What Becker ?

gonebad395

Ironworker!
Would the hunters here recommend for butchering large game?
It's hunting season here so there will be a lot of deer coming in to my garage. Last year between me and my 6 hunting buddies we butchered 27 deer. So I was just thinking I wonder if any of the Becker heads use theirs for butchering?

BK-15 or even a BK-10 Crewman.

Don't count out the Ka-Bar #5602 Game Stalker either, from Johnson Adventure Blades.

I like small, nimble knives for butchering, if any sort of finesse is your goal. BK-14 or BK-24 would be my pick. And maybe a BK-15 on standby.

I agree with daizee. When finesse is needed, I would definitely use one of the neckers, preferably with handles. I can't imagine needed anything bigger than a -15 for butchering a deer. In fact, I am going to sand the the coating off mine and hopefully get it bloody in a couple months.

Have you seen Dex's modified 11 that he uses for skinning? That thing is sweet.

Last edited:
I agree with daizee. When finesse is needed, I would definitely use one of the neckers, preferably with handles. I can't imagine needed anything bigger than a -15 for butchering a deer. In fact, I am going to sand the the coating off mine and hopefully get it bloody in a couple months.

Have you seen Dex's modified 11 that he uses for skinning? That thing is sweet.

Yeah I have a custom skinner that a guy named daado here for the little work. And no I haven't seen the modified one but will look for it thanks. The larger Becker I'm looking for will mainly be for quartering.

BK5. Just ask Jerry Fisk. Those were designed after old style butcher knives.

I dont butcher any animals bigger than whitetail deer, but bk15 works excellent. I also keep a bk24 on standby, but I havent really used it.

15 and/or 5, no contest, that's what these knives were built to do. I'd rather hear why you think they DON"T knock your socks off. Can send either model if you need.

I assume you already have smaller knives for field dressing and just general use so to address you specific question - hands down the BK5. Adding a BK15 to go along with it would be the cherry on top.

Another vote for the BK5 (8") and BK15 (5.5").

ka-bar-becker-magnum-camp-bk5-thumb.jpg
ka-bar-becker-short-bk15-thumb.jpg

Sounds like I have to save up for a 5 and 15 thanks a lot for the input guys

15 and/or 5, no contest, that's what these knives were built to do. I'd rather hear why you think they DON"T knock your socks off. Can send either model if you need.

Who's socks aren't they knocking off? Kinda new to the beckers so still learning

5 can still be had for a reasonable price but 15 is getting harder to find. I just picked up a used spare 15. It's definitely my favorite Becker.

The BK5 (my favorite) and the BK15 (BK5's little cousin) are my favorite and the favorite of those in the know.

Sales numbers unfortunately do not reflect enlightenment amongst the masses.

The BK5 (my favorite) and the BK15 (BK5's little cousin) are my favorite and the favorite of those in the know.

Sales numbers unfortunately do not reflect enlightenment amongst the masses.

This!

Unfortunately unless there are an overwhelming number of YouTube videos highlighting the 5&15, the masses are not going to go for them. And you certainly can't get them to think for themselves. I have made a video highlighting the versatility of the 5. I really do love that knife. Knowledge and skill do go a long way. And honestly I'd rather pack my 5 for long hikes than any of my other big Beckers.

5 and 15 are the most useful knife shapes in my opinion but I can see how other knives look more robust or cool to consumers.

Take myself, even if I never need to chop wood while hiking I'd still pack a BK21 to chop things for fun.

Basically knife knives vs fun knives and some real woods people might actually need something choppy like a 21 or 9.

I've used a BK24 (BK14 made of D2 instead of 1095CV) to debone a deer -- worked very well.

Back