What is your favorite model and why?

I currently have 5 O K&T's including 3 models; the Hunter, Mamushi and Warthog. All 3 of them are stellar and its honestly tough to pick a favorite. Everyone is going to have different opinions, uses, needs and environments but if I really had to pick one for daily use/carry, I'd probably go with the Mamushi. The Hunter blade is a little on the large size for whooping it out at the mall food court to cut up food for the kids. The Warthog blade is just a bit short of reach for cutting an apple in half for the kids. The Mamushi blade is a good all around length and the tip shape can turn into cuts a bit better. And as mentioned in another post about why I like Chris' stuff, the Mamushi would also serve as a nice defense tool.

So there you have it: Mamushi for pizza, apples and protection. Don't leave home without it. :)

edit/disclaimer: No doubt I'll be picking up more of Chris' models so this could possibly change over time.

Last edited:
I love all the models I've aquired so far, but I have to agree with Jerry, if I had to choose a favorite it would be the Mamushi, it just locks into my hand perfectly and it's a good size for EDC and defensive use if the need arises.

I agree, tough to pick a favorite when across the range of models all appear to be great designs suited for different purposes.

As far as favorite goes in terms of knives, I usually have to go with the one I would carry and use the most often as a favorite. Chris has a few good designs that fit well in an every day role. Of my set of Osprey K&Ts, this is a close call between the Mamushi, Warthog and EDU. I really enjoy the feel of the Warthog handle over the Mamushi, though this is only a minor and subjective feel of increased comfort. I personally do not get to hung up on blade shape, unless there is some dramatic trailing sweep, and adjust my cuts to compensate. Between the Mamushi/Warthot they perform daily stuff comparably even with a slight difference in OAL size, blade length and shape. In terms of last ditch defense efforts, I would have to give the nod towards the Mamushi for piercing - though I would not want to get stabbed by either. For a trail companion, I gravitate more towards the Warthog's blade shape. Both excellent models are excellent but I find a slight preference towards the Warthog for increased versatility and perceived handle comfort.

The EDU is just a cool little knife. As the name implies, it is a great (for me) 3-finger utility blade and probably my most carried of Chris' knives. The small profile is very pocketble, the blade is not too big/not too small for daily tasks from construction to slicing bits of apple for the kids, and I've used the fine tip on several occasions to dig out a nagging splinter. Mine has a nice fat handle, but I can see the lack of appeal for anyone with xxxxl hands on these smaller knives.

The Raptor is a dead nuts sexy knife. Whether you are filleting smaller fish or slipping between ribs, this knife has got you covered. My use for a small, thin stainless B&T leaves this with limited or specialized utility for me. I have a strong reluctance to accept my station as a Northeasterner and switch over to the proper documentation for a state Hunting/Fishing license so my Raptor just gets fiddled around with for the most part. Looks alone, I love this knife.

The OKT Kiridashi gets special mention. If you enjoy regular fiddling & carving on wood, this is a fun one too and works well for a relatively inexpensive yet "custom" box cutter/mail opener/strap snapper etc etc. If I was practical and less of a nut with my knife buying habits, this would be a top offering from Chris for me. If I ever getting around to breaking the packages open on all these leatherworking tools I have had sitting around here for ever, then the dashi may become my most used OKT.

The tl/dr response - Probably the EDU, maybe the Warthog and a close tie with the Mamushi and if I was not plagued with knife ADHD the kiridashi. As we have seen Chris is constantly evolving and improving his craft to beat his own personal ambitions and appeal to current consumer demands. As such my list may evolve along with some of the changes.

I have a number of OKT's

2. Warthogs
1. Mamushi
1. Warthog Hunter
2. Kiridashi's, one right and one left hand
1. Apache EDC

They are all great, but, my number one favorite is ....................... my Apache.

When I pick it up, it slips right into the perfect spot in my hand almost as if it knew where to be.
I could not have found a better fit for my hand if it had been custom made exclusively for me.
The blade to handle ratio is perfect, well balanced and stout.

I use the Apache for pretty much all I do in the woods, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. It's always either on my belt or in my truck. It came with a shaving sharp edge and held it for a considerable amount of time given my penchant for using a knife for digging, batoning, prying, and beating along side of its intended purpose of cutting. Thank Goodness for 01 tool steel.

This brings us to the point of sharpening. As I said, it has an 01 tool steel blade which readily takes an edge and holds it very well.
The G10 scales are bulletproof, an important aspect of any tool, not to mention they're 'kinda purty'
The blade is thick and wide enough that i can hold it by the spine and do smaller tasks while leaving my fingers out of the line of fire.
This is undeniably my "go to knife".

If there is a downside, it is a bit large to wear on your belt while going to church, but hey, that's what a Glock is for. Right ??

I've handled several of the OKT models, but I've only ever owned a Warthog, it's definitely my favorite of all of the ones I've held so far. Unfortunately, I let that specific Warthog go to a new home, fortunately, Chris is making a new one for me. :D

I really like the Warthog/Razorback models. I think the Warthog itself is a good all around size for many things when you want to carry a small, light knife. The grip works well for my hands on the smaller Warthog and larger Razorback. But I do also like the more open flowing contouring of the Apache/Hunter/Ranger handle.

I've handled several of the OKT models, but I've only ever owned a Warthog, it's definitely my favorite of all of the ones I've held so far. Unfortunately, I let that specific Warthog go to a new home, fortunately, Chris is making a new one for me. :D

I was going to leave a similar reply. Unfortunately I had to let my Warthog go for other reasons but I miss it dearly. The Warthog worked perfectly for my needs. It was just enough blade for larger tasks but was small enough to be very versatile for numerous tasks.

I was going to leave a similar reply. Unfortunately I had to let my Warthog go for other reasons but I miss it dearly. The Warthog worked perfectly for my needs. It was just enough blade for larger tasks but was small enough to be very versatile for numerous tasks.

Agreed! Chris let me know that my new one is coming along. I can't wait see what he comes up with and to get it in my hands!

I currently have 5 O K&T's including 3 models; the Hunter, Mamushi and Warthog. All 3 of them are stellar and its honestly tough to pick a favorite. Everyone is going to have different opinions, uses, needs and environments but if I really had to pick one for daily use/carry, I'd probably go with the Mamushi. The Hunter blade is a little on the large size for whooping it out at the mall food court to cut up food for the kids. The Warthog blade is just a bit short of reach for cutting an apple in half for the kids. The Mamushi blade is a good all around length and the tip shape can turn into cuts a bit better. And as mentioned in another post about why I like Chris' stuff, the Mamushi would also serve as a nice defense tool.

So there you have it: Mamushi for pizza, apples and protection. Don't leave home without it. :)

edit/disclaimer: No doubt I'll be picking up more of Chris' models so this could possibly change over time.

Thank you for sharing your preferences and experiences with your knives Jerry! I enjoy hearing you guy's preferences and opinions on the different profiles, always useful to help me understand the needs and wants of my customers. Thank you for your contribution!

I love all the models I've aquired so far, but I have to agree with Jerry, if I had to choose a favorite it would be the Mamushi, it just locks into my hand perfectly and it's a good size for EDC and defensive use if the need arises.

Dually noted Gus! I see a common denominator between you and Jerry on style! Thank you for sharing!

I agree, tough to pick a favorite when across the range of models all appear to be great designs suited for different purposes.

As far as favorite goes in terms of knives, I usually have to go with the one I would carry and use the most often as a favorite. Chris has a few good designs that fit well in an every day role. Of my set of Osprey K&Ts, this is a close call between the Mamushi, Warthog and EDU. I really enjoy the feel of the Warthog handle over the Mamushi, though this is only a minor and subjective feel of increased comfort. I personally do not get to hung up on blade shape, unless there is some dramatic trailing sweep, and adjust my cuts to compensate. Between the Mamushi/Warthog they perform daily stuff comparably even with a slight difference in OAL size, blade length and shape. In terms of last ditch defense efforts, I would have to give the nod towards the Mamushi for piercing - though I would not want to get stabbed by either. For a trail companion, I gravitate more towards the Warthog's blade shape. Both excellent models are excellent but I find a slight preference towards the Warthog for increased versatility and perceived handle comfort.

The EDU is just a cool little knife. As the name implies, it is a great (for me) 3-finger utility blade and probably my most carried of Chris' knives. The small profile is very pocketable, the blade is not too big/not too small for daily tasks from construction to slicing bits of apple for the kids, and I've used the fine tip on several occasions to dig out a nagging splinter. Mine has a nice fat handle, but I can see the lack of appeal for anyone with xxxxl hands on these smaller knives.

The Raptor is a dead nuts sexy knife. Whether you are filleting smaller fish or slipping between ribs, this knife has got you covered. My use for a small, thin stainless B&T leaves this with limited or specialized utility for me. I have a strong reluctance to accept my station as a Northeasterner and switch over to the proper documentation for a state Hunting/Fishing license so my Raptor just gets fiddled around with for the most part. Looks alone, I love this knife.

The OKT Kiridashi gets special mention. If you enjoy regular fiddling & carving on wood, this is a fun one too and works well for a relatively inexpensive yet "custom" box cutter/mail opener/strap snapper etc etc. If I was practical and less of a nut with my knife buying habits, this would be a top offering from Chris for me. If I ever getting around to breaking the packages open on all these leatherworking tools I have had sitting around here for ever, then the dashi may become my most used OKT.

The tl/dr response - Probably the EDU, maybe the Warthog and a close tie with the Mamushi and if I was not plagued with knife ADHD the kiridashi. As we have seen Chris is constantly evolving and improving his craft to beat his own personal ambitions and appeal to current consumer demands. As such my list may evolve along with some of the changes.

Whew That was a great insight Danny! Of course being an avid follower of you Instagram page it comes as no surprise. I have seen the evidence through your pictures that you really put your knives to work. It is awesome to see these profiles filling little niches in you life. As you said, I try to design knives with task and purpose in mind as well as being visually appealing. (Form follow Function).

It will be interesting to see how this list changes overtime. Thank you for sharing with us.

I have a number of OKT's

2. Warthogs
1. Mamushi
1. Warthog Hunter
2. Kiridashi's, one right and one left hand
1. Apache EDC

They are all great, but, my number one favorite is ....................... my Apache.

When I pick it up, it slips right into the perfect spot in my hand almost as if it knew where to be.
I could not have found a better fit for my hand if it had been custom made exclusively for me.
The blade to handle ratio is perfect, well balanced and stout.

I use the Apache for pretty much all I do in the woods, and I spend a lot of time in the woods. It's always either on my belt or in my truck. It came with a shaving sharp edge and held it for a considerable amount of time given my penchant for using a knife for digging, batoning, prying, and beating along side of its intended purpose of cutting. Thank Goodness for 01 tool steel.

This brings us to the point of sharpening. As I said, it has an 01 tool steel blade which readily takes an edge and holds it very well.
The G10 scales are bulletproof, an important aspect of any tool, not to mention they're 'kinda purty'
The blade is thick and wide enough that i can hold it by the spine and do smaller tasks while leaving my fingers out of the line of fire.
This is undeniably my "go to knife".

If there is a downside, it is a bit large to wear on your belt while going to church, but hey, that's what a Glock is for. Right ??

Mark! You have a special Apache there! One of the few I made in 01 steel, I remember this knife very well, and had fun cutting up pillows in my garage with Elena testing out how sharp and stabby it was. I was not surprised as well by your choice as your favorite. I am fan of your Instagram page as well and I have always enjoyed seeing what you get into with your Apache. You put that thing through hell and it keeps on ticking! Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

Bump to the top. There's gotta be more opinions than this :)

Thanks Schmittie!

Odaon, we are about to remedy that real soon!

I really like the Warthog/Razorback models. I think the Warthog itself is a good all around size for many things when you want to carry a small, light knife. The grip works well for my hands on the smaller Warthog and larger Razorback. But I do also like the more open flowing contouring of the Apache/Hunter/Ranger handle.

Thanks Danny, Any new models you would like to try out or are curious about?

what kind of Warthog would you get if you got another?

Agreed! Chris let me know that my new one is coming along. I can't wait see what he comes up with and to get it in my hands!

:D:thumbsup:;)

what kind of Warthog would you get if you got another?

Chris I think you really have a winner with the guard-less Warthog. The finger groove of the Warthog already locks the knife in hand. For me, on a blade of this size, the guard is unnecessary. Im certain it excels at food prep or as a small game / bird & trout blade. A great outdoor EDC.

Chris I think you really have a winner with the guard-less Warthog. The finger groove of the Warthog already locks the knife in hand. For me, on a blade of this size, the guard is unnecessary. Im certain it excels at food prep or as a small game / bird & trout blade. A great outdoor EDC.

Agreed! I asked for guardless on the one he's whipping up for me. :thumbsup:

Yeah I'm a big fan of guardless models too Orion. I like that it lets me sharpen the entire usable cutting edge, as well as a little bit more height for food prep.

I saw your review of the guardless Warthog after I posted my reply. It was an outstanding review. Very well done and informative.

Thanks Danny, Any new models you would like to try out or are curious about?

I'll have to think about that, and I do intend to bump up your "what would you like to see" thread before I expire

Though, I have been loving up on a knife that appears very similar to your Trail Hand. So that might be something to explore and the Nomad still has me curious

I'd probably have to go with Adriana Lima for current models, Jessica Alba (Sin City version) who should have been one and I'm trying to remember the 80's ....

Oh wait, you said "what" not "who". I'll have to get back to you at a future date when I compare the Warthog, Warthog K and mini Apache to give you a final answer. In general I prefer a 3" to 3 1/2" blade. I like drop point blades. I'd need to compare the Warthog and its K counterpart with actual use to see which I prefer. I think the K has a slightly taller blade so I'm not sure if that would change any turn-in ability for cutting but I generally prefer a guardless blade. I love the Apache handle contours but the OAL gets a bit large for every day use carry so that's why I mocked up that mini Apache drawing a while back. For now, I guess I'd generically say Warthog.

I have only owned a Warthog and that was close to 2 years ago. The Nomad and the Trailhand look to be the most interesting to me. Hopefully I'll have my hands on a Nomad sooner then later.

I've been trying to formulate a decent response to your question Chris. I've decide to answer it from an EDC point of view, since after some thought, it seems EDC is the main criteria I am usually considering when I buy your knives as of late. Also, I am very glad to see one of the "mash-ups" in the work in progress thread. I've been systematically buying representatives of your line as the configuration I like comes up. As a result, I own 8 OKT knives representing 8 models: Nomad, One-off (mini-mushi w/ bowie clip), Warthog, Trailhand, Mamushi, Raptor, K Raptor, and a Ranger.

Here they are:
bNRRzkEnZJBuOIQ23wQ1wQOlckSEKjqHpCRQXWdIFXrrVoi3_4d1OgqECiif8PoggZLyvGnPHZvhpCKKYybMlBq6iQyCKTp4CQ7eGKj4X-XgYKUkWvIPwXDEbEZuGUZkoSAvmKBPBjn4chG1hwW7czflxQgqeVhDbSOC5hS8AGm-TS4hDQiT9bZC6VbAzx2_7ctn5WAja2LdNP_Lx5paIlYospWPhImsCNhWnuMBSGArOy0NRxv23RXQe9Pc9VdiOa3Q2urfLqCwI6eILW17XRpFtsT-mwzbhrusTUX16bKlBVHvCA6g48VKX04RM4-M6F4fBwgLBbf6X4n4ZC_ROwLbDRkaDkZs7ByuFTcbY3cMfthxYnhDvnCytg5cKzQz3Hgl_VSV5hZPDRZC_dJ1HxlAwX_Vp4OkeIHr_7q5a1WB8YvSJ90cp58Tl3K2DM7ulX_qA2B_GTTBpeOeElVgxztMUmkL1fROE3aoweUMX-2z1PWmoiHU-mnY7daaZPidArMw3oaMAjfs22EClRPfZhamUefpIdz-U9N_KYIBBjxViMwZuKoqH8UwC6w5Ro3d_Dj7ETzWpbpwOQKf1Z35ruLHGe_R-jjARTp130oPcA=w800-h544-no

I've carried all but the Ranger and Raptors in some form or fashion. Conversely I've probably spent the most time using the Raptors as they live in the kitchen and get more or less daily use. The favorite is the K Raptor. As many of you have followed my Fiddleback threads, you know I am a huge fan of the HB/BC lineup due to the curved butt. What can I say, I like curved butts :D. No difference with OKT knives, thus the added clearance of the K Raptor handle due to the angle and the curved butt make it preferred to the straight up Raptor.

These features translate in to the EDCs as well. Here are the 3 I use the most next to the K Raptor.

SeTN8DCQh2iivxnHOmh_Ll-wU0cA-XLKrCvfwdcyI2lJ3RDYzTo01VW8Ksu5IAqBRs0iWbU2NiQ4XC2daYr0622LYiE9w8B5QUrXjlJ_LoSXu4AjrmFLZctsfvmjJNgb8tNiS1cNDbZZaC8M9H5N0xPm2AT6Y5TApYKqkMRsO4ZBYbH0RvZx-IJXUllVdC9syxQOkkGKuP5FwWp9x7iiYwbHZMXEKQEG2hhsdqo5czKpSQ0WZnsPfDFseWY9leQiFqu4pyP9Q4MI3YI5iLJ6Jzzfbf_zLmLBMO1J-FmHDibB6i23YGeFizpOHsXVOLeexgcUhLcaGFyJkshM87cDSmhw2KRUYnaOq8D20hXGZ6QJHo8M8eG4lO6Fjl4s2f8eTWY_6V4ydCtUTxLouLTpaDcXfHN21NFFecyyFHXhpzn_133s4WT2rGhIoY2n-gckpDIauGbOSGXlzR75jQJc3rn_8oNGPF48J9UUp2HR7-Ng-1d4tWSQkVAM3Tc44n5RfoMSQ7AgNO25ryp4wfOGrr6Q3tHS9_xJFORsYaWvzVKcTAUBsC6U-vxfLXaKxH_Za2nPhXAqn33AE890u7FokHY_anVoCeVP9iqz9NpEVg=w800-h792-no

Warthog: I find the blade shape of the Warthog very utilitarian. It seems to do anything I wish. I love the handle materials. Not a fan of the squared/angled butt as the straight lines dig it in my palm with repetitive use.

Trailhand
: I carried the Trailhand through Africa for several weeks. Love the grip. The one thing I noticed is clearance due to the amount of curve in the line of the spine. Both the Mamushi and the Trailhand have a similar rear rake, meaning as the handle curves downward it limits the amount of space for your hand. See my thread here about "angle of attack": Osprey K&T Comparison photos When I tilt the knife up to increase clearance it reduces the length of the effective cutting edge. The net answer is I would prefer these models be straightened out a bit. In this respect, I prefer the spine line of the Warthog

The one-off: This knife is not my "typical" style. I'm not sure what drew me to it, but I am so glad I bought it. This is the one I carry the most. It's small, light, has the curved butt. This is nice because in my hands it hits the pocket of my palm. The Bowie cut (or whatever you would call it) on the blade hits my index finger perfectly when extended and placed on top of the blade. Since it's a shortened version of a Mamushi, the shortening actually took some of the rake out. I can't say enough good things about this little guy.

Mamushi: Some of you may have noticed that I have not reviewed the Mamushi. The Mamushi I have is the only 1/8" knife in the lineup of the smaller knives. The weight is the reason I have been carrying the others instead.

Nomad: I keep going back to the one-off so often I haven't given the Nomad its fair share, so I haven't developed a strong opinion about it.

I was fortunate enough to be able to meet up with Varga49 recently and I was able to handle his OKT Tusk. Its shortened profile vs. the Trailhand solves some of the same things the shortening of the one-off does. I was an immediate fan and I need my own. As soon as the right config comes up, I will definitely be getting one. I must confess, I've already bought the sheath for it from Jofuu. Really, I bought a sheath for knife I don't own. :rolleyes:

I was a bit a head of you Chris and I was super excited to see the mashup you posted here of a Warthog and Trailhand:
2v2utVBiVxfzv6d.jpg

I had already drawn this outline for this post and to make a recommendation for what I think would be the best combo of your model's features into an EDC (for me). However, I had chosen the K Raptor handle and the Warthog blade. Let me know if you want me to mail you this pattern.....I'd be first in line!!!! (and yes, that's guardless on purpose)
6zun2xrUXQYQlQVLShEBEjVh3-vyHR_6Rj56rfGec7-X4saa-d_YJ5VDfwwRayXYCW2GdPEm0pQ1R0OjXYt6S7X2paY-cKVvvjqPuoVXHQk-CRUcUnpiN733p49vaiuZXfsDb2I8Utp9G5TOs6I6to8gn2qpvqY5urPM_D5SCuB1PvFow7D1pKTozu5PPnKKX-sjE2eWdJQlJAjv4hCnizQSeeRYPk5gEfrtm271qJID2B18SB_JoOTM76orTV0q3Sf6AsAped7vHnz5_5aZUzxa7ZwigCx8l3J2BHdNdCHIvCGCPoaN4DAFBOtuLrn64yySlzrjIFjXgLKfmfWivUmAzF8Y7OBNl64qO6SM_z8P-uBr20PFAF810eL1xDECKl0x5yoovzDSbAH6LlAZWnciFb3feizJxB3PGXxI08vlkVmXOZRB5yokRDb4l87lqVXey5YSMKfbR_YGjRwomokJ7kUAlirFXRp_5Vwn6MygAnJr0LOE-UAL1M5c1-WaDOZE3_6wgP0WW-mF8bGv_RvNcOs3En9ewlBjxQeUzFfDqPJK8Jh5GFBJa0AIN85uRO_43afq-BZlO34O7-_a4cWjmTMNUL6P-UY2pPTddQ=w684-h800-no

Last edited:
Back