What is the best way to maintain edge on a full Scandi grind blade?

Because the edge covers the entire length of the blade, what would be the best way to maintain edge on a full Scandi grind blade?

I know several people have mentioned using a small micro bevel, and retouching it several times before resetting both the main bevel and the micro bevel.

I use waterstones because its the only stones I can keep a even bevel with on scandi blades. All of mine are cheap mora's though so I always use a microbevel or I'll get so nasty chipping.

I lay 'em flat on the stone. If your stones are flat, it's the easiest knife in the world to get lazer sharp, imo. Then if that zero edge don't hold up for your cutting, add a microbevel. If there is much of a secondary bevel on it, it may take a while to get to zero edge.

I put a small micro bevel on ONE side on some of my scandi's, but only the side that faces your knuckles when you hold the knife.

I lay 'em flat on the stone. If your stones are flat, it's the easiest knife in the world to get lazer sharp, imo. Then if that zero edge don't hold up for your cutting, add a microbevel. If there is much of a secondary bevel on it, it may take a while to get to zero edge.

OK, I will try your method.

Back