What changes are being made to the Military?

I have heard of a steel and lock change. What is going to be changed and when?

Sorry that I can't remember the thread, but in it Sal mentioned that the new Military will have the Compression Lock and CPM-S30V steel.

Sounds sweet, doesn't it?:D Not too sure on when, though.

KBR- In a recent post Sal did say that the steel would be changed to CPM-S30V because it is alot less brittle than CPM-440V.
I would like a liner-locking CPM-S30V Military. Even though the liner lock is thought to be inferior to the compression lock, it is very well done in this model and seems to flow with the design.

When are these changes going to be made?
Thank you for the replies!

K man, I agree with you about the liner lock being very well constructed in the Military. I know that there are many who don't care too much for the liner lock, because of the chance of it being disengaged while gripping the handle, but I haven't had any problems with mine.

Even if I purposely attempt to grip in a fashion that would disengage it, the liner lock on this Spydie remains steadfast and unaffected. :)

As far as when the changes will be made, hopefully Sal will have time to reply to my post about the new Military ETA with the answer. I'm pretty sure that it won't be anytime soon, though.

I hope that the compression lock used in the milli is better than the one in the Vesuvius.Even the one in my NIB forum model seems a little loose.

I wish the Military could stay the same design with only steel upgrades like the Buck 110, but I also respect Spyderco's obligation to knifenuts to be ever evolving.
There were proposed changes in the past like the addition of the Securlok by Frank Centofante that never happened, so maybe I might just get lucky and they keep the nestled liner lock.

Am I the only one who feels that the Military should retain the liner lock and just get a new steel? Lets hear your opinions!

My Military's liner lock is awesome. It engages fully but still to the left, and it takes a bit of effort to disengage it, which is good. That said, I wouldn't mind seeing a compression lock version, IF it doesn't pinch my hand when opening (one of the things the Vesuvius would sometimes do, which is why I declined to buy one).

I really would love to have a Military in VG-10! I suppose because I don't know how difficult the CPM steels are to resharpen or to get a really sharp-feeling edge back on them...but I have heard it can be difficult,I haven't had to yet. But if the VG-10 on my Endura is any indication, it's an awesome-performing steel!

If Sal incorporates the strong detent in the handle that holds the blade shut, as on the Salsa, the compression lock could work in the Military without fear of accidental opening.
Jim

My vote is on Military with Compression Lock (with strong, Salsa-like denent and tip-down carry position) and VG-10 blade. There is nothing wrong with current version in CPM 440V and liner lock. If I would be pressed, choked and tortured hard to keep only one knife greatly probably it would be current version of Military.

But SPYDERCO wouldn’t be SPYDERCO if wouldn’t propose knife lovers something innovative, better than current, isn’t it?

Regarding Changes: The COLOR will also be changed. The new color will be either Navy Blue or Desert Tan.

Someone asked for opinion. Mine is, all recent Compression locks are better than the one in the Vesuvius, and two hundred times better than any liner lock. Lock strength is measurable, the compression lock IS stronger but you didn’t ask for facts so….

:cool:

Well it looks like I am just some crazy liner lock lovin' freak:)
A compression lock would be cool, but there is just something about the simplicity of the liner lock that gets me. It is so easy to close, in my opinion the easiest of any locking mechanisms.

If the compression lock is done as well as the liner lock was, I am sure that it would make for one sweet Spydie!!!

Liner locks are easy to manipulate, the compression lock is rough and tough!

C. Lock + G-10 = Double Liners! Hee Hee!

Pachucks

A new steel or steels(!) would be quite cool. S30V, VG-10 and new scale colors too?!WOW!:eek:
I'm not so sure about that Compression Lock though. The only example I have is my Vesuvius and that sucker bites the hand that opens it. If this and the detent problem have been solved and a huskier version of the Comp. Lock are possible, then I'll give one a try for sure. Oh, yeah! Double steel liners ALL THE WAY!

roguesoul- I prefer the liner/ integral (CRK) lock because of the fact that I dont have to reposition my fingers to close it. My thumb never moves far from the liner lock as I use the knife, so when I am done cutting I just push the liner over and the blade drops. The choil hits my finger preventing any cuts.

With the compression lock I have to reposition my thumb and some of my hand in order to close it.

I guess it all depends on how you hold it, what fingers you use, ect., But the liner lock works best for me :)

:)

Back