What is a 'dograg'?

HM

I have read somewhere (and still not totally clear about it) that 'dogrags' were used by soldiers as kind of large bandanas (if i remember correctly). What is it exactly? Am I right that they were used to cover head? What are they made of?
I am asking it because I usually find regular bandanas few inches smaller than would be perfect to me.

Thanks,

HM

It's a "Do rag," and all it is is an olive drab or desert tan cravate bandage. Just tie it around your head pirate style *L*
smile.gif

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

Dog Rag would be one more name for a bandana, which is the most important survival tool in anyones kit. If you've read any of the "Hitchhikers guide to the galaxy" series, frequently a towel is mentioned in ones kit. The bandana is the survivalists version of the towel. The number of uses are too many to even begin listing, and new ones are discovered daily. I never noticed this until I began carrying one, and I never forget it now...

Stryver

David, Stryver,

Thanks for the "Do rag" answers.

David: What shape it is? Size? Is it cotton?
Where to find?

Stryver: Understanding (from previous posts) that you usually go for larger sizes, do you use the regular size bandana that I found a tad smaller than ideal?

Thanks,

HM

Another thing that I find really useful is a snipers vail. This is a long camo or olive drab net about 12 to 16" wide and 3' to 5' long. I have used this as a scrarf in cold weather, head gear, loincloth, sain net , stiched up both sides with cord or bark strips to make a carring bag or gathering bag, camoed my gear when I had to ditch it, not to forget it makes a good towel and hot pad to remove hot cooking gear. This are found at army surplus stores or some outdoor/ milatary type catalogs. A real must have iteam.

HM... It is a standard G.I. muslin cravate bandage. It's designed to be able to be used as a shoulder sling (among other things.) It should be plenty large enough for you. I'm sure you could find one at a standard military surplus store.

------------------
When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.

HM,
I frequently carry a handkerchief like you can find at Target or other places like that, generally near the socks and underwear. They come in multiple packs, and are too small to fit ones head without creativity. I also have some cloth scrap, from odd and assorted projects, that I use when I need something larger. Handkerchiefs make good char-cloth if you need it, and do so many other good things. I generally have no need for a head-covering out of one, never did figure out why people would want to. I do use them as sweatbands occasionally, or loosely roll them, soak in water, and tie loosely around ones neck (Like in the westerns) beautiful for keeping one cool. The store-bought ones are cheap, plentiful, and do everything I've ever needed of them...

Stryver

Back