What happened to the Air Marshal thread.....?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bladeforums policy is not to delete threads. They may be closed, moved or archived, but not deleted.

Truth is, the thread in question never wandered off topic.

OTOH, I agree that locking (only if absolutely necessary, which didn't seem to be the case, since, again, that thread did not wander off topic) is a lot beter than just disappearing with it.

I found it very informative and interesting--in spite of you two hurting each other's feelings. I'm glad I printed it before it was removed.

Seems to missing from the lineup......explanations for its removal?

Bpman

Well...thanks for not answering the question....I can only assume that it has more to do with you being incorrect on every aspect of the discussion than it having violated any of your self-imposed censoring decisions.

I expect this thread will be likewise deleted.

Bpman

I completely agree that when a thread starts to wander off topic it's time to shut it down. I would like to make a suggestion, though.

In the future, it might be a good idea to simply lock the thread rather than delete it. This way people (like myself) who were following it will be able to read the whole thing. Since nobody can respond it will sink to the bottom of the pile, but will still be available should somebody desire to see it.

As noted in House Rules and in later postings the moderator of this Forum will evaluate threads and posts and if deemed appropriate or necessary lock, delete, or otherwise edit the Forum.

It was decided to close this particular thread.

Such edits are few and far between and a great deal of thought is given to such editing.

Thank you.

Point of order -

No feelings hurt at my end. I moderate the Forum as I see appropriate and without becoming emotional, which happens way too much on the Internet and on Internet forums / chat rooms.

Threads run their course. Some are long term in information and can run for quite some time. Others are interesting and short term affairs.

In truth, many moderators simply don't monitor and/or don't care. So their forums take on epic lengths and become diluted. I prefer not to see that happen with "Battle Blades".

:)

So is there a way to get it back then? This is not the first thread that has been deleted on this forum if i recall correctly.

I'm checking with Ken Cook. Please give us a little time to see what can be done.

I began my moratorium from the tactical forums before this forum opened (I expect I'll probably come back to the tactical forums eventually, but not yet) so I just now found out about the censorship on this forum. Please insert a typical Cougar anti-censorship rant here, complete with the usual foaming at the mouth about Freedom of Speech and Fascism and Censorship and the Three Boxes (soap box, ballot box, and cartridge box), threats to use nuclear weapons on anybody who would dare to violate the universal standards of the Net, the whole nine yards -- most of you have seen it before.

WE DON'T DELETE THREADS AT BLADEFORUMS!!!

It's probably not possible to restore the lost threads unless the ... um ... individual who deleted them saved a copy, or someone else saved it to his own hard drive before it was deleted. It's conceivable we might still have a backup but I'm afraid it's been overwritten already; we make backups pretty frequently. We'll try.

I'm really holding myself back here....

not judging one way or another

cougar allen- isn't it possible for the admin to restrict mods (and supermods and memebers etc) from deleting anything? i know vbulletin allows that granularity, as i evaluated it as a possibility before settling on different forum software)

(i also have a similar policy on another board i admin- we've got a 'lock box' forum, where threads that have serve *zero* purpose can get moved, where they're only viewable by admins. this is for the worst threads- hurtful trolls, illegal/obscene material. sort of an evidence box and future reference in case we decide to ban, etc.)

Hey, pretty good thread going right here, right now.

Interesting commentary.

Appreciate the input.

S912

What most folks are forgetting is that if a thread is deleted...and the Forum visitors REALLY want to continue to discuss the subject of said thread...any one of you can reopen said thread under same title and then GO FOR IT.

Take a bit of initiative here.

Hey, if I don't want to participate I don't have to, yes?

That's the difference between censorship and editing...as well as a free exchange of ideas.

You guys give up too easy:D

Who wants to start and contribute to a thread that they know will be not only locked down, but deleted? Then no one benefits from the exchange of ideas except maybe someone's ego!

If anyone needs copies of the former thread in order to continue the discussion, e-mail me and I'll scan the ten pages or so and e-mail them to you.

I still don't see any sort of reasonable explanation about deleting the Air Marshal thread. Plenty of vague references to posted practices by the moderator...recommendations to continue the subject in a "New" thread (until someone says something that the moderator finds he can't defend..or some other cryptic rational...and then...*POOF*...it's gone the way of the Dodo bird). Indeed another whole thread has begun trying to justify...deleting threads..this new thread goes so far as to say...the old thread never belonged in this forum..(Air Marshal tactics and training..why would that be in a tactical thread....should have gone in the Whine and Cheese forums I suppose)..and that it "HAD" to be deleted for academic purposes...I ask..What academic purposes?

This thread has two moderators stating that deleting threads is not a practice done in these forums...and now we have two different moderators defending the deleting...going so far as to say that it was and absolute necessity.

Let me state this in no uncertain terms....my intention was not to start controversy nor begin a "flame-type" thread. I was clearing up certain misconceptions being bandied about in the press and addressing half truths and rumors that were being espoused by one individual concerning the Air Marshal program as it exists today. I thought the point of these threads was to shed light and correctness on matters concerning tactics et al. Unfortunately, what I find is a self grandizing platform for one individual to reign supreme over the topics to be discussed here. At no time did the thread move off topic and no justification has been given for its exorcism...I submit that it cannot be justified.

Furthermore, it is becoming clear that this is not the only time it has happened with this forums moderator. If the moderator here knows as much about the practices of Bladeforums as it concerns to censoring posts...as he does about the Air Marshal program...I contend that someone should give him a course...because it amounts to next to nothing!

Bpman

Who wants to start and contribute to a thread that they know will be not only locked down, but deleted? Then no one benefits from the exchange of ideas except maybe someone's ego!

There is no point in continuing the discussion here. This thread will be deleted as soon as our mod finds the delete button.

Goodbye Battleblades.

n2s

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back