We constantly hear Vic blade steel is super soft...

jackknife. These were very small clams, not sure the screwdriver blade would have been thin enough to work, but will try it if I am ever in that situation again! Thanks. John

Their steel is an excellent choice for edc use,holds decent edge,and is super easy to touch up or sharpen...or repair damage in it,their steel takes hair whittling edge easily on any sharpener,and is 10x better in real world use than most of these super steels,and doesnt rust either,bit sharpens up like carbon steel.Their blade geometry is excellent too,made to be used.

I'll tell ya how I thing that kind of horse hockey gets started. The SAK is most likely the. most knocked off design in knives. Especially from that large Asian nation that has a lot of cheap labor. Case in point;

I had a co-worker that ran a drill press where I was employed in the 1980's. He was an older guy who was near retirement, maybe in his early to mid 60's. One day I was working near him and I pulled out my SAK of the day to cut open a box of parts that were to be modified. He looked at my SAK and stated that he had one of those, and it didn't hold an edge for s--t. I asked him if it had been sharpened right, (this guy was not the brightest bulb in the chandelier) and he said he'd tried but it was just junk and wouldn't even take an edge. I made a kind of mention that I'd like to see it out of curiosity.

Well, the next day he brings it in and I wince. It had a red handle all right, and on the red handle was a kind of white design of sorts. What it was, was, a total piece of large Asian nation crap. no way it ever cane near Central Europe. The scissors on it would fold paper over, the blades were wobbly in their slots and butter knife dull, and there wasn't a single redeeming thing about it, except that the nation of origin was stamped in small letters on the back side of the main blade tang. At least they admitted to making it.

I took out my SAK and handled to him, and told him to take a good look. Even to this country bumpkin who was not too bright, the difference was like night and day. I told him to take mine and use it for a day or two. He did. After a day and a half, he handed it back to me and said, "Huh, thats a pretty good knife. " He had cut open boxes, used the screw driver, and it was still sharp. He thought that all red handled knives with some tools were Swiss Army knives. I think a lot of the unwashed masses that are typical consumers, ( and maybe not too high on the Mensa list) just don't know the difference from a POS large Asian nation and the real thing. Sooooo, take one ignorant yokel and have him go around saying "Heck, I got one of those things and they ain't worth an damm" and you get some sheer bull hockey started that the rest of the unwashed and uneducated masses go right along with it. "Heck, I got a friend who had one of those and he says it won't hold an edge for s--t."

Once a bull hockey rumor gets started, its the gospel.

Their steel is an excellent choice for edc use,holds decent edge,and is super easy to touch up or sharpen...or repair damage in it,their steel takes hair whittling edge easily on any sharpener,and is 10x better in real world use than most of these super steels,and doesnt rust either,bit sharpens up like carbon steel.Their blade geometry is excellent too,made to be used.
Perfectly said! I’ve been using SAK’s for nearly 40yrs now and I’ve never had an issue with their choice of blade steel. The only people who don’t like it are the “steel-snob” type of people.

Back