What is the definition of a Multitool ?

A bit of a funny question , but one I've been thinking about .
Where does being a knife end and a Multitool begin ?
Is it the pliers that make it a Multitool ?

Ken

I wouldn't say it's the pliers that make a multitool, simply because there are so many knive/tools/things that could classify as multifunction tools. For example, I know plenty of people (myself included) that consider a SAK a multitool. I would say a knife stops being a just a knife as soon as other uses are intentionally added to the design. I could see someone making the argument that a Kershaw Shuffle could be a multitool, I just wouldn't call it the best example of one.

I would say that being a knife is totally secondary to being a multi-tool. (bladeless fuse?) but its the addition of other tools to a main tool for convenience, regardless of if it works or not. so those little combination knife/crescent wrenches, or fencing pliers (hammer pliers) are both multi-tools, one has a knife, and one doesn't (and guess which one actually works?) but if someone made a high quality crescent wrench knife, I would probably need one.

A better definition might be that a multi-tool is anything that has more than one obvious and dedicated tool with a discrete usage. So a knife can be used as a prybar, but is not a multi-tool, but a knife with a designed prying pommel would be.

Back