Wanting to disappear into the forest

I'm only 20 years old and I've Been thinking more and more about disappearing into the forest someday. Packing up my survival kit to the brim with my knives, hatchets, water, a rifle, some basic clothing items, food, and heading out into the wilderness and living off the land to get away from modern living.

Every day I hear about mass murders and people getting shot in the streets and terrorism. Even just walking out of my house I'm bombarded by people who have forgotten what it's like to actually live. People always having to be somewhere, cutting you off in traffic since their just so important, a world full of narcissistic attitudes and entitlement, I could go on. I would love to just pack up and leave for the hills.

Find a nice secluded spot near a river or a lake, build myself a cabin, hunt and trap for food, what little money I might need I could collect from recycling aluminum cans from the nearest town, only head into town if I needed to stock up on reloading supplies, and leave.

I wish I didn't live in such a modernized society. Here I sit writing on my computer but I could give this up, just like I have all of my other electronic devices. Phone only comes out if I really need it. I've noticed I've been so much happier and relaxed since I've cut most of the technology out of my life. The only thing I do is check facebook maybe once or twice a month, research interesting things on the internet and watch Netflix. That's about it, but I'd give this up any day for a bubbling creek and to hear the whistling of the wind through the tall, majestic pines. Hiking is about the only time I can really get some solitude, and I just enjoy sitting on a stump, looking up at the red pines stretching into the sky, closing my eyes and not hearing a single thing except for the wind and the occasional call of a crow.

I may be only 20 years old, and an odd ball out of my generation, but this is what I dream of.

Didn't know where else to vent/rant. Tell me some of your thoughts on the subject.
Sincerely,
Nick

You know Alaska is a good place to do that. Just be warned the winter darkness is a downer.

Why not just move to a rural setting. i did and love it, no cell phone no cable, i do have the internet. Life is so much simpler in small towns your neighbors wave at you and lend a hand without asking. Hunting for me is out my back door and fishing is a short drive. Cost of housing is cheaper and I have to make far less per year to get by.

Going into the bush is a bit extreme and likely your not going to make it long (not trying to be harsh or a downer ) but maybe try it for a week or two before you cut all ties

Small world, i just turned 20, and have dreamed of this since my parents took me to Denali National Park, and all over Alaska. I love Texas, but Alaska is by far the most gorgeous stretch of land on this planet. I plan to move there one day and live how id like. However, my nature means that i have to have a back up to my backup, and so i want to work just long enough to have some form of wealth to fall back on if i absolutely had to.
I agree that it is rash to just up and leave, but really the only thing keeping me from it is my wonderful girlfriend of many years. I halfway joke with her that if she ever dumps me im gonna be on the first bus up north to just bum around. I also understand that i am in no way an expert in self reliance, and so i would want to have much more experience before i just left to live in the woods, no matter what climate!

OP, i truly believe some people just arent "meant" for this time. I can barely work a computer, despite having had access since elementary school. While most people cant drive a stick anymore, i can drive anything with wheels on it. People my age talk about celebrities and rappers that i have no idea about. Most of our generation dream of never having to work a day in their lives, but i actually crave a life of self fulfillment and earning everything i have. Id probably fit in better if i was around 50 years ago. In response to your statement, youre not an oddball in your generation, there are people who share your view. Were just a bit few and far between!

EDIT: the sad truth about it is that most of the population doesnt know what its like to hear a lone crow call in the silence of a fall afternoon, or know what its like to be all alone on a hiking trail. I doubt most folks could handle solitude for longer than about 5 minutes. I think most of our problems would be solved if everyone had to spend a few days by themselves in the woods:thumbup:

Well getting out of the system was always a lingering and seductive thought for lots of people.

But...

For starters, I'd recommend you a two week long camping trip on your own. Try to use your skills and if you come back like fresh and crisp, make it three weeks. For literature take " into the wild " and some survival books. If your resolve is still as strong then, use the lessons you learned on those Trips and plan for four weeks.

This will help you to get a feel for it. Don't underestimate your dependence on the "civilized" world.

This is not to discourage you, but if you do it, be as prepared (not gearwise, but mentally) as possible and always question your motives and resolve.

I just want to say, you don't get it both ways. you can live apart from civilization, but not without it.

There are a lot of like minded people who wish the world was a different place. Guess what, if they all head to the forest, nothing will change. Find some people who share your views, and start living life differently. Travel, see what other parts of the world have and don't have. There is a lot of romanticism in going off and doing it all on your own, but at the end, what will you have proved? What will you be remembered by? Or change your path, and be remembered as someone who changed what they didn't like.

Nothing wrong with spending some time alone either, but keep it in perspective.

I would love it! If it was a rich land, lots of wildlife, I would spend half my day tracking and half my day fishing, Love those two things already! And maybe a couple hours of "construction" every so often.

I just want to say, you don't get it both ways. you can live apart from civilization, but not without it.

There are a lot of like minded people who wish the world was a different place. Guess what, if they all head to the forest, nothing will change. Find some people who share your views, and start living life differently. Travel, see what other parts of the world have and don't have. There is a lot of romanticism in going off and doing it all on your own, but at the end, what will you have proved? What will you be remembered by? Or change your path, and be remembered as someone who changed what they didn't like.

Best reply yet right there.

If you are a level headed person with more than average common sense, the world needs you here with us helping to make a difference.

But of course there is nothing wrong with some alone time to help keep your sanity. :thumbup:

Last edited:
I'm only 20 years old and I've Been thinking more and more about disappearing into the forest someday. Packing up my survival kit to the brim with my knives, hatchets, water, a rifle, some basic clothing items, food, and heading out into the wilderness and living off the land to get away from modern living.

First read about Christopher McCandless. He met his end by starvation while living in an abandoned bus in Alaska. Survived all of 6 months. Weighed 66 pounds when he died. Twenty-four years old.

I'm actually rather astonished to see this thread. I thought I was the only one in my age group thinking this way.

For years, I've wanted to disappear. Just cut my ties off from everyone and let them think me dead as I (try to) live off the land in solitude. I grew up in this pampered, weak society of authoritarianism and dependence, and I hate it.

Over the past few years I've been slowly preparing and accumulating gear. I've recently begun to sell off things I don't need. For now, it's for SHTF, but if my relationship fails, I'm making my final preparations (long hikes like the PCT, survival training) and doing it. I know nobody will come looking for me.

I don't know about Nick, but it is not my goal to prove anything or to be remembered by anyone. I'd rather be forgotten. I want solitude, freedom and independence.

First read about Christopher McCandless. He met his end by starvation while living in an abandoned bus in Alaska. Survived all of 6 months. Weighed 66 pounds when he died. Twenty-four years old.

There is no consensus on how exactly that happened. One of his journal entries stated he got some sort of affliction after eating some bad potatoes and began to starve.

Last edited:
I suppose it's not rare at all. I had the same thoughts right around that age. Perhaps it's just part of growing up and realizing the hypocrisy of the world we live in. Anyway it never happened and in my case it's probably for the best. To be honest my woodsman's skills were not up to the task and likely still aren't. I think the idea of doing some extended camping trips is a good one. Perhaps doing some through hikes, AT, PCT, JMT for example. The recommendation to move to a rural area is also a good one in my opinion, and something I wish I had the brains to do when I was younger. My commute to the wilderness is far to long IMO. A lot of good advice in this thread though.

Here is a great article that comes to mind reading this thread. If I were in the OP's shoes I think this is the route I would take.

It's a nice dream, but just that, a dream. The reality is somewhat more harsh. Even the old mountain men depended heavily on the rendezvous and trading posts for resupply, and even then, the trappers often partnered up for safety. Then there's the problem of where to do this. Unless you're rich and a lotto winner, or inherit some land, you'll have to buy a large chunk of real-estate. There's government land, but most places have strict limitations on habitation. You'll have park rangers telling you to move on, or an absentee land owner gets wind of you being there and the law comes calling.

But if you do manage to find a place, how do you earn the money to re-supply? I Don't think the local gun shop will take a load of pelts for powder and primers. You need some kind of steady income. If you own the land, then theres taxes. Again, the state will not be denied. And if you squat on public land, how do you deal with all the hikers, campers, dirt bike riders, nature watchers, fishermen, and hunters that will be traipsing through your little paradise?

Then there's the problems of living alone in the bush. That guy in Alaska managed for some years, but then he went and lived with his brother in California when he'd had enough.

Its a romantic dream, but like all dreams it fades in harsh light of the real world. I can only wonder what the last thought of that kid in Alaska were as he starved to death in an old abandoned school bus.

After a while lone habitation gets to be a bummer.

I walk out and I'm greeted by my dog. Then the goats and the horse. Life is what you make it. I felt like you way back and actually did leave. Was working in a Hamilton Ontario factory. Hated it. One day I loaded up my truck and drove up to the Yukon. Paddled up a river and made camp. Forget how long I stayed but got bored and went back. Got a different job. I was about 20 something. Now 55.

before disappearing in the wilderness forever, how about disappearing for a week? if that doesn't quench your "thirst" there are many very nice 200-300 mile thru routes that will immerse you for multiple weeks? if after a couple of multiple week outings and you're still thirsty, we have several very long thru hikes that will give you months of solitude

wandering into the wilderness forever is pipe dream; wandering into the wilderness for extended periods is within the reach of anyone in decent condition and is willing to do their homework upfront

I think it's a common dream. One I've had for at least 50 years.

But first go camping for a week or two or three. See how it works for you. You'll find there are a lot of things you hadn't really factored in to the plan that tend to gang up on quenching the good time.

I've found that a good 2 week trip refreshes and recharges me but I sure love the hot shower and normal bed after I return.

It's a nice dream, but just that, a dream. The reality is somewhat more harsh. Even the old mountain men depended heavily on the rendezvous and trading posts for resupply, and even then, the trappers often partnered up for safety. Then there's the problem of where to do this. Unless you're rich and a lotto winner, or inherit some land, you'll have to buy a large chunk of real-estate. There's government land, but most places have strict limitations on habitation. You'll have park rangers telling you to move on, or an absentee land owner gets wind of you being there and the law comes calling.

But if you do manage to find a place, how do you earn the money to re-supply? I Don't think the local gun shop will take a load of pelts for powder and primers. You need some kind of steady income. If you own the land, then theres taxes. Again, the state will not be denied. And if you squat on public land, how do you deal with all the hikers, campers, dirt bike riders, nature watchers, fishermen, and hunters that will be traipsing through your little paradise?

Then there's the problems of living alone in the bush. That guy in Alaska managed for some years, but then he went and lived with his brother in California when he'd had enough.

Its a romantic dream, but like all dreams it fades in harsh light of the real world. I can only wonder what the last thought of that kid in Alaska were as he starved to death in an old abandoned school bus.

After a while lone habitation gets to be a bummer.

Nice post & I want to add further that living on your own in the wilderness is a LOT of work. In northern areas like OP was discussing winter comes on strong & stays long & if your heating your cabin with wood that's a full time job in itself.

I will take the advice you all have given me and do a practice run with all of my gear, see what works, see what doesn't.

I omitted some stuff in my original post. I would plan to have a truck for supply runs and what not, not really planning on cutting myself off from civilization completely, I suppose there are some redeeming qualities, but I think it's best in short exposures.

I have watched several things by Dick Proenneke, which is one of the major things that inspired me.

I am an odd ball out. I do not like people. I can handle them in short doses. I have alienated myself from everyone I used to know, and it has saved me much grief and heartache. I truly believe I was meant to be alone, and it doesn't bother me. This forum is about the only place I can communicate with people other than my parents who I take care of.

I wanted to live in the bush when I was 20. I don't care one bit for the Western world which can only be described as a cage with a hamsterwheel, predictable, boring living, confined by walls of laws and taxes. However a compromise was made, ending up with 160 acres living a rural lifestyle not quite off grid but pretty close. I'm retired now and it takes all of me to stay rural as my health deteriorates due to aging. Looking back I guess I did live the life of my young man's dream

Back