What do you think of this Darrel Ralph?

RL

Hi All,

This is my first post on the Balisong forum (so go easy on me) :)

I currently own two Balisongs but they are cheap "made in China" type of things...I'm thinking of moving up...what do you guys think of this one? Oh, and it is available with a Talonite blade :)

ralphbali.jpg

RL

Hey, I have the prototype of that one, or at least a prototype bullnose venturi, and it is a sweet flipper. The talonite is great, although, I won't be using it for much cutting, just some flipping. Darrel was very excited about the talonite when I ordered it and I cut a little bit with it - it certainly does cut like crazy.

Cool to see a vanguard balisong. :)

Oh, I forgot - in case you couldn't tell, I definitely recommend it. You might want to search this forum for venturi as well, you'll get a little more info on Darrel's bali's of this type.

And welcome to the balisong forum. It's a nice place, but you'll end up spending too much money on new bali's - there's a lot coming out these days!

Well, I hate the blade profile but I bet it cuts like nothing else. The handles are a new pattern I've never seen on a DDR balisong and to be honest, I like them, but then I'm a fan of the cheveron shape. As I've heard about other DDR balis, I'm sure it's an excellent flipper as Mr. Ralph puts alot of thought into his blades.

Yeah I got one of the Protos too Nybble.., I do like the knife lots and ordered the set at the Las Vegas Custom Knife Show. My blade on the Hognose is D2 though.

I'd like SS-Handles more personally.., but it's a very well made piece as one would expect from Darrel.

"Hunters seek what they [WANT].., Seekers hunt what they [NEED]"

Well, I love it, so much that I picked up the Proto (and been playng with it for the last 3 days). The chevron's gives a really good purchase (compared to the regular Venturi), and I'm looking forward to the Talonite doing some serious cutting action. The bead blasting is only on the grind of the blade where the logos are, and the rest is left satin finished. He logo's the other side of the blade with the word Talonite to distinquish it from the S30V models.

Yeah, the lack of grippability (which is from a number of factors) is my main complaint with my venturi. But he's working out all the problems, I can't wait to see the real deal, should be something else.

Tony, does that mean you have two protos? The dagger and the vanguard? If so, other'n the handle markings and blade style are there any differences?

Pete - Hognose. :) Heh, I really like the profile, I am very partial to scimitars and this is a really unusual take on it! Yes, I think that SS handles would be really nice, they are so slim the weight would be pretty comfortable. But that said, I love these Ti handles too, somehow they just kind of feel very smooth and airy when you're flipping them. I guess, like always, I want both. :)

Isn't it amazing how much blade he has stuffed into those handles! All that blade & he still keeps the handles away from the blade!

I may be a bit biased (cause I own one) but this family of balisongs (of which Venturi is a member)set a new standard in balisongs.

I hope you get it, it is a sweet bali.:cool:

ghen, it is remarkable. The blade is already noticably longer than the tachyon's in handles nearly exactly the same and he said he thought he could squeeze maybe anther 1/4" or so in! The production versions of this line is going to be something else.

I'm curious, do you know the number of proto's and what profile, handle styles, etc.. they were?

nybble: For the Venturi, most of the Proto's are made with D2 blades, except for the Vanguard ones, those were made with Talonite and S30V. Production Venturi models will be made of S30V. So far I know of only 4 of the Venturi protos exist. 2 in dagger (one to ghen and one to me), and 2 in bullnose (which you and examonlyf got). There are 2 of the Bull nose Talonites out, one with the Vanguard logo, and one without. The one without was the Darrel made before Les commited to that design as a Vanguard exclusive.

For those that are curious of the bali's:

That's a great picture.. you can really see how much blade DR stuffed into those handles. Cool, and my bullnose is talonite, but w/ the venturi morse code handles.

edited to say w/ instead of w/out! I need to proofread before I post.

RL: Welcome to the balisong forum! Your new home. ;)

I'm a little confused about the picture you posted, though... Is that a Darrel Ralph Venturi, or is it something else? I thought the Venturi had other handles... Or have you switched the handles or something? Or is there something else I've missed? :confused:

Originally posted by ixpfah
Is that a Darrel Ralph Venturi, or is it something else?
Yes it is. All of the sandwich style bali's Darrel makes is part of the Venturi family. The blade is the Bullnose. What makes this model unique is that the handle patterns are now reserved for the Vanguard line of knives sold by Les Robertson. So we'll probably see more than one handle style, and perhaps some special issued blade shapes, in the future.

Thanks, Tony.
Does Mr. Ralph do all this by himself, or does he have some sort of a crew?

I believe all the protos have Darrel ground blades. But he does have a tremendous machine shop with mills and lathes and CNC controllers, so he can do alot by himself.

Originally posted by nybble
Cool, and my bullnose is talonite, but w/out the venturi morse code handles.
nybble, are you sure about that? The one you posted has the Venturi morse code markings... ;)

Originally posted by ixpfah
RL: Welcome to the balisong forum! Your new home. ;)

I'm a little confused about the picture you posted, though... Is that a Darrel Ralph Venturi, or is it something else? I thought the Venturi had other handles... Or have you switched the handles or something? Or is there something else I've missed? :confused:

Hi ixpfah,

thanks for the warm welcome!

I think your question has been answered...the knife in the pic is the new Darrel Ralph "Banzai" Balisong, commissioned by Les Robertson as part of the Vanguard series...here are the specs (taken directly from Les' site)

" 4" S30V, hollow ground "bull nose" style blade, pattern work (dot/chevron) titanium frame, lock, bead blast finish.
This Balisong will be limted to 10 knives with S30V blade and 5 knives with a Talonite blade."

RL

Tony - duh! Thanks for the catch, I really need to re-read before I post.. of course w/ the venturi handles. Just interesting that there were two bullnose's that aren't Vanguard proto's.

Hi Tony,

Thanks for providing all the information on the Bonsai Balisong.

Please feel free to contact me if you would like any more information on this newest of the Vanguard folders.

Back