What do you use your USMC for?

It can't handle everything that the 9 can, due to blade length difference (2 inches), blade thickness and tang/handle differences.

That said, I like the 1217 and variants. Pre-Becker, the 1217s were my primary "around the farm" EDCs, either paired or in conjunction with a shorty, depending on what I was doing. My 1217s have beheaded dozens of sub-24" rattlers and 1 copperhead. (If it's over 24" or awake and buzzing, the .357 w/ HP loads gets used) Now, for general farm duty usually the 9 rides on my right hip, with a 1217 on my left hip. For "go to town" EDCing, I'll replace both with shorties, which are essentially 3/4 sized 1217s.

considering it was designed expressly for stabbing overhand, downward, near the cartoid/collarbone and into the heart, aka "sentry kill", it does what it's designed to do pretty well, I'd say. Lots of kills attributed to it doing just that. It's also utilitarian, and solid as a rock. I don't own any beckers for comparison, but the Kabar has seen a lot of hardcore shit, and that's good enough for me.

I would have to disagree with your initial statement (which you contradict later yourself anyway) as this was designed from the outset to be a do-all knife. Hence, you'll find many a review concluding that the 1217 is a capable knife, just not particularly excellent at one thing.
It won't stab as well as a Kershaw Trooper, won't feather a stick as well as Mora or chop a branch as easily/well as a BK9, but it will do these things. It was designed to be a one size fits all, and it does this well.

I've used my old KA BAR 1217 as it was intended - cutting rope, digging a hole in an emergency, clearing brush, killing animals, fire prep, etc. I like its design and it works well for me.

To be completely honest, I don't use my 1217 much at all. Like many others, I got it after I'd found the Becker knives, and for my outdoor uses usually those fit my needs better.

I guess on the upside, I've decided that the BK7 probably isn't for me, as I don't find that particular blade length all that useful for my use.

To be completely honest, I don't use my 1217 much at all. Like many others, I got it after I'd found the Becker knives, and for my outdoor uses usually those fit my needs better.

I guess on the upside, I've decided that the BK7 probably isn't for me, as I don't find that particular blade length all that useful for my use.

I'll be honest, even though I modified mine to use outdoors, I don't actually use it. I have found that a 7" blade just isn't particularly useful to me. I like either a 5- or 9"+ blade. I could do very well with just a Mora and a BK9 for the rest of my life, but I like knives too much. The only reason I have that knife I posted earlier is because I like the looks and I just felt weird not owning one. What knife guy doesn't own an example of the classic Ka-Bar fighting/utility knife? I have a BK7 too. I like it but it won't see any use unless I make a point to use it. I plan on modifying it too but I need a bench grinder to make those mods.

So, I am a firm believer that knives are tools. I personally struggle with the concept of a "safe queen" (and freely admit this is a personal preference; no offense intended to anyone who collects knives that don't get used - it just isn't me).

There is so much nostalgia and history surrounding the KA-BAR USMC knife. I handled one at my local gun shop today and I really want to pick one up...but what do I do with it? I'm used to banging away on my Beckers for the various tasks I do. The USMC just doesn't seem to have the heft that even my tweeners have. So, I guess two questions:

1) Am I just totally misjudging this blade?

2) What do you do with your KA-BAR USMC?

Feel free to answer one or both and/or post pics of yours in action!

1. I don't think you are misjudging the blade as much as unsure of it, based upon the physical differences between it and a Becker. Beckers are a bit thicker in the spine. The Companion is 1/4" and the USMC is 3/16". Both are made from 1095 steel though. IF all things are equal [temper, grind/which they aren't but, edge profile, etc] you might look at the Becker as a "tougher" blade. 1/16" can make a huge mental and physical difference when comparing a blade to another. Is it perception? No, not really. IF all things being equal as I said, that extra thickness can translate to "able to take more abuse" than the USMC. This is true in most instances. However, the USMC has been made for what....70+ years now? How many countries has it served in by now and under what conditions? If there was a flaw in the design, I'd have thought they would have changed it in some way by now. Just remember that the USMC has served primarily as a combat knife/bayonet design for most of its lifetime. That doesn't mean it's the only thing it can do.

2. I use it for everything....from spreading butter to batonning through < 8" logs. I've owned my particular USMC for more than 15 years and have NEVER had an issue with it. Even the weight is more than respectable [carry weight I mean] to make it "unnoticeable" on my belt. My only issue [with mine] is the original leather sheath. I'm not really a fan of the "original hunter-type" belt loop leather sheaths that it is - but that's more of a 'personal quirk' against them in general, than it is about the quality of the one that it came with. I more like the "holy crap, that sheath is a monster!" type of survival sheath....but the original sheath is well made and definitely serviceable under almost any condition.

My only issue [with mine] is the original leather sheath. I'm not really a fan of the "original hunter-type" belt loop leather sheaths that it is - but that's more of a 'personal quirk' against them in general, than it is about the quality of the one that it came with.

You get an aftermarket sheath for yours? If so which one?

Ok, you guys almost have me persuaded on this. I went and looked at one at my local gun shop after church tonight. My only hang up right now is, like druid189, I'm not a fan of the sheath. Any recommendations on an aftermarket sheath?

Ok, you guys almost have me persuaded on this. I went and looked at one at my local gun shop after church tonight. My only hang up right now is, like druid189, I'm not a fan of the sheath. Any recommendations on an aftermarket sheath?

Which sheath? There's a leather and hard plastic option. Lots of people make kydex and leather sheaths for them.

Love my KA-BAR 1211... Mine has been modded more to my suiting; stripped, back guard ground off, clip "exaggerated" more, then I reground the whole blade bringing up the grind to the fuller, then convexed down to the edge and generally thinned out. Cuts so much better now especially in wood. Also it performs better in other cutting tasks like slicing up food etc etc. Modifiing it took it from a knife I liked, to a knife absolutely love. The Fighting utility is a good classic design that has really stood the test of time. At 7 inches at the blade and with a full hidden tang the knife at 5/32" thick it is actually light in comparison to other knives it size. I carry mine quite a bit out and about without any issue. I'm probably the minority but I like the leather sheath. It's slim, trim, light, and I feel it carries real good. Also I really dig the simplistic handle. All in all I think it's a fantastic belt knife. Plus the newer blades from KA-BAR have reverted back to a higher grind more like some of the originals so the new ones should have better geometry. Awesome knives.

I got a 1219 not that long ago. I use our for general camp duties and everything I use a knife for. Plus, the design is so classic. . I just love the look feel of the blade. The history behind the knife and design makes it a pleasure to have and use.

Last edited:
Love my KA-BAR 1211... Mine has been modded more to my suiting; stripped, back guard ground off, clip "exaggerated" more, then I reground the whole blade bringing up the grind to the fuller, then convexed down to the edge and generally thinned out.

I believe we need pics of this!

I use mine as a lightweight camp knife. Its pretty much perfect for this task. Lightweight but it still has a 7 inch blade, making it more useful for hacking and splitting small sticks for fire starting.

I am sure it could be broken if I abused it, but I only use my knives for cutting/hacking. I don't baton with it. Nothing wrong with batoning, that just isn't how I camp. I have a hatchet I use for splitting logs.

http://www.kabar.com/accessories/60

http://www.kabar.com/accessories/13 <----- they make several versions of this one

http://www.kabar.com/accessories/51

And these are just the options from Ka-Bar. Lots of third-parties make leather and kydex sheaths. Hedgehog leather works makes a pretty fancy one.

I also just tried my F/U in my BK7 sheath. The retention strap is perfect, the plastic liner is loose on the blade but there are ways to fix that if it matters to you.
Thanks, bighoss!

Thanks, bighoss!

No problem. It's worth noting that people have said the BK5 and BK7 use the same sheath. The sheaths that came with mine are just barely different but it's enough to make the F/U not work in the 5's sheath. Some may work but I know my specific one, the retention strap won't quite fit around the handle without withdrawing the knife about 1/2 an inch to get it around a smaller part of the handle.

I know a lot of guys like the Spec-Ops Combat Master sheath too.

I spend a lot of time with a metal detector, and the 1217 is my digging tool. I've used it for nearly 20 years, and it has never been sharpened - so it's dull as heck. It's also the most perfect digger I've ever used.

I love the 1217 i carry it more than any other knife i own when i am in the bush, just personnel preference. I also carry a Buck 110.

Back