What brought you to...

Busse Knives??

Tell us your story of how and why you are here, what led you to first looking into Busse knives, and what you found once here.

For me, I had done a lot of research into the "only one knife" aspect.

There were several articles in a now defunct survuval magazine, one of which did some side by side comparisons through numerous criteria.

Busse cake walked through the tests.

A couple months later, I happened to run into a set-up at a local gun show. After talking to the guy behind the table, I placed my order for my second Busse (I had bought an apprentice MS that day from him), a straight-handled Steel Heart.

He asked if I read BladeForums. Nope. So I started. It was then that I found this group of people. Decided to stick around.

Was very impressed about seeing and hearing about customer service, hellish warranty situations, and the general atmosphere here.

Decided to stick around, and am dang glad I did. If I wouldna, I'da never seen the evolution of the "HOGGIES" of today.

Alright kids, spill it out...:cool:

My first Busse was a Basic 9, however, I did not really "get into" Busses in a big way until I got my hands on a Lean Mean Street and about the same time was fortunate to spend some time talking to Jerry about his philosophies on knifemaking and other things.

Since that time Busses have occupied the largest section of my safe and fully 90% of my knife collection! And I have never looked back.

Oh, I should also say that killing, gutting and cleaning my fish catches with ease using that Basic 9 and other Busses also helped make me a convert !

marc
marc@bussecombat.com

Fine I'll be the shallow one.

I saw a Battle Mistress....I bought a Battle Mistress. Big steel make Dark Nemesis happy :D no profound or world-stopping reason here.

Well, for me it was moving to New York. I've always felt it appropriate and handy to carry a knife. I carried a Spyderco Rescue for years, but after moving here, I realized that if I _needed_ a knife the Spydie just wasn't going to...cut it:)

I don't know how I found BF, but the maker/mfgs section eventually led me here. I didn't know exactly what I wanted in a defensive knife, but after seeing the PD, I knew. The Busse warranty really lets me feel comfortable knowing my purchase is protected, no matter what.

Plus, I can't emphasize enough, how much this forum and user community influenced my decision. Just a buch of super nice, fun loving people who always have time to answer questions and bs. Not to mention, you can post a question and have Jerry or one of the guys handle your concerns directly. That's really the epitome of customer service and satisfaction.

I stumbled into BF many moons ago, started reading everything I could regarding knives. A lot of people were mentioning this Busse name, I'd never heard of them. I picked up a Basic 9 from the for sale forums and I've never looked back. At the time I thought this will definitely be the last big knife I'll ever need to buy. (my mind was obviously not working properly at that time ;) )

Since then I've met a lot of great people because of this specific forum, I've had a blast buying Busse knives and I really like using them also ;):D:D

I'm still waiting to get my first Busse Knife:grumpy:

I only need to save for a little while longer:D

Originally posted by 1whobuys
I'm still waiting to get my first Busse Knife:grumpy:

What, you're waiting for your first Busse today ? ;)

After seeing you pull all the ones out you had at INDY you must get at least one a day ;):D:D

For me I had saw the skeleton ad and was re-awakened when I found bladeforums.com and finally bought a DC Assault Shaker.... The rest is history....urrrrrrr the FUTURE:D

I have had many different brands over the years, both folder and fixed. They have all had problems with one thing, they never live up to the hype. When a blade looses its edge after doing some light chopping, or the edge rolls, or chips or, god forbid, dig a hole and break it when you hit a rock, how can you trust it? I know that a knife is a cutting instrament and deviating away from it's intended purpose "may" (and does) void the wattanty. In a survival situation however, you may be called upon to do those things with you knife to save you life or aid in saving someone elses.

That is what brought me to Busse. I had been on the forums for a while lurking quietly for a while looking at the different makers and dealers and came across Jerry and the gang and their motto in a nut shell, if you break it we will fix it. That sounded like someone who had pride in their work and stood behind it, no matter what. I kept reading and watching, and this off-shoot startp up called SRKW. The company lets you decide what the warranty includes/covers, and it is in writing on the web site for all to read. Called and got one CT. From that point after testing the SR101 and how good it was, the INFI had to be great. BM, ZTSH and NO later I can't be happier.

It is also good to deal with quality people. LT has never responed to any of my emails thanking me or commenting on my collection of knives, Jerry has. When I got an email back from Shaggi and BB, that was more that I got from any other company. Bottom Line: It is good to deal with people, not a corporation.

Cerberus

Look, user advice, warranty...the fact that i would have to wait some time before I got it...I had the sense of they make it when u order it kind of thinking...plus, absence makes the heart grow fonder...;)

All those things plus, this and the Busse forum hammered it home...

My story is probably similar to many others. I woke up one day and decided that I really wanted one incredible knife that would stand up to anything, something I could bet my life on. I had been collecting since I was a kid, and none of the knives I owned struck me as the incredible piece of steel I had in mind. So I got online and started looking around. There are a ton of manufacturers and custom shops out there… once I came across the forums I learned about Busse… now I am skeptical and even after reading everything had my doubts. So I ordered an Assault Shaker just to see what the steel felt like in my hand… meaning heft, quality of finish, etc. Once I had the AS in hand I was instantly convinced. That had to be the most incredible little knife I had ever held. The same day I got online and started to sell off and trade the rest of my collection for more INFI. The next knife was an NO, after that a BM, now a few blades later I am still convinced that there is no other company or knife I would want to bet my life on other than Busse… and believe me I have seen and held all of the so called competition.

Now I am anxiously awaiting my INFIcoot and Desert NO… If I ever have to sell a knife off to pay for something I also know these blades hold their value! As for the ultimate knife… it is probably the SH-E (in my opinion), or maybe the BM-E, PB’s? Damn, I love them all!

I bought an A2, birds beaked, straight handled Steel Heart 2 after reading a great article in TK back in '95 (And it cost a whopping $237!). It was such a cool knife, but I wanted something bigger. Then I see this amazing knife called the Battle Mistress, in a new wonder steel called INFI, and I had to have one. I also ordered an A2 Mean Street to go along with it. This was my perfect wilderness combo for many years. Then within the past couple of years, Busse's became collectible (Especially the straight handles) and I foolishly sold them all :( I couldn't see using knives that had almost tripled in value, and I didn't want to keep around any "safe queens" If I could go back, I'd still have the BM and MS, and they'd be lovingly abused to this day! Ah well, live and learn. I am currently purchasing the greatly affordable (and abusable!) Swamp Rats though. The Battle Rat will be used in loving memory of it's ancestor, the Battle Mistress.

My story is much the same as many here. I have been buying and collecting knives off and on since I was a young boy. I never really bought a knife I didn't use in the field at least a couple of times, so something I could beat on was what I was looking for. I wouldn't say that I was looking for the ultimate knife, but just one that met my expectations. I had big bowies from other makers (mass production), military surplus knives, hollow handle knives (most broken at the cheap a$$ rat tail tang. So as I got older I decided that full tang was the way to go. I collected Ek knifes for a little while, but finding the quality WWII era blades was hard and most were not something I felt I wouuldn't want to use in the field because of their historic value. So I was browsing the magazine rack at the local grocery store and came across an ad for the Killer B. I thought this has some promise, so I made a note of the company's email address and it all took off from there. I lurked for a few days and then jumped in whole "hog", so to speak. I bought what I intended to be my "one and only knife I'll ever need", which was a CG Steelheart from Papathud. That was just a little more than a year ago and look at me now! I love everything I have seen come out of the Busse Shop, not something I can say for other makers/manufacturers. The warranty is just an added bonus. I can honestly say that it was a big selling point for me at the beginning, but as my collection piles up, I rarely even think about it. I doubt I will ever take a Busse to the breaking point, but if I do I know it is there. Then there is the fact that Jerry has a very personal hand on the whole operation. The whole time I have bought knives over the years, Jerry is the only big wig who has ever called me, at home on a Sunday afternoon no less! Busse comprises 98% of my knife collection, the other two percent, if they even = a % are a blue bone Case Hobo, which I have forgetten where it is and an Al Mar SERE2000, which will soon become the property of my brother, when the Busse folder comes out. So you see my friends, it appears that I am a lifer for Busse Combat. So my advice to the new guys is, run while you still can!!!!! Seriously, there is no better company in this business with which to do business and that is my two cents! I can't forget all the comeraderie that I have found on the forums. I don't get out much since I don't go for the bar scene, so I get to BS with all these guys who like what I like. It works for me and it is a good way to network for blade trades :D.

I came across Busse here on the forums. I lurked in this forum for a while, reading all I could about these knives that I liked more and more everyday. My first Busse was the Active Duty! I love that little blade. I also really enjoy the this forum.

I saw an ad in the old Fighting Knives magazine for an ATS-34 Steelheart, and decided I had to have it. After I got it (and the Busse patch that Jerry included) I had to get more. When the Badger came out I got one followed by a Combat Recruit. I just seemed to keep coming back for more, and couldn`t be happier!

John

I do not buy them because I like them, I buy them so I get a chance to talk to the great people that inhabit this makers forum...:rolleyes: :D

NOT!;)

My first was a NO from ebay. I was a newbie on this forum way back then and started sticking around because of all the talk on how they were the best of the best - they were right! Our very own Mr. Isaacson helped me through the choices to be made. So, thanks Eric...;)

Guy Guy Guy, you can tell you're not from around here. You have yet to learn that you can't trust anybody who moves TO Kentucky....;) :p :cool: :D

Originally posted by thatmguy
Guy Guy Guy, you can tell you're not from around here. You have yet to learn that you can't trust anybody who moves TO Kentucky....;) :p :cool: :D

Not trust a person that moves to Kentucky? Why not? My home state is quite possibly the most wonderful place to be. I don't blame anyone that sees the sheer possibility that Kentucky offers.

Now if you were to say, "Don't trust anybody that qualifies as an INFI hog," I couldn't disagree. :D

Of course, I'm fairly safe from Eric. I don't own any variants.

Yet.

(I can't afford one yet.)

Ahem. Uh, Kentucky rules.

My introduction to Busse came quite recently when Andrew Lynch showed up wearing a "Got INFI?" shirt. I inquired, and he proved to me that he does indeed "got" INFI.

Now, I've got a Battle Mistress E on the way.

Victory!

Back