Welcome to Redmeadow Knives & T.Knotts Knives

Redmeadow Knives

John Conner
Knifemaker / Craftsman / Service Provider
Welcome. Tim and I are just a couple of guys that enjoy making knives. We are separate makers, with separate shops, and different styles.

Everyone's welcome here, from new guys to Makers. The only thing we ask is that we keep things civil, and fairly clean.

-John

Last edited:
Congrats, gentlemen. No doubt this new forum will bring good things and well deserved notice your way.

Thanks guys, make yourselves at home:thumbup:

Thanks fellas and thanks for stopping by..feel free to post questions..comments.. critiques etc and join in.

Thanks gents. Don't mind the tumbleweeds and dust, we'll get some of the dirt packed down around here:thumbup:

Thanks, I appreciate the kind words:thumbup:

The worlds most ridiculous way to learn about a person, or "an interview with the voices in my head"

What is your sales strategy?

If you like a knife I have for sale, buy it, if you don't like it, don't.

That's a pretty pathetic sales strategy, you may need more bells and whistles.

Refer to my username.

What is important to you?

My much better half and my kids, the fruit of my loins.

Your fruit of the looms?

You're an idiot.

You say that you are slow as molasses, is this true?

No, I once raced a jar of molasses and kicked its ass.

Are you a full time knifemaker?

No, I am a full time human. I have a job, a wife, kids, and critters just like everyone else.

So knifemaking is a hobby?

No, it's more like an itch on my brain stem that I have to scratch. Knifemangling spurs my creativity and that makes my brain stem happy.

Why do you call yourself a knifemangler?

Because anyone can make a knife, but that doesn't mean they are a Maker. That's just my opinion, but compared to what I personally consider a "Maker" (with a capital "M"), I'm a mangler, but I mangle as best I can.

I spoke with T. Knotts and he says your crazier than a sh@#house rat. Is this true?

I cannot confirm or deny this, but Tim is a pretty smart guy.

What got you interested in making knives?

Tim and I got to talking once and we realized that we both had always wanted to make knives, light bulbs went off above our heads like in the cartoons. We started researching it, became obsessed and here we are. That was around seven years ago?

Why are you asking me?

I'm not.

Why do you have a subforum? Do you think you're all that and a stick of butter?

We discussed it and thought it would be a great way to get feedback and have a place to document our work for those who are interested. We won't push sales and we don't expect everyone to like our work, like I said before, if you like a knife, buy it, if you don't, don't. If you just want to hang out and lurk, that's fine too, but feel free to post. We really want to get everyone's opinion and get to know everybody. If you want to post "I like it", or "I hate it" that's great, but please tell us why.

I'd like to add that makers of all kinds are welcome. If you're new and want to know how I did whatever, just ask. If you're a Maker and have an opinion, I'd love to know what you think or hear your suggestion. I'm not into pissin contests, or competition, I'm into knifemaking, it's as simple as that.

Are you on Facebook, Instagram, or the like?

Never heard of them.

You don't have any social media accounts?

No, never have.

Where else other than Bladeforums can someone learn about your knives?

I don't understand the question, there are places other than Bladeforums?

How then do you expect to promote your work?

The Field of Dreams way, "If you build it, they will come".

You butchered that quote, it's "If you build it, HE will come".

Well, one guy isn't gonna buy all my knives.

I think there's something wrong with you.

My dog tells me the same thing.

Where do you want all this to go?

Wherever it leads. I know that I will always make knives. I'm a long term guy, I enjoy doing this and plan on doing it full-time when I retire.

When is that going to be?

Eightish years

What kind of job do you have?

The kind that pays the bills, and takes time away from me being in the shop.

I see that you're working on a couple of custom orders, is that your plan?

My plan is to make knives and become skilled at it, I have been fortunate enough to have been approached by some good people that were interested in custom projects. The one thing I've asked is that they have patience. You can have things fast, or you can have them right. I try my best to do things right.

Will you ever require money up front on orders?

No, I won't take money up front. Do that for a Big Mac, not a knife.

If someone sends you a design, will you make them an exact copy?

In short, No. I need some freedom to make a knife. If I do decide to take more custom orders, I'll pick your brain to pieces and make sure you're happy. This will sound quirky, but I get a creativity block if I try to replicate a design that doesn't come from my head. Give me the purpose, blade length, general idea and maybe an example of what you're thinking, and we'll come up with a plan together.

Do you have specific models that you crank out?

No, and in case you haven't noticed, I'm not "cranking out" a lot of knives at this point. That's not my goal or intention, I am working on improving my skill first, and efficiency second. Speed or quantity don't fit into the equation. I have a few designs that I am interested in reproducing, but I don't have a "production schedule".

Why don't you use your name on your knives?

When your name is John Conner, you get tired of Terminator jokes. Though I want people that have my knives to say "I'll be back", I don't want to hear it in Schwarzeneggers voice.

That, and it would make it easy for Skynet to find me when it becomes self aware now wouldn't it.

Where did you come up with the name "Redmeadow?

I have a son and a daughter that mean the world to me. The meanings of their names are "Red" and "Meadow". If I have another one I guess I'll have to name them "Knives".

Will you curl up in a ball and cry if nothing you make sells?

No, I'll just pile them up in a box and put the details of an awesome giveaway in my will.

Aren't you worried about making a profit?

Profit is a side effect. I'll not lie, it's a welcome one, but a side effect nonetheless.

You're subforum is like a ghost town on Mars. Have you considered doing something to draw more people in?

"If you build it, they will come"

There you go again, do you really think that's true?

In the long run if I do my part, yes.

Maybe you should work on your marketing.

How about I work on knives instead.

Why is there a thread named "Purple, because ice cream has no bones"?

Its an old joke that we use when a question doesn't have an answer. If we find something that we can't figure out, sometimes it's because ice cream has no bones.

We wanted to start a random thread without a format so anyone could post whatever is on their mind. A thread for talking about hobbies, interests, anything. Post a project that you're working on, a knife, random pictures, gripe about a bad day, make a suggestion on something, ask a question, get to know each other, whatever. Why? Because ice cream has no bones.

You've used the word "We" a lot. Do you speak for Tim as well?

Tim and I have been good friends for a decade, we think a lot alike. We live about 30 miles apart and have separate shops and styles. I can't speak for Tim but when I say "we", its something that we've discussed.

What is your best quality?

I'm blunt and direct.

What is your worst quality?

I'm blunt and direct.

Can people rely on you to be honest, straightforward and to do what you say you will do?

Yes, but anyone can claim that. I'll let my actions speak for themselves.

Anything else you want to say?

I'd like to apologize for my terrible sense of humor, and say that you are a horrible interviewer.

You do know that I'm a voice in your head, don't you?

Yeah, thanks for reminding me.

Okay...:rolleyes: I'll just slide my chair down here to the other side of the forum. :D

Got a pretty good chuckle out of that. The voices in your head are a lot more sane than the ones in mine.

Glad you got a kick out of that Wilson. Sometimes "about me" sections can put you to sleep!

Stumbled here while reading a Mack Mack reply on my feed. So glad I did! Those 2 bowies are beautiful, badass and workmanship can't get any better than that. Clean, detailed and heaps of humor thrown in, I think I'll hang around here more often. I do grind sometimes, but been heavily slacking lately for several reasons; your bowies are being a kick in the butt to get started again.

Stumbled here while reading a Mack Mack reply on my feed. So glad I did! Those 2 bowies are beautiful, badass and workmanship can't get any better than that. Clean, detailed and heaps of humor thrown in, I think I'll hang around here more often. I do grind sometimes, but been heavily slacking lately for several reasons; your bowies are being a kick in the butt to get started again.
Welcome!!!
See guys, I told you that I was good for something.

I don't think Mack knows, but we all have him on ignore, shhhhhhh.

Glad you like the Bowie's, stick around and ask anything you want. I don't know what the hell I'm doing half of the time, but we get 'er figured out;)

So, the other half the time, what exactly is going on, then? o_O

Back