what 6 books do you value most?

These are the books I would have a hard time living without.

1.Edible wild plants(a northamerican field guide) with good photos!

2. Camping and wilderness survival ,by Paul Tawrell

3. The yellow emperor's classic of medicine

4. The encyclopedia of dim mak, by Erle Montaigue

5. The encyclopedia of country living ,by Carla Emery

6. Tom Brown's guide to wild edible and medicinal plants

7. The Tao de ching, by Lao tze

I coludn't get it any smaller>

[This message has been edited by chrisaloia (edited 10 December 1999).]

I have several I like!

1)Everybody's Knife Bible-Don Paul
2)SAS Pocket Survival Book
3)Primitive Living Skills-John & Geri McPherson
4)Survival-Chris Janowsky
5)Outdoor Survival Skills-Larry Dean Olsen
6)Bushcraft-Richard Graves-(My first survival book about 15 years ago!)
Somehow I forgot this one! I'll sneak it in as a 6.5) Army Survival Manual!!

I also like the following:
Army Improvised Munitions
Animal Tracks from Peterson
Instinctive Shooting I and II-G. Fred Asbel
Traditional Bowyer Bibles I, II, III
Bows and Arrows of the American Indians-Jim Hamm
Flintknapping-Wallentine
Primitive bows (not sure of the exact title) Wallentine

I am still looking for a good book on wild edible plants!! Coming from ND I have had a TOUGH time finding sources of wild edible plants in the state. It isn't woods and it isn't mountains and it isn't desert. But it sure gets hot, cold, wet and dry!
smile.gif

------------------
Plainsman
smile.gif

primitiveguy@hotmail.com

[This message has been edited by Plainsman (edited 12 December 1999).]

Sheesh I'm just learning to read and quite slowley at that.

Here are some of the books I've read and are good reading/study material:

Unintended Consequences Excelent Excelent book!!!!!
On Rope
About Face
The Fighting Knife
The Ultimate Sniper
Surive Safely Anywhere SAS Survival Manual
Unintended Consequences
AFM 64-5 Search and Rescue
TC 21-3 Soldiers handbook for indivual operations and survival in Cold-Weather areas
Unintended Consequences
Have a couple of other survival books packed in the ruck, a excellent survival bood small enough to fit into a BDU cargo pocket and a Special Forces medical book packed with the med kit.
Did I mention Unintended Consequences?????

These are just the ones off the tip of my head or sitting on the computer desk. Many more layin around the house and bathroom!!!!!

Plainsman know exactly what you mean about ND, spent 6 years in Minot. Once saw the wind temp get to -120F with the ground temp at -70F for 2 days. Wonder why I have a full A bag of winter gear in the truck???????

Good question.

1) SAS Survival guide. John Wiseman
2) Bushmans Handbook. H.A. Lindsay
3) The 10 Bushcraft Books. Richard Graves
4) Tracks, Scats and other Traces: A field guide to Australian Mammals. Barbara Triggs
5) Nature is your guide. Harold Gatty
6) Jungle Man, The autobiography of Major P.J Pretorius (Rare; but if you can find it, this is one of the best books I have ever read on WWI Africa/Big game hunting and survival under harsh conditions)

I am a reading fool, truly, always have been. This is gonna be one hard choice, but here goes.

1. Crossing Antartica - Will Steger
2. Endurance - The Voyage of Earnst Shakleton
3. Outdoor Survival Skills - Olsen
4. Everybodys Knife Bible - Paul
5. Wheel of Time Series - Robert Jordan (Sorry no survival skills here pure fiction but I absolutly love this series)
6. Instinctive Archery - G. Fred Asbell

Add to this list anythign by Pat MacManus and I am a happy camper. I have all of his books in hardcover and was lucky enogh to get them all signed by the author.

AFM 64-4
AFM 64-5
Nature Bound
Primitive living skills
Wilderness Medicine
My book "Wilderness Survival"

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

SHRIKE9: When were you stationed at Minot? I assume you are AF to have spent 6 years there. I grew up outside Minot in the Des Lacs-Berthold area! Wonder if we ever met?
Did you happen to join the archery or rifle/pistol club while you were there?

I always wondered how long it would take to run into somebody from "back home" on one of these boards!
smile.gif

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

Plainsman, We were there from 92-98, I worked out in the Missile Complex the entire time (Security Police). Know the Des Lacs-Berthold area quite well including Tagus
smile.gif

Was a member of the Minot rifle club out in trestle vally.

Unfortunately I met the wife in Minot
wink.gif
wink.gif
wink.gif
she was going to the university (she's from Canada) so we will be back up that way this summer visiting friends on the way to Regina.

[This message has been edited by Shrike9 (edited 10 December 1999).]

Hi Everyone,

If you don't have Greg Dav's book "Wilderness Survival" you should get it!!! Ron and I highly recommend Greg's book among the best of the best. We recommend it to all of our video customers. It's well worth the money and would make a great Christmas stocking stuffer! You can buy it Greg's site at www.ssurvival.com (two s's)

Another good book about primitive survival skills is Tom Elpel's book from Hollowtop Outdoor Primitive School. It's called "Participating in Nature". We have a few still in stock here at Hoods Woods to sell or you can buy it directly from Tom at www.hollowtop.com.

Enjoy!

Karen Hood

------------------
Hoods Woods
http://www.survival.com

Too bad for you that only one book of him is published in English, but I rate all books by the German "Sir Vival" Rudiger Nehberg very high- especially his "medicine survival" and "survival" books.
Herr Nehberg is really an allround survivalist- he went to Africa several times where he explored the desert "Danakil", the "Rudolfssee" and the Blue Nil ( where his best friend was killed by local tribesman ), crossed the Atlantic with primitive means, investigated the Yanomani massakers and had to escape through jungle after being discovered by goldminers, etc.

My parents were hippies in the early 60's. that one was of the books in our library when I was a kid along with this awesome book called Shelter and the Mother earth catalog. All these were great books I grew up with.
but I should check out if my parents still own it.

thanks James for refreshing my memory

dim mak book is awesome for painrelief in all areas.in fact there was a thread posted about marijuana for pain relief.I think people can find other methods that are more preventative than becoming dependent on something.

The Yellow emperor's classic gives so much information on the earth's seasons and physiological balance.that you could study it for decades and still learn from it.

I am glad so many peopled shared their books.

thanks

chris

What does anyone think of the Army field manual on survival--the latest edition, not the earlier (FM 21-76)?

Bruce Woodbury

Bruce, Is the latest edition of the US Army Survival Manual FM21-76? I am not positive from your post.
I note that I found one reprinted by Dorset Press in 1999, with new material by Platinum Press in 1991, and supposedly exclusive to Barnes & Noble.

The smaller title says Reprint of Department of the Army Field Manual.

The latest edition is also FM 21-76--sorry for the lack of clarity. My version, the latest, is dated 1995 or 1996 I believe--I'm at work and it is home. I was told earlier versions were not as complete as the latest and I was wondering how this work was accepted as a quality survival manual? I've seen these FM's for sale commercially but I got mine issued to me a couple of years ago before I retired from the military.

Bruce Woodbury

1)Outdoor Survival Skills - Olsen
2)SAS Survival Handbook - Wiseman
3)Edible Wild Plants - Medseger
4)Cache Lake Country - Rowlands
5)Tunnel in the Sky - Heinlein
6)Foxfire Book

Hi Frederick,
'
AFM 64-4 is the training text for USAF Survival Instructors (it was our bible while we went through our first 6 months of hell). It has been out of print for at least 3 years. Tney were suppose to have a new revised version come out but...guess what...no one has seen it. I'll ask my Buds that are still active duty if they still intend to put out a new version. 64-5 is just a very terse text on 64-4 (very terse). I'm not sure if it is still in print or not....

A good book...that influences my thoughts on survival and was one of the building block for my book "Wilderness Survival" (Stackpole Books, 1998).

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

BTTT!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

In terms of books related to Wilderness & Survival Skills:

1. The Last Whole Earth Catalog
2. Living the Good Life - Helen And Scott Nearing
3. The New Way of the Wilderness - Calvin Rutstrum
4. The Wilderness Cabin - Calvin Rutstrum
5. Trapping North American Furbearers - S. Stanley Hawbaker
6. A Field Guide to Edible Wild Plants - Lee Allen Peterson
7. Any one of a dozen 'survival skills' books.

For general "wilderness and survival" reading:
1. The Journals of Lewis and Clark
2. Anything by John Muir
3. The Voyageur - Grace Lee Nute
4. Guns, Germs, and Steel - Jared Diamond
5. The Gulag Archipelago - Solzhenitsyn
6. Walden
7. Tao Te Ching
8. About several hundred more...

------------------
Hoodoo

No, I do not weep at the world--I am too busy sharpening my oyster knife.
Zora Neale Hurston

Oversharpen the blade, and the edge will soon blunt.
Lao Tsu

Back