What knife set does chef Gordon Ramsey use in his kitchen?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The older cooking shows and the ones on PBS, which feature chefs that demonstrate and stress the importance of good knife skills are way better.

Agreed....there was an old show starring 2 women (the Hot Tamales ?) who used stained, carbon-steel French-looking knives, and they always stressed the importance of developing good knife-handling skills. You don`t see that basic concept discussed much these days.
And, if I had to do it again, I just might go with carbon-steel blades....

Actually I have asked a lot of chefs what they use. Same for the butchers in local stores. In probably 90% of the cases they use whatever the place owner provided. Knowing some of the owners, what they buy is what's the best price on sale when they buy....
So, it's hardly an indicator of anything.

It's amazing to me. If you ask any chef what is the most important tool in the kitchen, they will tell you it is the knife. Yet most of them have fairly poor taste in knives. I've been selling knives to chefs for years and years and never ceases to amaze me. Come on over to foodie forums and you can chat with some chefs that are knowledgeable and passionate about their cutlery.

It's amazing to me. If you ask any chef what is the most important tool in the kitchen, they will tell you it is the knife. Yet most of them have fairly poor taste in knives. I've been selling knives to chefs for years and years and never ceases to amaze me. Come on over to foodie forums and you can chat with some chefs that are knowledgeable and passionate about their cutlery.

ROTFLMAO.........

passionate is a slight understatement

Actually you got that one wrong. Those excessively hard knives are the ones that can survive with quick and light touchups for months in home use and softer western knives need serious sharpening monthly or even more frequently.
Watnabe Nakiri which I use very often so far (1+ year) needed nothing more than 2 touchups on 10K stone and regular maintenance on 0.25mic and plain leather strops.
Same with Honyaki gyuto from him. Same for Moritaka chukabocho, Takeda chukabocho and the rest of them... All of those knives are in 63-65+ HRC range...

Gator97,
It is pretty obvious that you are not a chef nor have you worked in restaurants.
You are wrong because I was issued a set of French forged knives at the CCA.

in home use
You have no idea of what knives go though in a large restaurant. You've owned a knife for a year and have only needed to give it 2 touch-ups and you think that's the same as sectioning 20+ chickens a day, 6-days a week for 5-10 years in a restaurant? :rolleyes:

Ever seen kitchen knives that have been in use for 10 years?

Gator97,
It is pretty obvious that you are not a chef nor have you worked in restaurants.
You are wrong because I was issued a set of French forged knives at the CCA.

You have no idea of what knives go though in a large restaurant. You've owned a knife for a year and have only needed to give it 2 touch-ups and you think that's the same as sectioning 20+ chickens a day, 6-days a week for 5-10 years in a restaurant? :rolleyes:

Ever seen kitchen knives that have been in use for 10 years?

easy peasy lemon squeezy...........no need to be condecending

you were "issued" or "paid for" as in -- included in your tuition ?
was everyone given/allowed to purchace the same knives?

I've spoken with quite a few CIA grads here on the forums, and they relay that what they were taught about knives in school might take up a page in a book. I actually sharpened a "kit" from a grad that was working at the local yaht club, it was some pretty soft stuff.

Gator never said anything about a commercial kitchen..he said "at home"

comparing japanese and western knives is pretty difficult..different cutting techniques to deal with the hardness, which isn't excessive, it's that hard so it will hold a razor edge for very delecate work.
Where you'll see a chef "steel" a knife during the day, you'll hardly ever see an
Itamae putting his knife to a waterstone during his shift ( unless he has a whups moment )

8mh4r2Hm.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back