What is the Finest Grit Compund?

I've seen it bandied about in these forums from time to time, but I have never seen the definitive answer to:

"What is the finest grit of stropping compound available?"

I have heard it said that the green Chromium Oxide compound is 0.5 micron (http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32984&cat=1,43072). This would make it the finest mesh compund that I know of for sure.

I recently aquired a bag of DMT diamond pastes that includeds 1, 3 and 6 micron pastes. It would follow logic that you would use the diamond paste from 6-1, then use the 0.5 Chromium Oxide last. The thing is, I find that the 0.5 actually reduces the "razor-ness" of the edge.

My proccess starts with an EdgePro. I'm using all of these substances on finished, hard, fine grain leather. I am also carefull to not roll the edges over.

Please include links, if you have them, to sources for the products you may mention here.

Unless it says so, a lot of green CrO compounds are 3 micron particles - 6 times larger than what you've read. Lee Valley sells a 0.5 micron particle mixture of CrO and AO. Bufffing Unlimited's standard green buffing compound is just a hair tinier (average size 0.475 microns) and also a mixture of CrO and AO, but they also sell a 0.3 micron compound with CrO as its sole abrasive (but only in minimum orders of 20 three-pound bars when I last called).

Norton sells 0.25 diamond paste and 3M sells 0.1 micron diamond-impregnated lapping film. Saw the Norton stuff at www.toolsforworkingwood.com and the 3M sheet at www.rshughes.com

Hope that helps.

how fine can you get before you lose any effect because of the steel composition?

"What is the finest grit of stropping compound available?"

Butter, sometimes margarine will do, if you're in a pinch.

I have Al2O3 abrasive film, that is 0.3 microns. But the edges I get on that are just soo polished and soooooo wicked sharp... Though don't last too long at that level.
But when ppl talk about hair and atom splitting that must be very close.

I love that scene from "The Bodyguard" where Witney Houston drops the scarf on KK's sword and it flutters into two pieces. I wonder if that is really possible?

Anyhow, Here is part two of my question: How do microns relate to grit and mesh? I've seen a variety of charts (some pointed to on this very forum), but they all have holes, doon't go far enough, or are just plain contradictory. Could someone post what a link to what they believe to be the definitive reference?

I have some of the 15, 5 and 0.5 micron mylar film from 3M. They don't sell the 0.5 anymore. That stuff was GREAT for sharpening wood tools. I'll check out the other sources pointed to here. Gator; got a link to the Al203 stuff?

Linde B is 0.05 micron aluminum oxide. Not much use to you unless you are shaving atoms off laser mirrors etc.
Lapidary diamond pastes, dust and spray goes down to 0.1 micron
Linde A is 0.3 micron aluminum oxide and would be good for razor strops.
Hand America has Chrome oxide 0.5 micron in liquid and powder form as well as cubic boron carbide in 1.8 micron. 3 microns is about 8k, 1 micron is about 14k, 0.25 micron is about 100k

Back