what do we throw

Status
Not open for further replies.
personally i throw just about anything and everything i can get my hands on, knives, axes, pens, paper clips, spikes, chakrum, shurkin, chop sticks etc. many of the lighter object are for indoors, at short range wioth cardboard, others of course are for outdoors with wood. I love throwing and fing that is a very relaxing way to spend my time. Definately gets rid the strees of my job, thus the reason for office equipment tossing.

------------------
a man is no fool to give up that which he cannot keep to gain what he cannever lose.

I personally throw ninja stars to relieve my stress, because you have to be pretty far away for mine to stick in the wall and I have to throw it with real force for it to stick,
Mine is very dull

I realize that this is not a good idea, but I have wanted to find a folder that would be a decent thrower. I certainly would'nt want to throw a $75 plus floder, but is there a moderatly priced folder out there that would lend itself to "throwing".
Thanks,
Phrede

You are right in thinking that throwing a folder is not a good idea. However you probably could get away with throwing one at a piece of archery foam or a hay bale just for practice, but it will eventually come apart after a few misses and or bounces off of the ground. There are tons of small knives that are designed for throwing that you could have more fun with. Just get one that has some weight to it.

Bobby Branton

------------------
AKTI member #1000
President South Carolina Association of Knifemakers
President American Knife Throwers Alliance

http://www.brantonknives.com

Speaking of throwing folders...

I have heard of some interesting throwing techniques with the Spanish Navaja. The Navaja is traditionally a very large folder, kind of like the "Vaquero Grande". One trick was to throw the Navaja spinning through the air in closed position so that it would open inertially in mid-air and stick in the target. Since the Navaja was mainly a hand-to-hand weapon, those who threw it often cast it on the end of a long lanyard cord, so that with a skillful hand it could be pulled back in mid-air and return to one's hand. It could also be twirled on the cord to slash in all directions like a bladed whip.

You can get Frost Cutlery throwers from SMKW for around 4$ a piece. They are pretty sturdy and put together well. The reason they are so cheap is probably due to poor quality steel and poor quality heat treat. They are strong, though and would stand up to throwing quite a few times. If you just want to throw folders.....
For a better quality folder, the CRKT KISS knives are simply put together.... not a whole lot of moving parts to come apart. They are a little more expensive, though.
Again... this is if you just have the urge to throw folders. I stand by Bobby's suggestion that you get some small throwing knives.

Orion

That is interesting about the Navaja, shades of the Chinese Rope Dart and Meteor Ball...

------------------
"You're about as sharp as a sack of wet mice..." ~~F. Leghorn

I'm right there with you, Ohoisin...

Pencils, pens, toenail clippers, chopsticks, drumsticks, compasses, nails, drywall screws, claw hammers, screwdrivers, awls, etc.--anything that'll spin and has at least one point on it. That, and the occasional hissy fit.

Always fun to watch peoples' eyes bug out when you lob a ball-point pen into a nearby box. Quiets 'em down at the office, too!

I posted out a while back in a thread about throwing (I think) about a buddy of mine from college who has the most annoyingly amazing gift for throwing...I want HIS skills! His big party trick is to set a watermelon up on a table, and then flip playing into it. When he's done, he rolls the 'melon so that the slashes in it are concealed on the bottom, and then watches as folks freak out when they cut open the watermelon to find a whole deck of playing cards in the meat of it!!!! Super fun to watch. But don't loan him your car keys...it's like a compulsion for him. He HAS to throw stuff. He stuck my trunk key into a sheet of 5/8" ply. I broke it pulling the damn thing out again. Oh, well. Such is the price of art.

biggrin.gif

------------------
An optimist thinks he lives in the best of all possible worlds...a pessimist is sure of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back