What grit edge is the best for slicing a beef eye round from the refrigerator?

I have tried every grit on the edge, from 625 to 6000. Out of the oven they all seem fine. Then the next day slicing nothing seems to cut this cut of meat like I expect it to. The meat is cold for sandwiches or leftovers. I do try to slice it thin. I have tried from 15* to 20*. I have tried all of the above on my 8” carving and chef knife. Both these a Hankel’s. It’s driving me crazy. The apex is perfect and any bur has been removed. All edges slice right through newspaper with just the weight of the blade. Do others find this difficult? No problem cutting anything else. At 77 would like to get this straightened out before it’s too late. Lol

Last edited:
How are your results different from your expectations?
(If you're able to edit your post title, "beaf" should probably be "beef".)

You might have better luck with serrated for sawing with tougher cuts of meat. If you have a sharp edge and a thin knife, not sure what else there is to do.

The temperature may be the problem, not the knife. The congealed far may be causing extra drag and moving the meat around more than when it's warm similar to trying to cut dry rubber (get it wet 1st and cuts many times easy).

Consider something to lube the faces of the blade and see if that helps at all, would be my 1st go to.

If that doesn't help, serrated can be easier but I'm not sure it will make a nicer cut as I'm not 100% sure what's causing the problem. Industrially, we used saws or mandoline slicers for such tasks.

You might have better luck with serrated for sawing with tougher cuts of meat. If you have a sharp edge and a thin knife, not sure what else there is to do.
The beef is tender. Maybe I am expecting to much. The meat does move around easier when slicing cold.

Last edited:
never had this sort of experience, to me it sounds like you just need to practice more making thin slices on the meat. If your knife is sharp, its not the knife, most likely your technique using the knife. Practice on a ripe tomato with the same knife and thickness of cut.

Cut perpendicular to the meat grain ? (sorry, not sure how to phrase this better)

I've been waiting for an opportunity to say this...

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" (Okay, the Pink Floyd moment is passed.)

Thank you. Carry on.

(I was thinking anything from 300 to 600 grit would be appropriate for the task.)

I've been waiting for an opportunity to say this...

"How can you have any pudding if you don't eat your meat?" (Okay, the Pink Floyd moment is passed.)

Thank you. Carry on.

(I was thinking anything from 300 to 600 grit would be appropriate for the task.)
I have a 320 grit edge on it now. Made no difference last night.

I have a 320 grit edge on it now. Made no difference last night.

Sorry. I'll let the culinary experts reply...short of a serrated blade, I wouldn't know what to try in this case.

Try par freezing the meat for an hour or so if you plan on slicing it thin. That's what I do for something like beef jerky.

I usually finish all my kitchen knives at 600 grit, but that doesn't make as big of a difference as par freezing.

Try par freezing the meat for an hour or so if you plan on slicing it thin. That's what I do for something like beef jerky.

I usually finish all my kitchen knives at 600 grit, but that doesn't make as big of a difference as par freezing.
I will give it a try. Thanks

Sorry. I'll let the culinary experts reply...short of a serrated blade, I wouldn't know what to try in this case.
Thanks. Serrated bread knife worked easy to slice. Now to get the thin cuts for sandwiches.

Thanks. Serrated bread knife worked easy to slice. Now to get the thin cuts for sandwiches.
I thought it might work, but honestly, I expected the coarse grit to be viable.

Glad it helped.

Aside from really course jagged edge, does it actually make any difference? Can anyone show me any actual evidence which suggests that it does? Oh bro but my 16000 grit edge doesn't cut the cells of the blah blah blah and the food has more nutrition in it. Yeah okay.

Back