What are the black film, dust and marks on "cleaned" heads?

PhilipWimberly

Gold Member
I had never worked on metal in any way before about 9 months ago. I live in a silly gated "Barbie" neighborhood with gas logs in the house. I won't bother with how this all started, but now I own 34 axes and hatchets. The oldest seems to be pre-1900 and the youngest is probably 1960's.
I've been trying to learn to restore them, but only have sources like this forum and YouTube -- and no background at all with this kind of work. Half the time I think I've learned something, I find out later I misunderstood. I believe I may have crossed over to a point where my "restoration" actually improves more heads than I hurt, but it's still a close ratio, I'm afraid.
All that to make sure you know who you're talking to when you read this question:
What is the black stuff?
In some cases, it is a (thicker) uniformed layer all over the head. It comes off as dust with heavy pressure.
In some cases, it is spots -- in pits I haven't sanded off, but also often spots on what feels like smooth iron.
In some cases, it is a light film, fading and darkening across the faces of pristinely smooth heads.
In many cases, I can get it "gone" with sandpaper etc, but only in the right light. Change the light and I can see it again. Seems to be equally true whether I've sanded with 40 or in 8 stages from 40-320. In other cases, I think I've cleaned it off in the afternoon, but the next morning, it's back. (I live on the coast of NC. Not directly on saltwater, but close and only my very earliest work on these heads has happened in the heat and humidity of our Summer. The axes are stored in a closed garage at night.)
Please don't feel like I expect anyone to type an education for someone like me, but if anyone has links that might help me understand, I'd really appreciate it.

Sounds like severe case of angry gnomes living under you garage. Whenever you are not looking they spray your axes with Black Ether. They do not like you working on axes. The only solution is to stop and send all your heads my way : my address sent in DM :p

Last edited:
I had never worked on metal in any way before about 9 months ago. I live in a silly gated "Barbie" neighborhood with gas logs in the house. I won't bother with how this all started, but now I own 34 axes and hatchets. The oldest seems to be pre-1900 and the youngest is probably 1960's.
I've been trying to learn to restore them, but only have sources like this forum and YouTube -- and no background at all with this kind of work. Half the time I think I've learned something, I find out later I misunderstood. I believe I may have crossed over to a point where my "restoration" actually improves more heads than I hurt, but it's still a close ratio, I'm afraid.
All that to make sure you know who you're talking to when you read this question:
What is the black stuff?
In some cases, it is a (thicker) uniformed layer all over the head. It comes off as dust with heavy pressure.
In some cases, it is spots -- in pits I haven't sanded off, but also often spots on what feels like smooth iron.
In some cases, it is a light film, fading and darkening across the faces of pristinely smooth heads.
In many cases, I can get it "gone" with sandpaper etc, but only in the right light. Change the light and I can see it again. Seems to be equally true whether I've sanded with 40 or in 8 stages from 40-320. In other cases, I think I've cleaned it off in the afternoon, but the next morning, it's back. (I live on the coast of NC. Not directly on saltwater, but close and only my very earliest work on these heads has happened in the heat and humidity of our Summer. The axes are stored in a closed garage at night.)
Please don't feel like I expect anyone to type an education for someone like me, but if anyone has links that might help me understand, I'd really appreciate it.
First and foremost, stop sanding those heads right away. They'll be worth more unsanded. If trying to sell them, no one wants to buy a head that's been hit with sandpaper--if it's a collectible model it erases the patina and history and can damage, obscure, or destroy identifying marks. If looking to do restoration work, they'll want to refinish it their own way.

It sounds like you may simply be describing a patina, which is largely comprised of a stable black iron oxide ("black rust") which does not lead to continued corrosion like red (active) rust does. If you're able to host your images off-site and link them here we'll be better able to assess what you're dealing with.

Sounds like severe case of angry gnomes living under you garage. Whenever you are not looking they spray your axes with Black Ether. They do not like you working on axes. The only solution is to stop and send all your heads my way : my address sent in DM :p
I hope my wife never finds your post...maybe, you do too, actually, because you'd end up with a bunch of sadly mangled axe projects AND equally poor saws, planers, levels, adzes and more. The vintage tool world is probably sorry it met me.

First and foremost, stop sanding those heads right away. They'll be worth more unsanded. If trying to sell them, no one wants to buy a head that's been hit with sandpaper--if it's a collectible model it erases the patina and history and can damage, obscure, or destroy identifying marks. If looking to do restoration work, they'll want to refinish it their own way.

It sounds like you may simply be describing a patina, which is largely comprised of a stable black iron oxide ("black rust") which does not lead to continued corrosion like red (active) rust does. If you're able to host your images off-site and link them here we'll be better able to assess what you're dealing with.
"First and foremost, stop sanding those heads right away."
Well, there goes my hope that maybe I've started improving more heads than I'm ruining. Dang it. I'll post some pics shortly, but just giving me "stable black iron oxide" to research has moved me forward greatly. Thanks. The pics I have tried to take so far really suffer in the translation from Life to Camera to Monitor. Varying light dramatically changes this stuff, but I'm sure I can find at least a few that will represent my question.
I don't think I ever plan to sell them, though I guess someday someone will after I'm gone. I'd really like to get a few "nice" enough to hang on a wall in my office, I guess. But I think my goal has only been to learn about them and work on them -- just preserve and respect these things. The more I learn about the people who made and used them, the more awed I am. How come the Wheel gets so much good press?! Compared to edge tools in the march of humanity, the Wheel was just a cute little gimmick!

And yet it sounds like a story worth telling.
Well, I'll tell it since no one has to read it!
My father died young and I had a strong and very paternal relationship with my father-in-law. A main characteristic this (again...very good) relationship, was him letting me know how badly I cared for my tools. Ha! For a long time (felt like it anyway), he spent almost all of every visit complaining, preaching, cleaning, oiling, sharpening and organizing. He believed he needed to solve this character flaw in the man his daughter married before his grandchildren were forced to live in my Tool Filth.
I think one visit my wife and/or his wife must have told him to stop it, because he started manufacturing fake reasons for us to be in my garage where he would start -- without addressing me directly -- picking things up, muttering and making Disappointed sounds. If he thought I missed one of his displays, he'd work his way around to the same tool again... and give the exact same show again.
When he died a year ago, it was my job to clean out his shop and garage. It didn't need to be cleaned and I'm sure he rolled in the grave the moment I moved the first trowel. Waaay back, deep, under, behind, I found what I'd later learn was a Bluegrass hewing hatchet and a very large '36 Sager Chem double-bit. They may not have seen light since he moved them into the house 60 years earlier. I guess they were his father's.
My first thought was pure joy at how rusty and trashed they were. I remember particularly scorning the "broken" hatchet handle. (sad story coming...you shouldn't read this part...OK - you've been warned: I learned what a perfectly offset original vintage hewing hatchet handle was a few weeks after I cut it off. I warned you.)
I was thrilled he had rusty, poorly-cared-for tools. I was on my way to show my wife and her sister these redemptive trophies, when I had my second thought: Why did he have these? Followed quickly by my 3rd thought: What the heck are they for anyway? I'd never seen a hewing hatchet and it had never dawned on my to wonder what axes with 2 ouchie sides were for. Was he a Viking?
Learning the absolute brilliance of double bits for logging and hewing tools for building -- along with the very comforting work of cleaning his tools for him -- pulled a loose string and unraveled a new world to me.
I said I have 34, but that was because I didn't want to sound crazy. I have 54 only counting straightforward single and double bits. More specialized tools like the hewing hatchet or carpenters', lathing, crate hatchets etc aren't included in any count I'll admit to publicly. Privately I count, re-organize, document and research almost daily. I love 'em.
I don't wish they were in more skilled hands -- I couldn't part with them. But I wish my hands were more skilled.

Well, I'll tell it since no one has to read it!
My father died young and I had a strong and very paternal relationship with my father-in-law. A main characteristic this (again...very good) relationship, was him letting me know how badly I cared for my tools. Ha! For a long time (felt like it anyway), he spent almost all of every visit complaining, preaching, cleaning, oiling, sharpening and organizing. He believed he needed to solve this character flaw in the man his daughter married before his grandchildren were forced to live in my Tool Filth.
I think one visit my wife and/or his wife must have told him to stop it, because he started manufacturing fake reasons for us to be in my garage where he would start -- without addressing me directly -- picking things up, muttering and making Disappointed sounds. If he thought I missed one of his displays, he'd work his way around to the same tool again... and give the exact same show again.
When he died a year ago, it was my job to clean out his shop and garage. It didn't need to be cleaned and I'm sure he rolled in the grave the moment I moved the first trowel. Waaay back, deep, under, behind, I found what I'd later learn was a Bluegrass hewing hatchet and a very large '36 Sager Chem double-bit. They may not have seen light since he moved them into the house 60 years earlier. I guess they were his father's.
My first thought was pure joy at how rusty and trashed they were. I remember particularly scorning the "broken" hatchet handle. (sad story coming...you shouldn't read this part...OK - you've been warned: I learned what a perfectly offset original vintage hewing hatchet handle was a few weeks after I cut it off. I warned you.)
I was thrilled he had rusty, poorly-cared-for tools. I was on my way to show my wife and her sister these redemptive trophies, when I had my second thought: Why did he have these? Followed quickly by my 3rd thought: What the heck are they for anyway? I'd never seen a hewing hatchet and it had never dawned on my to wonder what axes with 2 ouchie sides were for. Was he a Viking?
Learning the absolute brilliance of double bits for logging and hewing tools for building -- along with the very comforting work of cleaning his tools for him -- pulled a loose string and unraveled a new world to me.
I said I have 34, but that was because I didn't want to sound crazy. I have 54 only counting straightforward single and double bits. More specialized tools like the hewing hatchet or carpenters', lathing, crate hatchets etc aren't included in any count I'll admit to publicly. Privately I count, re-organize, document and research almost daily. I love 'em.
I don't wish they were in more skilled hands -- I couldn't part with them. But I wish my hands were more skilled.
Thanks for the story. There are many kinds of patina: Some could be black but also redish brown which can be mistaken for rust. Sagers came from factory with protective layer

Some spots of red patina for example, courtesy of franks red hot sauce:

image.jpg

These aren't the best examples of my question, but they are the pics that came closest to showing each of the instances of the "black stuff". I don't know how to attach my captions with the pics, so I hope you can tell.
The Sager Chem has been sanded a lot.
IMG_1727.JPEG
The unmarked Jersey hasn't been sanded except for the bit which required a ton of work I wasn't qualified to do...tried anyway.
IMG_1728.JPEG
The Bluegrass hewing hatchet is a good example next to the unmarked Jersey. Neither sanded, but one with "thick" black and one with "filmier" black, but consistent.
IMG_1729.JPEG
...and then the Warren with even filmier black, plus it is inconsistent, plus it changes on different days. It was sanded a lot.
IMG_1732.JPEG
The SB after significant sanding and last a Lakeside with no sanding.
IMG_1730.JPEG
IMG_1731.JPEG
I don't have a goal to improve their value -- at least not the price. My goal is to make them as "healthy" as I can and preserve their original usefulness as much as possible for as long as possible.
If I am understanding my black iron oxide research -- and if these are all examples of it -- it is actually a very helpful thing to have on these tools. Besides whatever additional damage sanding does, it removes this protective and enhancing cover on the axe heads. Is that right?
"valued for its corrosion resistance and aesthetic appeal. In addition to these characteristics, black oxide coatings also impart better abrasion resistance, increased hardness, and thermal stability to parts, all in a more cost-effective manner compared to other coating techniques such as electroplating or painting."

If so, it's clear what I should(n't) do going forward on future heads, but is there any advice for all the ones I've already sanded to death?

Yeah that's just a patina. No active rust that I can see. The black oxide is stable and helps protect the metal. I'd leave it alone on the ones you have!

Regarding the ones that are already sanded, I'd just smooth it out so there aren't any majorly obvious sanding marks in the metal and allow it to re-develop a patina with time. If any active rust does appear, just take it off with some steel wool and you'll be a-okay.

Looks like you have some nice axes. Don't be embarrassed about collecting axes and other blade tools even though most people won't understand. There's alot that need to be rescued and saved.
I use a knotted wire wheel on a 4 1/2in. Angle grinder to clean the heads up. It will take rust off but leave as much patina on as you want to leave. After you get done just coat them with boiled linseed oil it will keep them from rusting.

Back