What if YOU were John Johnston?

HM

Hi All,

First start with a personal statement: AOL sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
(That is only an opinion and not scientifically proven yet.)

Second, I am trying to type in again what I already did before the connection broke. Sorry guys but I can not resist to use the John Johnston story (see: http://www.bladeforums.com/ubb/Forum18/HTML/000265.html ) to formulate a 'davenportian' survival exercise question:
What would you do if you were 69 year old John Johnston lost in your woods when looking for a suitable cedar log for the porch?

It is an excellent example how these unplanned survival accidents happen in an everyday situation. Nothing was expected, the unexpected just happened. It just caught you unprepared, alone without your survival kit that you meticulously put together during the years based on the suggestions of the Wilderness & Survival Skills Forum. Not even your favourite 12" bowie or side arm is with you and you rely solely on your skills and the few items on you. Additional factor is your age which might make more things a potential health hazard but provides more experience. It might also have something to do with getting lost around the house.
That leads to an other important question: what do you have always on you that you can rely on as a last resource (was an earlier thread)? How can you use those items? You can not always rely on a kit that you are not carrying everywhere. That justifies the importance of the personal skills and the primitive survival skills. That immediately puts 'minimalist survival' above 'overpreparedness' in importance.
I could go on- and-on but let's give plaudit first to the old gentleman who successfully survived despite of all difficulties. He definitely gave me a double surprise: first, by getting lost not far from his home; second, by his skills and will to survive the harsh conditions at his age. I think that merits my congratulations. We all wish him a long life!

But let's see now the real stuff!

For details, read the original post but let me summerize it briefly: YOU......
-are lost in the Minnesota cedar woods, in 30-40 degrees, in January 2000 (Happy New Year!)
-might get some rain anytime (possibly it was not when you left the house for a cedar log)
-have a rain parka, sweater, cotton checkered shirt, white cotton T-shirt that you always wanted to change, cotton pants, a good boot with strong laces, a baseball cap with a fluorescent NY logo
-have in pocket: trusty Case Trapper pocket knife, cotton handkerchief, few coins of change, few dollar notes, NO MATCHES or LIGHTER (since he did not have), driving licence, photo of grandkids
-have a strong raw hide belt with a metal buckle
-have no ax, nor saw
-are very familier with the vegetation and animal tracks/trails and know the map of the area just very much lost in a big body of forest
-see plenty of wet leaves on the ground
-are physically fit (ready to remodel the porch in Jan)
-are expected back by family soon
-eyesight is less than perfect but OK
-just had a hearty lunch
-have a 10 m of fluorescent tape to mark the perfect tree

Please let all of us know how you would deal with the situation. I very much appreciate any input.

HM

PS: Since it is usually easier to ask than answer, I am just going to throw in some ideas:
-what can I do with cedar trees?
-what can I do with a dollar bill?
-what can I do with my belt?
-is raw hide suitable for consumption?
-what do I do with my coins?
-how did I get lost?

Hi HM and all,

How do you guys and gals find all this time?
smile.gif
biggrin.gif

I am sorry I have been neglecting the forum this week.... ugggghhhhhhhh need more hours in the day.

I love this question (especially HM's referral to "Davenportiam" I laughed.

I second HM's challenge on this.
what would you have done. How would you meet your "five survival essential" with such limited gear. Remember to use both manmade and natural resources to meet your needs. What could you improvise?

Could someone from that neck of the country tell us what type of plants, trees, etc. are found there.

Good luck and have fun with this one. Remember the five essentials and the art of improvising is the Key (IMHO).

------------------
Greg Davenport
http://www.ssurvival.com
Are You Ready For The Challenge?
Are You Ready To Learn The Art Of Wilderness Survival?

I'm very suprised that no one found him in 8 days.... Wow...

My first priority would be to make shelter. I believe I'd have a better than average, but less than good chance of starting a fire in 30 - 40 degree wet weather with only a knife. I'd give it a shot after the shelter.

Some native groups used cedar bark for rain gear, and I'd probably (Not having seen a cedar to my knowledge) try something similar.
I'd try a simple lean-to first, with cedar shingles (Don't houses cost more with that for a roof?). After I made a water shedding something, I'd work on insulation. I believe cedar bark can be shredded into a somewhat soft, fibrous material, and branches could also be used, especially under me. Other dry vegetation could be acquired as I found it.

I could use my handkerchief to gather water to drink, or find it in puddles as this man did. Having just had a meal, I'd not risk whatever dyes are in my belt till a few days have passed and I'm very hungry. Even then, I have enough of a gut to last more than a few days...
smile.gif

After I created a shelter, and believing I knew the woods I was in, I would mark out short trails in the cardinal directions with my tape. I'd tie off on small branches within eyesight of each other, so I and others could find their way to me. If I was careful with this tape, I could easily go a hundred or two yards in each direction. This should cover a large enough area to help rescuers on the ground find me, and may get me far enough from camp to recognize something. I could also blaze trees in-between, and set trail markers indicating direction of camp. If I were more comfortable with my eyesight/trailcraft (I'd be cocky enough to be so) I'd probably just use trail markers, and add the flagging tape occasionally with a marker to point in the direction of my camp. I'd also add large ground signals for airborne searchers if I had space enough to do so. Find contrasting material (Overturned dirt, leaves, cedar branches...) and make a V and an arrow towards my camp.

After I had a shelter made to my satisfaction, I'd intersperse fire-making in with my other preparations. This is where that leather belt might come in handy, cut into thin strips for cord.

I'd give it two days for folks to find me before I started heading out. When I headed out, I'd leave an arrow in the direction I went.

As far as personal stuff I carry, I have a spyderco, flashlight, and SwissTool with me at nearly all times. Occasionally, when the my dress prohibits belt tools, I drop down to the spyderco. Frequently I have a lighter with me. When I go hiking/skiing I have a fire-starting device or two (Matches, flint/steel, metal match, lighter. Usually two of the fore-mentioned).

Stryver, who should try the flint and steel in the snow sometime...

I feel obligated to add this post after reading Dan K's update on the story. The condition that Mr. Johnston's suffers Alzheimer disease explains many of the puzzling circumstances, also making his survival an even bigger merit and the posted survival exercise more complex. Since discussing this old gentleman's (whose name is known also) disease in an inappropriate context would be beyond the scope of the forum and my taste, I would like to ask all of us to take my briefing on the scenario as a hypothetical situation with my given parameters as a starter and take it away from the true srory. I would still like to keep the advanced age of the person as a condition because of the additional difficulties and considerations.

Greg, Stryver, thanks for the inputs and let's see others' replies.

Best,

HM

Well, if I'm JUST like John Johnston I would...I forgot...What is the question? Where am I?

Alzheimers would NOT be fun!

------------------
Plainsman :)
primitiveguy@hotmail.com

You use what you have on you, then you improvise! :)

Back