What knife would you use to kill a bear?

Well if I was to (try to) stop a bear with a knife I'd probably use that, preferably with an haft (long one).

nagasa7sun1md.jpg

http://www.yamahide.com/custom/customitem/nishine/nagasa7sun1lg.jpg

animatagi-2-018.jpg

My Great great Grandmother killed a Black up in Maine back in the day, with an Axe, as it was trying to get into her cabin. I think that people have more of a shot killing a bear than most here admit.
Humans are the most dangerous predator. Yeah, a slippie or SAK would seem pretty meager, but a Bowie or Hawk, Axe or stout staff...all are DEADLY when used in that manner. Much of what happens depends on the FIGHT in the man or woman...some folks just roll over and die...some dont.
I give a one on one fight to the bear, if I was making odds for Vegas...but If I had to I wouldnt run...running is a bad idea anyway, a bear CAN always outrun you.

matagi001.jpg

matagi002.jpg

I posted this knife on shaft before - Socket handle mountain knife, Matagi

(Bear hunter)style

What knife? Yours, with you using it, while I run for help. Be patient: I'm old and it may take me awhile to get back.

id use my hawk or mr mochassin ranger but id try to play dead so i could hit it in the heart

Never bring a knife to a claw fight.

Last edited:
Well, Hugh Glass, an old time mountain man, shot one once with his Hawken when they surprised each other in the brush. The bear wasn't too impressed with the ball, so he attacked and severely mauled Glass. Glass had some kind of big butcher knife or Green River skinner or some such large, simple blade on him, and succeeded in killing the bear. Very nearly died from his wounds, though.

If it were down to a blade and a large bear for me, I'd want one of those big japanese spears with a sword blade on the end of the pole. Or maybe a boar spear, with a big long blade. And twelve or so friends also similarly armed. Or one guy with a .375 H&H....

my SOG GovTac. Grippy when bloody, has a double guard to prevent hand slippage onto the blade, is thinly tapered at the point for easy penetration, yet is thick enough not to break. Is razor sharp too. Plus i frigging hate bears with a passion and would embrace that hatred and passion to gladly knife one to death no matter how pissed off it is.

Maybe the wasp knife? It has a canister of Co2 in it, when you prees the button a jet of Co2 comes out very fast, perharps if you stabbed the bear in the shoulder/neck/face region, you could blow it's head up. But I wouldn't even try to kill a bear with a knife, only, and I say only....if it were a last resort.

This one.
IMG_0276.jpg

This One Zero knife has a 10" blade.

Bushman 5 has the right idea a DOUBLE GUARD on you knife is going to keep your hand from slipping up on the blade, just incase you hit bone or cartilage.

All it takes is for you to be attacked one time( whether by a 2 or 4 footed creature) and IF you live, you will be rethinking your knife design thoughts from then on. Better to have that the Double Guard with a longer blade and not need it then to need it and not have it.

Bryan

Back