What did you rehang today?

Now I just need the 28oz #606, and the 32oz #707 to round out my set of Vaughan RIP claws.

I have at least two and in some cases 3 of every one of these, but the 28oz and 32oz I don't see myself using much a so I'll probably avoid getting multiples of either.
I can't leave a good V&B hammer behind when I find it though so who knows, but I won't be actively looking for duplicates of the larger ones.
I have the same 4 Vaughn sizes in my Hammer tray. Bought them around 1984’ when I was building houses

I changed handles on this one, It was 15 1/4" but I have other hatchets on 12 to 14" handles that I liked using better than this one.

15 1/4"
View attachment 2293204

It's now 13 1/2" and I like swinging it much better, the label is just about worn off since I took these pictures. I used a 9" shinto saw rasp on my last two hangs, it's got a course side and a fine side, works great👍
View attachment 2293206View attachment 2293208View attachment 2293209View attachment 2293210View attachment 2293211View attachment 2293212
That’s one sweet Hatchet there. Handle is Gold. Nice Work 👍

I have the same 4 Vaughn sizes in my Hammer tray. Bought them around 1984’ when I was building houses
Did you find a lot of use for the little 10oz #9 ?
I use mine for small nailing tasks in woodworking projects, but I also have one in my house / go toolbox , and one in the tool bag in my locker at work.

Like you I use the smaller hammer quite often for similar tasks. The huge heavy Vaughn Framer I pretty much only used it setting foundation forms where I never swung the beast above my waist. My favorite framing weight was 24 0z

Walnut and pine ;) my wife's nephew is moving south to VA joining a Fire Station down there, having a going away party for him and his family tomorrow so I made this smallish fireman's axe for him to take along.

Untitled by GaryWGraley, on Flickr

overall length about 4 1/8" long, didn't need a wedge but the handle goes up through the head.

Finished up a small stand for him to display it, the upright is a piece of maple angled at 15 degrees that has a shelf cut in for the axe to rest against and is also angled towards the corner so it puts the handle at a diagonal on the block of walnut. The maple is glued down to the walnut and also has a bamboo dowel going through the walnut base and up into the maple for strength, not that it will need much, but, it's there ;)

G2

Last edited:
Even as a young man the 32oz was too heavy and clunky. Maybe if I had been driving 20d nails. But the 24oz is plenty to drive a 16 penny sinker in 2 blows.
%100 depends on what part of the country you are driving nails. I did a few jobs west of the Cascades in Oregon and the lumber doesn't dry there as far as I can tell.

https://flic.kr/ps/434y1j
Rehung this WC Kelly (first 9/10 photos) today on the haft that came with it. It isn’t the original either, I don’t believe. The fit was smooth and the wedge isn’t glued as I won’t be using this beauty. I suspect it to be from the 20s. This is the first full sized WC Kelly I have, I can only see faint lettering at the “stamp location”. Does anyone know if Kelly made the WC lineup at one foundry or multiple?

https://flic.kr/s/aHBqjAZpNZ
I bought this Kelly pick while on vacation in Florida. It didn’t have a handle, but, the patina was awesome enough to get me through the $15 price tag. So, I was wanting to hang it and couldn’t find the right haft for it anywhere; I did however have this bulky fawns foot curved haft that I had taken off of a big Craftsman splitter I put together some months back. I do not intend to use this. It will go to the shelf with my other Kelly farming and striking collection. I’m sure this is not the correct way to hang a pick of this size, but I thought it just looked too damn good not to. Anywho, thanks for viewing.

Last edited:
Not a "today" hang so much as the one that's been in progress for about two weeks. Last night it finished its one week of BLO treatments. The head is a True Temper Flint Edge. The handle is from House Handle. The intention is for this to be y "car axe", living in the back for when I'm out on FS roads and might need to do a little timber maintenance to get to where I'm going or home from where I was.
http://www.aarongpeabody.com/temp/bladeforums/pulaski_01.jpeg
http://www.aarongpeabody.com/temp/bladeforums/pulaski_02.jpeg
http://www.aarongpeabody.com/temp/bladeforums/pulaski_03.jpeg
pulaski_01.jpeg
pulaski_02.jpeg
pulaski_03.jpeg

I am not saying that those links will cause someone a problem, but some people may not be aware that clicking on them will take them without warning from the secure ("https:") BladeForums site to a site that is not secure ("http:").

BladeForums software (Xenforo) allows linking out to an unsecure site, however it prevents photos from unsecure sites to be displayed within their site. Pictures within posts are not displayed directly from the host. Instead, the URL for the picture is copied to a secure proxy server. If the photo URL is to a secure server, it is displayed. If the photo link is not to a secure server, the result is mixed content, and the red cross icon (broken image) is displayed.
mPxfhGD.jpg

Also, if a member replies to the post their browser can show "Not secure"
t9ORvB0.jpg

7qV3pa7.jpg

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, first let me say how much I admire your skills with technology. But, I did not understand one word of what you said. Having no children or grandchildren or great grandchildren, my wife and I are pretty much screwed in todays world of technology. (I believe that this A I thing will destroy the so-called civilized world) At least I had the honor of a life where I used a ax, everyday, to make a living. Excuse the ramblings of an old axeman.
Bernie

My next hang.
This modified ball-pein hammer was found in a junk shop , it weighs about 600grams or 1 1/2 pounds.
Too heavy for a tomahawk , but it does not have the profile of an axe.
I have cleaned it up , but it is not yet finished.
I will be cross-pinning it I am still deciding on a wood or steel roll-pin.
This item is somewhat of an enigma , but I have it----so why not.

Walnut and pine ;) my wife's nephew is moving south to VA joining a Fire Station down there, having a going away party for him and his family tomorrow so I made this smallish fireman's axe for him to take along.

overall length about 4 1/8" long, didn't need a wedge but the handle goes up through the head.

Finished up a small stand for him to display it, the upright is a piece of maple angled at 15 degrees that has a shelf cut in for the axe to rest against and is also angled towards the corner so it puts the handle at a diagonal on the block of walnut. The maple is glued down to the walnut and also has a bamboo dowel going through the walnut base and up into the maple for strength, not that it will need much, but, it's there ;)

G2
That's far and away the coolest thing on BF today.

Back