the ESEE is long and thin, great weight for all day swinging, clearing trails, green vegetation etc... I have chopped wood with mine, but I'd rather have something thicker.
The 1/8" thick Ontario's and the Condor's El Salvador add needed weight and thickness for better wood chopping and when using a baton.The Ontario's are good, except you'll have to add an edge, and maybe modify or replace the handle.

This machete will be used for chopping, and splitting for the most part. I don't see me needing to hack my way through thick brush, maybe just the clearing of a small space for my one man tent. I agree with you..... as much as I want to save on weight, a thicker blade is a good idea. :thumbup:

I still think I'll pick up a Tram without a sheath to get used to it over an axe. I can always keep it in my truck/shop for chores.

I'll make up my mind on "the one" that goes with me after that. I'm down to the Martindale 13" golok, or the Condor 14" golok. Both about the same price.

The new Condor goloks have been upgraded to a full tang construction. Reviews I've read on the Martindale golok tend to give it only average marks for performance, while I have yet to hear anyone say anything bad about the Condor--in fact it's one of their most popular models. I love Martindales as a whole, but that particular one does nothing for me. If you go the Martindale route I recommend their heavy bolo model with the black riveted handle.

Is there a photo out there of the spine on the Condor Golok? Wondering how much taper it has.

Sooooo I want to go lite. As lite as possible without loosing too much in the way of comfort, and basic tools/gear needed (the catch 22 for all backpackers huh).

For me the next question becomes why bring a chopper at all? Seems like a knife would be fine for campfires, if indeed you are in a place where fires are permitted.

Is there a photo out there of the spine on the Condor Golok? Wondering how much taper it has.

I can try to snap a photo tonight while I'm inspecting my shipment. It's a pretty good amount of taper. :)

For me the next question becomes why bring a chopper at all? Seems like a knife would be fine for campfires, if indeed you are in a place where fires are permitted.

I will be in an area where fires are permitted..... and also an area that sees heavy snow fall/moisture during the winter/spring. We use timber that is down most often. There will be a need to get to the dry center and my fixed blades are not suited for splitting.

We are also taking an off-shoot away from the main trail into elevation and much more remote accourding to my Buddy. Weather can come in fast, and I'm much more comfortable with a tool that has the ability to chop/split well.

Sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. For me, nothing bigger than my plastic Mora makes the cut when backpacking.
Maybe that's because in WA state it seems I can always find wood of all the sizes I need for fires, and if the weather is coming in, I'm going to be in the tent, not making a fire. I'm not trying to convince you to do things my way, rather, just the opposite, wondering if I should haul something bigger around, myself. Always looking for an excuse to have blades around, ha ha. So far havent run into hiking or backpacking situations where I've wished for my Condor Golok (wonderful tool, BTW), aside from the occasional burly section of slide alder when going off trail. And those wishes are mainly because I hate that $#%@, easier to push through it than cut a path.

Blind horse knives have just released a Machete as their May special...check it out, I think you could do far worse !

I'd say go with the condor golok machete it's light, thin, and pretty compact plus goloks with there funky blade shape can chop like there is no tomarrow.

Sounds like it's going to be a cool trip. For me, nothing bigger than my plastic Mora makes the cut when backpacking.
Maybe that's because in WA state it seems I can always find wood of all the sizes I need for fires, and if the weather is coming in, I'm going to be in the tent, not making a fire. I'm not trying to convince you to do things my way, rather, just the opposite, wondering if I should haul something bigger around, myself. Always looking for an excuse to have blades around, ha ha. So far haven't run into hiking or backpacking situations where I've wished for my Condor Golok (wonderful tool, BTW), aside from the occasional burly section of slide alder when going off trail. And those wishes are mainly because I hate that $#%@, easier to push through it than cut a path.

I'm from Wa State as well (East side) and I know what you mean. I do the same on trips were I know the trail/area well. I have been to the Pasayten, and N Cascades with nothing more than a saw, and a SAK. This trip however is all new, and I would feel more comfortable with a a good chopper, and loose some weight by leaving he hatchet at home. ;)

Blind horse knives have just released a Machete as their May special...check it out, I think you could do far worse !

I did..... it looks every bit as nice as the Fiddlebacks I have looked at, with a great sheath. I'm hoping to not spend quite that much, and after reading some of the favorable reviews on the Condor golok........ I'm pretty sure I'm going that direction. Thanks for the heads up however. :)

Back