Warped CPM 3V blades. Anything can be done?

Huntsman Knife Co.

Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Hey guys,

Im getting back into knife making and am going through my old inventory.

I found a whopping 31 CPM 3V blanks, all of them badly warped with 1/8th to 3/16th deflection.

I had completely forgotten about these. They were Heat treated by Peters a few years back.

I followed Brads advice for straightening the best I could but couldnt get them to budge.

I've never seen 3V warp like this before or since. No idea what caused these to bow so badly.

Has anyone here been able to straighten 3V with this much warp or will these need to be re- heat treated?

Attachments

• A75E6494-A4FC-46A8-8740-6635136F0FE4.jpeg
    A75E6494-A4FC-46A8-8740-6635136F0FE4.jpeg
    638.2 KB · Views: 7
Hey guys,

Im getting back into knife making and am going through my old inventory.

I found a whopping 31 CPM 3V blanks, all of them badly warped with 1/8th to 3/16th deflection.

I had completely forgotten about these. They were Heat treated by Peters a few years back.

I followed Brads advice for straightening the best I could but couldnt get them to budge.

I've never seen 3V warp like this before or since. No idea what caused these to bow so badly.

Has anyone here been able to straighten 3V with this much warp or will these need to be re- heat treated?

Carbide hammers will take it out
Tap, tap, tap..... Hit Josh up for one
Thread '*SOLD* Carbide straightening hammers' https://www.bladeforums.com/threads/sold-carbide-straightening-hammers.1966827/

Last edited:
did you get the tempering temperature from Peter's?

did you get the tempering temperature from Peter's?
unfortunately I dont have any of my HT notes from these other than that they are 60RC. When I tried to temper torsion straighten one I used the tempering temp Brad recommended. Cant remember what it was though.

The hammers are easy to make yourself, too. Ball Peen hammer, 8oz, and 3/8" carbide ball bearings. Drill the flat hammer head so the ball just about fits halfway down into the hole, then hit on wood and mild steel to seat the bearing into the hole more. I found a "Vintaj" brand ball peen hammer has a softer head and is easier to drill through and set the bearing. Did 2 for like $33 for materials.

Back