What knife would you like to see next from CPK?

From another thread about the field knife:

I'm hoping to be given the opportunity to take another shot at the pattern, I've found a few changes I'd like to make after having used one for awhile

I retired the Field Knife because I'd made so many of them. There was an extended pre-order sale of them here so anyone who wanted one and was willing to wait a few months could get one with no effort. They were available at a dealer website. There are probably close to 400 of them out there which is a lot for such a small shop.

I know it was a popular pattern and I know I need to revisit a Field Knife again in the future, but we're a small shop and aren't able to make lots of multiple patterns simultaneously so I have to decide how we're going to spend our time. Should I continue to spit out something I've already made so many of or should I focus energy on something new? Personally I prefer to do new stuff because it prevents monotony. I retired the potato knife at the height of its popularity because I'd made 100 of them and I was tired of making them.

We're currently making a really good small EDC knife and a fantastic go-anywhere-do-anything Light Chopper. We're about to release a durable mid sized knife. Looking forward I'd like to make a big chopper and a folder too and I haven't done an art knife or a weapon in a while. But at some point I will come back to a Field Knife again, I promise.

Thank you for your support.:thumbup:

Seeing it in writing is encouraging. I'd certainly be on board for the 2.0 version, even if it takes a while to get there. It looks like there were some other things on the drawing board that are ahead of the new field knife. Thumbs up for the 4V as well.

Of course, the personal trimmer takes precedence..

I'd really REALLY like to see (and order) Nathan the Machinist Nathan the Machinist 's take on a western Bowie knife. I got the lever gun, soon to be ordering my first wheel gun, and I'd absolutely love to have a nice Bowie to go with them.
For about 10 minutes I contemplated clipping the point on my D2 HDFK... I may still swedge it. ;)

~Chip

Wouldn't mind a trailing point knife 5.5-6" blade, slicey, lightweight, but still strong enough for woods use.

just finishing up a knife pattern/logo design gig that's been in the works the past few months, and then I'll be focused on FK2. I was thinking of using O1 because I can get it pre-precision ground and it's easy to work with and heat treat. Aiming to have a functional prototype by next spring at the latest

just finishing up a knife pattern/logo design gig that's been in the works the past few months, and then I'll be focused on FK2. I was thinking of using O1 because I can get it pre-precision ground and it's easy to work with and heat treat. Aiming to have a functional prototype by next spring at the latest

Very interested to see this.

Very interested to see this.

+1

Choppers are fun to look at and play with occasionally, but they are more of a niche market in my opinion. A well designed 4" +/- Field Knife is a practical choice for any outdoors person. I focus mostly on buying knives that I will carry and use often for a variety of tasks.

Bring it on Lorien! I would submit my pre-order now if I could based on your track record of excellent designs.

Phil

I'm with Phil.

Too many niche models that I have to buy and not enough FK!

The recent focus on the EDC and various choppers has allowed me to share the spending on some other makers though, so it's a win for them and a good experience for me.

Best news I heard this month :thumbsup:

It's a very short grind. 3/32" to 1/8" in something hand ground is like ~0.025" different. The example I have is around 0.94"-0.100" thick. And it's a wedge.

I can see what you mean given a short grind. I don't care for a short grind myself. If nothing else it's a pain to sharpen. One of the shining features of a scandi grind is how easy they are to maintain. But if the grind is super shallow, I find it easy to accidentally roll the knife a bit forward and goof the edge, or back and miss the edge all together.

I will be looking forward to that FK 2.0 Lorien. I missed out on the first one and would love a chance to get one.

01 would be intetesting if not in D3V.

Back