What knife do you like to dress game with?

Minnesota

BANNED
Hi, I'm pretty new to hunting. I've only been once, Oct '08. Got an 8-pointer btw. Anyways, this is pretty bad but I didn't dress it. I was on my uncle's friend's property and niether me, my dad or uncle knew how to do it. So, my uncles friend did it. I was expecting my uncle's friend to have a pretty big knife for some reason but all he used was some sort of really thin scandi boning knife. Maybe 5.5" blade?

Well it seemed to work pretty well for him. I imagine the thin blade worked pretty well slicing through meat. I've seen on here people using all sorts of different stuff. I'd like to give hunting another shot (;)) this year. I'm not really looking for suggestions I'm more curious to see what other people use and why. So, what do you use and why? :)

I use a crk inyoni, I like the way it handles and it's light weight. used it on every thing from deer to brook trout

For deer I *really* like my Gerber Freeman Hunter. I know Gerber's not fashionable or whatever but that blade takes a very nice edge and the hand is really well thought out for good grip even while goopy.

I've started using a Spyderco Endura 50/50 for many deer. The serated edge is good for cutting up the breast bone.

I used a USA Old Timer Sharpfinger for many years.

I love these 2 blades for field dressing deer... Rosarms Companion 2 and ESEE Izula. Obviously I use just one of the 2 at a time so my pick just depends how I'm feeling on the morning of the hunt. I like a small blade, around 3 inches, I feel I have better control.

Heck I've even dressed a moose with the izula (sub 3 inch blade) and never had any trouble.

But more important than any blade type is knowing how to do it... look on youtube to find tutorials. I just checked on google and there are a TON of links too. Just remember to take your time and watch for the bladder.

Good luck and let us know how it turns out! :)

2ndweekend007.jpg

moose2009014.jpg

I like my Schrade Walden folding hunter or my old Marbles Fieldcraft in 52100 from back in the Mike Stewart days.

When I was a kid I dressed deer, and skinned coons, possums, squirrels, rabbits, groundhogs, and pretty much everything with my old Schrade yeller Shadow stockman.

For the last couple of seasons, for whitetail, I've used this little DI
handled Fitch hunter in 1084 steel...

fitchhunter.jpg

This season I get to try out my Walnut handled Don Hanson III hunter in W2.

standard.jpg

They both have around a 4 1/2" blade.

Good thread, Minnesota. :)
Nice knives guys :thumbup: can't wait to see more.

Doug

For many years I cleaned all my game (deer,squirrels,turkey,fish) with a Buck 110. Worked just fine,,THEN,,I became a Knife Nut and things got complicated for some reason. Damn It.

I think a cord wrapped handle would get nasty.

Havent hunted in a while. I always used an Old Timer Sharpfinger, Schrade LB7, and Old Timer pocket knives. If I had to clean something now,Id like to try a Mora clipper. That knife cuts.

For processing, I have a bunch of Old Hickories.

For many years I cleaned all my game (deer,squirrels,turkey,fish) with a Buck 110. Worked just fine,,THEN,,I became a Knife Nut and things got complicated for some reason. Damn It.

I still like to use my 110's and a Buck Alpha folder. But I hear ya on the knife nut thing, I now mix it up every year with mostly various Bucks. Almost always a folder in the 3"+/- range. You dont really need a huge blade, as others have stated.

I think a cord wrapped handle would get nasty.

I had a Swamp Rat Warden, I did not like it with para cord for cleaning larger game, the cord was replaced. ;)

For deer any 3.5 to 5 inch drop point should be all you need. Bring a small fold/slide saw to make life easy.
Watch some youtube tutorials and don't be hesitant just get in there.
Butchering and cutting meat is easy
Doing it well takes practice

Before hunting season buy a whole hip of beef and cut it down to size with the knife you will be using. They are cheap and have lots of usable meat.

Follow the bone and open it up, follow the natural seams of the meat and separate the large muscles and removing the tough fibrous silver skin lining the muscles without waste. This is where a razor sharp knife and a calm slow approach saves meat.
Sure your roasts and cuts won't win any beauty contests at first but you will have lots for stirfry and stews if you hack it up.
I would rather have a ragged looking roast from good beef prepared well than a beautiful and underseasoned/overcooked one.

Use a lanyard when you are gutting as it will be slippery and get a wyoming game zipper or guthook folder for opening the belly until you are more proficient. Nothing worse than slashed viscera or urine in the body cavity.

Take care and seriously take my advice. I used to train guys on the line and that is how we started them, on badly sawn or bruised hip's that would be ground for burger or chopped for stew meat.
Once you have taken one apart the nervousness from inexperience will be far less in hunting season.

Brad the Butcher. Do you ever use a fillet knife to remove membrane from meat?

I have heard it said that you can often tell the experience of a hunter by the size of his knife. The larger the knife the less experience. A young hunter may carry a large Rambo style knife whereas an older, more experienced hunter can be seen with a small Case pocket knife. That's not to say that either is wrong, I have found that the older I get the less gear I want to lug along with me.

I prefer a smaller fixed blade like the ones below. I have been carrying a knife like this for quite a few years now.

044.jpg

SDS

Last edited:
I've always used a Buck Vanguard. Ever since the first time I used one to dress a deer. It is still my favorite :thumbup:

DSC00186.jpg
l to r. custom 06--gec pioneer red buffalo--gec musk stag. the 06 has been used for deer 20 years. the 2 gecs were used last season.the pioneer has done deer & turkeys. the musk is for rabbits & ducks.although the pioneer [ 4.5 in. closed ] has sliced ribs on deer the 06 custom is faster at skinning.

I've wondered about field dressing game with knives like that and paracord wrapped handles. Did you have to re-wrap that after you finished? Any worry about the cord retaining moisture and rusting the handle and so forth?

Yeah I chucked the cord when I was done and kept it naked until the end of deer season (naked izula is the way to go for cleaning game). Now it's wrapped again (going camping and stuff), cord is cheap anyways...

I have heard it said that you can often tell the experience of a hunter by the size of his knife. The larger the knife the less experience. A young hunter may carry a large Rambo style knife whereas an older, more experienced hunter can be seen with a small Case pocket knife. That's not to say that either is wrong, I have found that the older I get the less gear I want to lug along with me.

I prefer a smaller fixed blade like the ones below. I have been carrying a knife like this for quite a few years now.

SDS

I have found this to be very true...

SDS

Next time I go hunting Im taking my Tiny Bearpaw cuz I want to be known as a experienced hunter.:D

Schrade Sharpfinger for me too.

I also us the Butt-Out tool for extracting the butt canal. I strongly recommend making sure the deer is dead before using this tool :D

buttout.jpg

Last edited:
Back