What is a Butterfly knife used for?

Hi all,
I'm new to this forum, and to knives.

What is a Butterfly knife used for?

I put this question out under the "General" catagory, and I wasn't taken too seriously. They said it was used to kill Butterflys.
Just curious. I first saw one in the movie "Falling Down", (Kirk Douglas?). Was used by a gang, even since then, I thought it was a knife used primarily by gangs.

Thanks

It's basically a folding knife that's used for anything any other similarly sized knife is used for.........Chances are it could have been the first 'one-handed' folder, which has been the rage since Michael Walker re-established the liner-lock. It's more animated than just about any other knife out there and, hence, fun to play with! I can assure you that being attacked by a gang member carrying a butterfly knife is akin to being struck by lightening!!!!

it's to get the hot chicks and to impress the boys - it is also goof for finger dexterity. Friend of mine wanted to go to dental school but had little artistic experiece or stuff to do with manual dexterity.. I suggested she say the she flips knivs as a sign of manual dexterity (as needed in dental school as you work with your fingers a lot in carvings modelling and all) and she scoffed at me but she said it in the interview anyways
smile.gif

suffice to say she is in dental school now. (not to say that was what got her in but..)
tongue.gif

sadly the balisong has a bad rep as with old 80s flicks.

------------------
<A HREF="http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.contrib.andrew.cmu.edu/~soo/balisong/balisong.html
</A> If you play with love you will be heartbroken; if you play with knives you will [bleed]

if u want a more detailed look on how a balisong is used or comes out visit my link it shows a gif of how one comes out fromt he handles and what one normaly looks like

www.geocities.com/trilan_odon/homade_gifs.html and its used by gangs and self defence

------------------
flip once good flip twice better flip again great flip fourth time u...call 911_ ____ _

BAH! Trilan(sp) sure some bali's ARE used for gang activity, but im POSITIVE more gangs use tactical folders/auto knifes.

[This message has been edited by pedder2226 (edited 12-19-2000).]

Aw c'mon guys, fer chrissakes, give me a break!!!! I know there's a lot of youngsters on this forum but lets get realistic........Put up some of these PUBLISHED REPORTS or NEWSPAPER ARTICLES that DOCUMENT these vicious gangs and their flashing balisongs!?! It's the same BS that an 'assualt rifle' is the weapon of choice to rob your local convienience store! You've got to be so full of sh!t that your eyes are brown.....................

I've found them to be very handy in the warehouse or in receiving area. Used my PC 68 in these areas for along time and found it a very convenient size. The 4" and 5" blades are alittle over kill for the job!

smile.gif

Sabo 29

------------------
"Catch you on the flip side"!

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Dawkind:
Aw c'mon guys, fer chrissakes, give me a break!!!! I know there's a lot of youngsters on this forum but lets get realistic........Put up some of these PUBLISHED REPORTS or NEWSPAPER ARTICLES that DOCUMENT these vicious gangs and their flashing balisongs!?! It's the same BS that an 'assualt rifle' is the weapon of choice to rob your local convienience store! You've got to be so full of sh!t that your eyes are brown.....................</font>

I couldn't have said it any better.

------------------
Dave

My collection

Hey, my eyes are brown
frown.gif
... but I too agree with Dawkind. I haven't heard of too many balisong attacks in the US, nor have I heard of gangs (outside of the movies) flashing them around. I'm sure they're more into the automatic, stiletto type knives.

The only news I really hear about balisongs is of kids getting expelled for bringing them to school.

>>I haven't heard of too many balisong attacks in the US

There are enough court cases involveing Balisong Knives. You can not get around the fact that it is a martial arts weapon that people train with. Nor can you ignore that young people are facinated by them, and at times, do stupid things. But martial arts weapons, almost by definition are tools, that can be adapted to be used as a weapon. They were used by the poor farmer who was prohibited from ownership of weapons, but needed his tools to till the land.

I think all in all, the main facination is that you can flip it, and manipulate it in so many ways. It is a very popular item in the Philippines, where the YoYo comes from. While a YoYo can be used as a weapon, it's main function is as a toy. Also, a Butterfly knife can in trained hands be a weapon. But most often it is used as little more than a toy to play with. Or in some cases as a collectable item. Thanks, JohnR7

"What is a butterfly knife used for?"

cracking nuts, getting gunk out of your finger nails, picking your teeth, batting the cat with the back of the handle, getting fat pieces of Gundam figures off of the runners, paperweight, personal grooming apparatus, getting clumps of hair out of the shower drain, back scratcher, finger extension for when the remote is JUST out of reach, the possibilities are endless
wink.gif

Well, here in the philippines, it's mostly considered as a weapon. The balisong being a tool is only secondary.

I totally agree with Darth, that the possibilities are endless.
smile.gif

can't agree more .. the possibility is endless.

I use it mainly to sharpen my pencils during school time (I just hate those mechanical pencils, so I use ordinary wooden ones)

it makes better steak knife that those they provide in a resto, but you should be prepared for next arrest by the authority ..
biggrin.gif

I put this in the General Forum, and since you might be ignoring that one now because of the people trying to blow smoke about "Butterfly Hunting," I'll put it here now;

Right up there with the Switchblade and Gravity Knife in reputation.
Right up there with the Switchblade and Gravity Knife in being the most maligned, misrepresented and legislated against, knives in the country. It is a target for crisis creating politicians and police.

Unlike the Switchblade, Gravity Knife, screwdriver or kitchen knife, however, it does take a degree of skill to open one.

Skill that a crackhead is not going to have because they don't care about skill, they care about crack.

What I mean by that is, alot of Police would freak out and immediately arrest someone for having one.[1] Even though it is just a pocket knife...because of the knife's bad reputation only.

Strictly speaking, the Cop would be in more immediate danger from a common (fixed blade) hunting knife, kitchen knife, screwdriver or large shears...all of which do not need to be manipulated to be used.

The Butterfly is just another victim of bad press, and crisis creating politicians who then use the hysteria to grab another little piece of power.

Just a few years ago, A Baltimore City Police Officer was viciously attacked with an Icepick in a stairwell...the cry never went up to ban something that almost everyone has in their kitchen. And no one tried to make people who like iced tea in the summertime feel guilty about it either, for using the ice chips from using Icepicks.

[1] I'm talking about places where the Butterfly is not specifically named in the State, County or City Law as being illegal to carry on the street. As of my last viewing of the Law in Maryland, they are not illegal for carry, but Police routinely bust people who do carry them because they have broad discretionary powers.

Who let the Dawg out? In my peronal experience Gary balisongs have been designed specifically for sticking in ones own rectum. Seriously. It's flipped open and held in a reverse grip, the holder can then take the knife and plant it firmly in their anus.
biggrin.gif
OK I'm done.

Balisong's are a Filipino utiity/fighting knife, used for those puroses the same as just about any other knife can be. Filipino butterflies are HUGE.

------------------
You may think it's funny but wait till it's your turn.

By the way,

Of course Politicians and Law Enforcement People like to promote the idea, true or false, that various weapons are used by Gangs. It is far easier to create the hysteria that way, demonize the weapon, it is easier to ban it then.

In that you see the fundamental unfairness present in the Gun Control Debate in America. One group does wrong so you take something away from everyone. The Government treats everyone like they are a Member of a Gang, when in point of fact, the people making the law are in nice little "Clubs" called Congress, The Senate, or State Legislatures, City and County Councils. They often exempt themselves from the laws they pass.

All weapons laws that do not immediately reflect on what a person does with the weapon, meaning, some illegality, are fundamentally unfair and un-American.

We have various basic concepts in this Country, life, liberty, the pursuit of happiness...you are innocent until proven guilty in a Court of Law.

And you should not suffer the punishment or judgement, unless you are the perpetrator of the act.

We forgot about that.

[This message has been edited by Don Rearic (edited 12-20-2000).]

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">I haven't heard of too many balisong attacks in the US, nor have I heard of gangs (outside of the movies) flashing them around. I'm sure they're more into the automatic, stiletto type knives.[/B]</font>

The gangs ive ran into, a couple of them had BM9050 AFO Autos.

------------------
QuickSilver--"you just gotta be quick....."
http://www.angelfire.com/nj3/BalisongWorld

Come on Trilan... why would you want to associate balisongs with gangs? It can only have a negative affect on all of us. How many gangs have you run into? In the future please do not tell people it's used by gangs.

Gardner's right... Trilan, more people use balis as tools (or for fun - flipping), than for gang activity. I'm not very happy with the bad rep that has been given to the balisong.

Back