What is the best way to hold a bar of steel while forging?

What is the best way to hold a bar of steel while forging?

• Welded to rebar or other pole

Votes: 4 100.0%
  • Hold with tongs

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I was wondering what the best way to hold a bar of steel is while forging, because I have seen it welded onto rebar or other metal poles, but also I have seen people use tongs to hold it. Please let me know if one is way better than the other.

Leaving the piece long or welded to a scrap is very handy. Eventually the workpiece will have to come off to handle by other means. There is no "best" way to hold. Circumstances vary per task.

I like to weld on a rebar stub that I hold with tongs.

I've only forged full tang knives and I prefer to weld a piece of rebar onto the stock I'm working with.

I also use Z-bar and U-bar tongs. They are great, and allow turning the blade around and holding the tip end when needed. This is a big feature when drawing out tangs.

If the bar stock is long enough you don't need to use tongs or welded rebars, and this is the condition i like to start with...heavy forging and a lot of control.
Eventually you will need to cut the parent bar and that's when the z-box tongs come handy.
If the tongs are shaped so they have 3 points of contact with your knife they will hold it securely... usually flat jaws tongs make only 2 points of contact and the piece won't be held steady

Back