What options for handle finish?

Just getting into making a few knives. The few that I have made have Superglue finish on the wooden scales. What other options are good choices for handle finish? I seem to be having problems getting a consistently smooth finish with the Superglue. It is really hard and durable, but would like to try some other options.

Super glue is not a viable handle finish, as you found out.
Generally, materials that need a finish applied are poor handle choices. That is why stag, bone, ivory, pearl, Micarta, Pakkawood, cocobolo, ebony, kingwood, and similar are popular.

Super glue is not a viable handle finish, as you found out.
Generally, materials that need a finish applied are poor handle choices. That is why stag, bone, ivory, pearl, Micarta, Pakkawood, cocobolo, ebony, kingwood, and similar are popular.

So with the wood scales that you mentioned you would put NO finish at all?

I'd stabilize lacewood if I used it in knife handles. When I use it to make boxes, I use a penetrating oil followed by wax. This method really brings out the grain. It's still a relatively soft wood, though.

I oil almost all of my natural wood handles and then polish by hand. I think that anything that requires a hard finish should be stabilized. That way it's hard all the way through.

I'd stabilize lacewood if I used it in knife handles. When I use it to make boxes, I use a penetrating oil followed by wax. This method really brings out the grain. It's still a relatively soft wood, though.

I oil almost all of my natural wood handles and then polish by hand. I think that anything that requires a hard finish should be stabilized. That way it's hard all the way through.

So how do you go about stabilizing? I see stabilized wood scales for sale at knife supply places but not familiar with the process.

Thats not my website or anything, I merely provided a link to it.

Good stuff on there though, read it through and see what you can use.

Chuck

Those materials don't require a finish, other than polishing. Any handle material can be waxed for added shine and protection.

Back