Whack that pinnacle ! (short pinnacle review)

Hello folks,

View

some observations:

Now this is a cool knife when you get it out of it's box. You can see this was ment for the hardest use/abuse any folder can take.
Same rounded clip as on the osborne, but I tought I read somewhere it was revesible.. gues It was wrong this clip is not revesible unless you drill the holes yourself and pull wire in it. But the clip is on the right side for me, so no hassle here. Too bad for the lefties
biggrin.gif

The lock is the famous framelock which started with the Reeves Sebenza. In the beginning, the lock is not really a good match, and you can usually make the frame move by pushing the blade. But you can only move the frame back to 1/2 of the blade tang, and then it still is thicker then the average linerlock. it kinda bothered me at first, since I expected much better blade-tang - frame lock fit. then, after a while, I started whacking the knife open.. the liner moved a little further..hmm. Ti wear?

Nope. Ti didn't wear..it was just beginning to form to to radiussed blade tang while the frame head is flat. Hmmm..workhardened Ti frame face... sounds good.. my stryker is kicking for about 2 years now and the liner head is as hard as a rock (test it and file it... you'll see). The stryker sticks to about 3/4 of the blade tang after two years of daily use. I wonder how long this puppy will keep kicking? 100 years? 200 years?
After about 250 whacks it stopped deforming..contact area was now formed like the Ti frame head.. and the Ti surely feels hard now. Frame now goes 3/4 over the blade tang; but I can't see how it can wear. can Ti shrink? The lockup also did increase in strength very much. I now have zero blade play, in any direction, no matter how hard I push (leaning on the handle while blade back rests on desktop).

I can also move the frame a little back when it's locked, but it only tightens the lock. Big plus here, the harder you squeeze the knife, the stronger the lock.

Now the handle: the very good part about this knife is that it does not have the cutout to bend the frame.
That always looked so ridiculous to me.. make a thick lock and thin a section out so much that it's as thick as a linerlock..then what's the point of making such a framelock?

Benchmade solved this by milling out a 4 cm long groove from the inside of the liner, so the bending part of the liner looks like a U-bar. Good point there.. the cutout doesn't spoil the view, still the bending is easier and the U-shaped bending point is stronger then a flat shaped one I think.

The pivot on this knife is very strong, I'd say overbuildt, and of better quality then the osborne. but still, it needed a drop of ballistol.

Some might say the back spacer is bad, but i love it.. a kinda serrated backspacer, it really increases hold onto it when for example stabbing. So does the rather agressive thumbramp (altough not as agressive as on the SOG X-ray vision - that was a nailfile). guess my student-hands are too soft
biggrin.gif

The gray handle looks kinda sad..it would be cool with some engraving..maybe even polishing.. I dunno what do you guys think? polish it or not?

The blade: Very cool design..not too thich, excellent slicer. this is a folder that can actually be slice a 1cm piece of bambo in one strike. Tip is strong, but the grind makes it sharp. Very clean excecuted recurve.what can i say..it's a Benchmade.
It has a cutout inthe back were the oversized stoppin stps the blade..less wear.

some use: as i said, for striking and slicing it kicks ass. but general utility is a piece of cake for this folder. probably because of the flat grind and not-too-thick blade. The factory edge was real good, but you could see that the belt the sharpened it on needed to be replaced. Every two mm there is a small (1mm long) scratch up the blade, I think about 320 grit.. if you keep the blade in the light right, the cutting edge looks like a ruler.
I think this blade would be top of it's price class in tactical and utility folders.. I certainly would take it along for camping trips, where it's gonna replace my spyderco starmate.

The beauty of this knife lies in it's utility value, after that the beauty comes. In that way it's kind of the opposit of the BM 940..that one strikes with beauty and the utility value comes next.

You can compare the Pinnacle to a big loyal sheperd dog.. good guardian, can do some work.. can be hugged from time to time too. while the osborne is a small house dog, which is maily there for huggin' and playing but he guards too very well in retrospect.

Remarks:
1. I can imagine some people don't like the simple flat grey scales compared to the lovely green shaped osborne handles.

2. it takes some time to settle in.

3. clip is not movable.

greetz, Bart.

------------------
"If the world wouldn't SUCK, we'd all fall off !"

You can E-mail me at any time....guaranteed reply !

member of the BKS
http://www.expage.com/belgianknives
My photopoint page :
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=488545&f=0

I've been using one of these for about a year now and I love it. Bought it used and mine is 1/1000 of the first production run. I have noticed that the Black-T coating is starting to wear along the spine, but overall it is a great knife. The pivot pin on mine loosens easily, but that is easily fixed with a drop of blue Loctite...I'm just too lazy to do it!

The things I really like about the Pinnacle are the size vs. weight (very light for a full size knife), the snappy lockup (rivals the snap on my Spyderco Wegner) and the fact that it rides low in the pocket. The Pinnacle is probably my least-conspicuous pocket clip folder. I bought mine for something like $40 and the added bonus was that the previous user had spent time thinning the blade angle a bit, so the edge on mine is super sharp. Never had to sharpen yet, either...

------------------
Steve Agocs, D.C.
http://www.geocities.com/Chiro75/frames.html

agocs_s@hotmail.com

A very nice knife. It has become my primary daily carry. The edge holding is shuuu Perb for ATS-34.

------------------
Wayne.
"To strive to seek to find and not to yield"
Tennyson
Ranger motto

A few useful details on UK laws and some nice reviews!
http://members.aol.com/knivesuk/
Certified steel snob!

Nice review Bart!
smile.gif

Especially I like this comparison with dogs, it matches my associations exactly. My main complaint on Pinnacle is single sided thumb stud.
Hmmm, this is nice idea with handle's polishing (probably satin finish) and engraving. Or maybe inlaying? Do you have some ideas in this matter?

Back