What Did You Cut with Your Buck (Yesterday or Today)?

Well there is always next year Jerry and if you don't
want to wait ,we will be doin' it again Dec.21 ,2007.
Probably the same menu.
So come on down!:D and any other hungry Buckaroo.

Thanks for the invite....and on my 43rd birthday to boot! I would love to visit the Lone Star and escape this crappy rainy cold gray dismal Central Illinios non-sense.:( Are the 'Boys in town that weekend? I guess more appropriately, the CowGirls? :p
It would appear that I may just want the opportunity to see one of the few 124s you have...;)
Dave

Yesterday my son and I gutted his cow elk, I also gutted a whitetail doe for my friends son. I opened both animals up with my Buck 112 BG-42, I used a saw for the brisket and pelvic bone on the elk, but on the doe i used my 112 Bg-42 for the brisket and pelvic bone, and when i got home i removed all eight legs at the joints with my 112 Bg-42 and skinned both animals with the 112 BG-42 and cut around their necks and took their heads off at the joint with the 112 Bg42. I then took my knife in and washed it up and put a drop of vegetable oil at the pivot point and the knife is still able to shave the hair on my arm. I've done a few grouse, cut a piece of rope, gutted 1 moose, gutted, skinned and removed the legs and head on 1 elk and gutted, skinned and removed the legs and head on 1 deer so far this year with this 112 Bg-42 and it's still able to shave hair on my arm, now it's not hair popping like a razor sharp edge, I can feel a drag/pull on my arm but it will still shave the hair on my arm, now thats impressive. I almost forgot i also cut 3 chestnuts in half with this knife also.

I used my 110 2007 Koa Damascus to cut open the box for my 419 S30V.
Someone asked if the 419 would replace the 110 as THE BUCK of Choice.
I'm thinking so... at least for me.
Ease of opening.
Cleaning.
Steel snob.
Blade shape.
Fit in my mitt.
Beautiful.

Click the pic:

After seeing this pic, I cannot wait for my S30V kalingas to arrive!
I really like the smooth one handed opening on that Kalinga! Perfect sized blade also!
Thanks Goose ;)

After seeing this pic, I cannot wait for my S30V kalingas to arrive!
I really like the smooth one handed opening on that Kalinga! Perfect sized blade also!
Thanks Goose ;)

I see you say kalingas, how many did you order?

I used one of my 119's for slicing up the turkey leftovers. Somebody else picked up the blade and cut celery saying, 'wow this thing feels good in the hand', to which I just smiled. I suspect many 110's are being used as we speak in a similar role.

I wonder if the Buck 124 sees any use in the kitchen. I know of more than one fellow who has enjoyed the slicing ability of the sleek lined 120. That knife is big, but feels light and quick in the palm. It is one of my favorite knives in the Buck line.

I finally found a cutting task that was a bit beyond my BG-42ized Buck 110 this past weekend.

The "skateboard" (nonskid) tape I put on the front straps of some of my pistolas was worn to where it needed replaced. So I spent a little while cutting and applying new pieces of nonskid tape, but instead of using a crappy beater knife, I used my BG-42ized Buck.

If you're not familiar with nonskid tape, some of it can be more abrasive and dulling than cutting old carpet with lots of sand and grit in it. The Buck did okay, but when I had to trim around some curves with first centimeter or so of the blade, I think I scraped metal a few times. The edge was rolled/bent a bit, so I knew I had exceeded the abilities of the knife the way I have it sharpened.

On the bright side, it took about three minutes to fix to where you'd never know it happened using my diamond rods.

Next time I'll use a disposable razor knife, but I had to try it once!

Buck 371 stockman. I use it at school (college) when I need something that fits well in my pocket and something with a pocket clip isnt the the most socialy acceptable. Three blades make for nice work on mail, string, apples and the like. The reason I bought it was that becase the "pocket knife" look was much less offensive to some of the more shepish people I have class with, they dont pay attention to something that looks like what "grandpa" or "dad" had all the time vs. my usual cold steel ti-light that looks "tatical" (or God forbid the gun I'm licensed to carry in three states). Personaly, I've never had that issue, but I guess thats because I've had a knife almost all the time since I was in first grade, maybe even before. Its just a natural part of life, and mans first and most important tool.

Today I was making another set of boot laces from 550 cord. Naturally I used my BG-42isze Buck 110 to cut the para cord. Then I realized that the cord was too bulky to fit through the eyelets on the boots in question. The Buck came in handy again, because all I had to do was cut the seared ends from the new laces, then remove the strands of the "core." Then the outer part of the core would fit, but it was tough to get it started in the eyelets.

That's when I used my Buck 110 in a new way: I melted the ends of the cord (just the outer part) and after it melted, I used the bolster of the 110 and desktop to mold a "point" from the melty nylon.

Job completed!

Yeah Jeff...what Scoot said...I could use a fishwich! Been a few months. Last one I had was a Filet o' Fish at McD's.

Hey Rhino...I like your Martha Stewart hint for the paracord. Cool.

I cut my left index finger while slicing some ham yesterday.

View attachment 83675

Here is a crappie I caught today.Buck 123 used to clean.
Hawkeye

Jeff,
At this rate, you had better buy another 123 fillet, you have that one just about wore out filleting those slabs!!!!!!!!! ;)

HHmmmm Goose, McD's Fillet 'O' fish or fresh crappies???? I bet the fresh crappies best 'em everytime ;)
Maybe a 123 fillet for EDC? It would go well with the 889/120/Kalinga/ :D

Jeff,
At this rate, you had better buy another 123 fillet, you have that one just about wore out filleting those slabs!!!!!!!!! ;)

HHmmmm Goose, McD's Fillet 'O' fish or fresh crappies???? I bet the fresh crappies best 'em everytime ;)
Maybe a 123 fillet for EDC? It would go well with the 889/120/Kalinga/ :D

Jim I thought you would like that 123 pic.:D
Jeff

Yes very nice!

The crappies I catch here, well they might be large enough to lay along the blade but not the whole knife!!!!!!!!
Its too cold here for fishin' anyway ;)

Back