What makes a fighting knife

Might as well just pull the pin on a grenade. Quicker and painless..one would hope.

This Dhankute might qualify as a good fighting knife.

4e1bd9a0dc7d5826b825299272ad5f31

Its a little longer than id want to conceal but its got a heck of a skull crusher.

df25d51ebf83508c9ce855e31dedc353

If i may ask-Who made this blade? Is it HI or? Never seen this one before anywhere....

If i may ask-Who made this blade? Is it HI or? Never seen this one before anywhere....
It is an HI blade. Its made by Thamar. There are a few others but are more ornate with a different guard. I think they were called "Fish Knife".

Theres a slot in the spine so you can slip a long piece of seat belt webbing through and tie a knot in the end then grab the other end and start swinging away. Cold cock someone upside the head pretty good with that skull crusher eh:D Nah ...but really i dont know what the slot is for but its cool for some reason:thumbup:

Last edited:
It is an HI blade. Its made by Thamar. There are a few others but are more ornate with a different guard. I think they were called "Fish Knife".

Theres a slot in the spine so you can slip a long piece of seat belt webbing through and tie a knot in the end then grab the other end and start swinging away. Cold cock someone upside the head pretty good with that skull crusher eh:D Nah ...but really i dont know what the slot is for but its cool for some reason:thumbup:

Great design,reminding me very much one particular model from another knifemaker,only this one have longer blade and somehow different handle shape...I have seen few fish knifes here,but this is very rare

yeah the sister to this one has a more rambo style -- when I placed my order I was wanting this one !!! -- I still lay claim to it upon ndog's death

The slot is there, as the description goes for the muzzle device on the Hungarian AMD-65 AK variant, "to make a demoralizing noise" lol

The slot is there, as the description goes for the muzzle device on the Hungarian AMD-65 AK variant, "to make a demoralizing noise" lol

Those AMD-65 breaks are obnoxious! I know they look cool but they are louder than the AK74 giant compensator. They aren't bad if you are behind the muzzle, they are deafening if you are to the right or left of it. I sold my AMD years ago cause I couldn't stand the wire stock. I do however love the hand guard area and vertical grip on the AMD.

Those AMD-65 breaks are obnoxious! I know they look cool but they are louder than the AK74 giant compensator. They aren't bad if you are behind the muzzle, they are deafening if you are to the right or left of it. I sold my AMD years ago cause I couldn't stand the wire stock. I do however love the hand guard area and vertical grip on the AMD.

I added the metal loop to the folding stock on my AMD-65 to allow for a cheek weld, and a Primary Arms micro red-dot on an UltiMAK gas tube rail, and now it's one of my favorite AKs to shoot, and everyone who has gotten to try shooting it has loved it, too. But it IS pretty loud.

This was my duty rig for 6 months:
image.jpg
Soooooo veeery loud. In the shoothouse it would drop the IQ of everyone in the room about twenty points every time you fired it.

I added the metal loop to the folding stock on my AMD-65 to allow for a cheek weld, and a Primary Arms micro red-dot on an UltiMAK gas tube rail, and now it's one of my favorite AKs to shoot, and everyone who has gotten to try shooting it has loved it, too. But it IS pretty loud.

The polish style/AMD style sidefolders caused a number of fillings to be lost where I worked. Everybody wrapped SAM splint around them...that's what's on my underfolder above (I cut about 4" out of the stock and rewelded it because my wingspan wasn't up to that stock and body armor at the same time)

-----------

Last edited:
The polish style/AMD style sidefolders caused a number of fillings to be lost where I worked. Everybody wrapped SAM splint around them...that's what's on my underfolder above (I cut about 4" out of the stock and rewelded it because my wingspan wasn't up to that stock and body armor at the same time)

Yeah the Warsaw length stocks are short to begin with. Wayyyy to short for me, they aren't to bad with body armor. Love the little shorty you carried. The underfolder is my least favorite even behind the wire stock. Had a Polytech AK76s years ago with the underfolder and folding spike bayonet. It was a sweet type56 that I regret selling.

I prefer the standard fixed Warsaw length stock in laminate or polymer. It's a short rifle to begin with and I never had an issue with portability. I would however use a folder of some type if I were in a small vehicle or tank/support vehicle.

Last edited:
Simple really: The longest blade that can be easily concealed. Acute point with no finger choil much preferrable, double edged or single, hollow ground to slice deeper and challenge grabbing, but, most importantly, as little edge belly as possible (edge bellies typically greatly open the edge bevel, and make poor tip slicers whether they open the edge bevel or not): Slicing with the tip gives a large reach advantage vs stabbing, since the arm can be used extended...

So as straight an edge as possible (to be closer to "tip-hooking") is crucial (meaning a heavily dropped point on a single edge), no finger choil, and hollow ground with 0.5 mm thin edge: It is surprising to see how few knives will match all these very basic recommendations...: The Al Mar "Special Warfare" is just about the only one I know to be done properly on all counts: The tip is on the fragile side, but not inappropriate for a true fighter.:

DSC01764_zpsc2e5b70f.jpg

Al Mar also made the best factory dagger, called the Shadow IV, a whopping 7.75" blade for barely 10 ounces... The sharpest-edged dagger by far though is Randall's peculiar Tom Clinton special, which out-slices just about any single edge knife, but has large finger choils...

Gaston

assuming one of my swords or pointy axes is not available, and i could only have one knife,
if i want to poke holes in someone quietly i'd use my searles-fowler bowie.
searles-fowler-bowie.jpg

if i want to slice them up i'd prefer my old fashioned droopy knife.
kothimora.jpg

i would not feel too bad if i only had my wootz jambiyah razor
kurdish jamiyah_0069.jpg

but if i had my druthers, my nepali bowie would be with me in time of need.
nepalibowie.jpg

ideally i'd have all of them handy & a couple of pocket folders for utility use.
and a sword. and not an over-rated katana.

probably my new german side sword-razor
german side sword.jpg

oh, i forget, i DO have them handy :D even a folded steel katana. ;)

I adore that searles-fowler. Never heard of it before but it's breathtaking.

I adore that searles-fowler. Never heard of it before but it's breathtaking.

i found out about it looking for something else - trying to find out what bowie knife jim had at the alamo. the s-f i saw was on show at the alamo apparently. also a reproduction (tho not the one he last carried apparently). finally traced them from there to find it was made by museum replicas, who has them made in india ( i gather they are a divn. of windlass). i then tried all my usual sources till i found someone in finland that had one in stock at a slightly discounted price, and snapped it up. i've seen some rather expensive custom versions too during my search that were way beyond my means. i've gotten used to eating ramen noodles. the knife lives next to me on my tv remote table next to my tv chair.

Effective fighting knife should be sharp from edges and made up of high carbon steel. Rest depends on the person who is using it and how much expertise he/she has with that knife. My personal fighting knife is a Kukri.

What does high carbon steel have to do with it?

What does high carbon steel have to do with it?

Many people prefer high carbon steel because it takes a holds a much sharper edge than stainless. It's also less brittle and more durable than stainless steel.

And Kronckew, I've heard that the Searles style of Bowie was preferred by Rezin Bowie, Jim's older brother and the one who gave him the original. Also kind of funny, I looked at your Jambiya and said to myself "hey, that looks like it could be a Kurdish Jambiya". Then I saw the picture title "Kurdish Jambiya". Apparently the Kurds like to refer to a lot of their blades as poison blades. There's a common belief that anyone cut by them will sicken and die eventually. I know a guy who also has a Kurdish Jamb that he was given as a gift by Peshmerga when he was in Iraq in the mid-2000s. I'm not particularly fond of the handle though. He let me have a look at his and I had to squeeze my fist into it because the 'I' shape that is characteristic of the Kurdish style.

Swords and battle axes are great, so are spears and longbows....but you must have it with you.

The Ang Khola i packed was about the most i would take on a normal combat load and spent most time on side of pack or pistol belt with suspenders. You really do not want it off belt in case you have to get light in a hurry and jettison the pack....and it is more a battle axe with a point.
What i was trained with was the style for a 7"-8" blade with double edges and double guard, smashing pommel with weight back in hand for manueverability, and point on line with thrust which generally meant a drop to blade from straight line of handle, if handle were even straight, and many curve downward.....pretty much straight Applegate tactics which are down and dirty....

Some of the new powdered stainless makes most carbon steel blades appear brittle....but i prefer forged...and what broken knives i saw would have broken no matter what....but forged stainless is trickier and must be tested to make sure no carbide clumping to induce a weak spot...also not all forged are created equal....forging a tang and edge and rough shape is basic.....reduction forging again and again and again with multiple heat treats can make steel do what you thought impossible....ABS Master blades are awesome....you also pay dearly for such.....when something such as a khukuri would do just fine and never bust either....

Last edited:
Simple really: The longest blade that can be easily concealed. Acute point with no finger choil much preferrable, double edged or single, hollow ground to slice deeper and challenge grabbing, but, most importantly, as little edge belly as possible (edge bellies typically greatly open the edge bevel, and make poor tip slicers whether they open the edge bevel or not): Slicing with the tip gives a large reach advantage vs stabbing, since the arm can be used extended...

So as straight an edge as possible (to be closer to "tip-hooking") is crucial (meaning a heavily dropped point on a single edge), no finger choil, and hollow ground with 0.5 mm thin edge: It is surprising to see how few knives will match all these very basic recommendations...: The Al Mar "Special Warfare" is just about the only one I know to be done properly on all counts: The tip is on the fragile side, but not inappropriate for a true fighter.:

DSC01764_zpsc2e5b70f.jpg

Al Mar also made the best factory dagger, called the Shadow IV, a whopping 7.75" blade for barely 10 ounces... The sharpest-edged dagger by far though is Randall's peculiar Tom Clinton special, which out-slices just about any single edge knife, but has large finger choils...

Gaston

Been in any knife fights lately?....

Also kind of funny, I looked at your Jambiya and said to myself "hey, that looks like it could be a Kurdish Jambiya". Then I saw the picture title "Kurdish Jambiya". Apparently the Kurds like to refer to a lot of their blades as poison blades. There's a common belief that anyone cut by them will sicken and die eventually. I know a guy who also has a Kurdish Jamb that he was given as a gift by Peshmerga when he was in Iraq in the mid-2000s. I'm not particularly fond of the handle though. He let me have a look at his and I had to squeeze my fist into it because the 'I' shape that is characteristic of the Kurdish style.

[video=youtube;2BoKUfaorJ0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2BoKUfaorJ0[/video]

Just a thought.

Zero

Last edited:
Back