What photo/video equipment do you take with you?

I know most of use take cameras with us on our adventures and outing and I was just kind of wondering what y'all have for photo/video equipment? Do you take tripods with you? What case or bag do you keep your camera in to protect it?

i used to carry my 8+ yrs old nikon coolpix 8700 but on the last hike i used my iphone 4 to take these:

016_010.jpg

016_008.jpg

i'm pretty impressed with the quality especially since it takes just as nice a video quality...and it's a freaking phone to begin with.

I just carry a nice light weight little digital camera that can take some decent 720p video. I made sure to get a waterproof one that could be dropped and beat up without taking any damage. I currently have a Sony TX5 and I'm VERY pleased with it. Small and streamlined, fits in my pocket nicely, and I can go swimming with it! It's awesome. I don't even need a case for it since it's designed to be rocked and rattled around. Great adventure camera for when I'm hiking around the Canadian Rockies.

A small Kodak digital camera. I make it point to not take electronics into the woods with me. No cell, no GPS, generally nothing that takes batteries. That's one of the reasons why I don't have more pics of my outings, I just don't like having them out with me.

Photography is a hobby for some, a passion for others and an obsession to a select few. Me, I hate pictures, and having my picture taken. Funny that way.

Moose

I just got a Kodak PlaySport Zx3 Waterproof HD videocamera for christmas, looking forward to playing with that some out there!

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 camera. Waterproof, freeze proof, shock proof.
I bought it mainly for kayaking. Takes good pictures and really crisp HD video.
My wife gave me one of these little tripods for Xmas to pack into the woods.
You can wrap it around limbs, rocks, vines, whatever...

MULTI-MINI-TRIPOD-3.jpg

I have been using a Fujifilm Finepix AX, and a small Ultrapod for all my photos and HD videos from bit now and I am really enjoying it, it all rides in a Pelican 1120 Case along with my scanner for train trips.

I use my cell phone sometimes or my canon powershot es, I'd like to get a decent video camera, I've tried to upload to YT but it was going to take hours for a 7min video:eek:..

I have a Nikon D70 digital SLR. Takes AWESOME pics, but honestly it's too much camera for my mediocre talents, AND it's a little heavy to lug around. Normally, we take our Sony Cybershot when we're in the woods...it's compact and takes sweet pics.

If I am on the hike for the work photos as a primary reason I take my Nikon SLR, if it is "just a hike" then I take my little Canon A590IS. I'm always working on plant ID and stuff...and some times I find enough material for cool threads...

Canon 50D with 17-85mm and 70-200mm f/4L (on the large size, but non-IS makes it the lightest of the 4 L-line 70-200s Canon makes). I pack a bit heavy, but I don't mind.

On a side note, the Gorillapod jammy Guyon posted serves me well as a lightstand/clamp for my flash when not mounted on camera. (Gorillapod SLR holds a Canon 430exII flash with PocketWizard FlexTT5 quite well)

-Nadz

A small Kodak digital camera. I make it point to not take electronics into the woods with me. No cell, no GPS, generally nothing that takes batteries. That's one of the reasons why I don't have more pics of my outings, I just don't like having them out with me.

Photography is a hobby for some, a passion for others and an obsession to a select few. Me, I hate pictures, and having my picture taken. Funny that way.

Moose

i'm not really into photography either but i make it a point to take pics whenever i hike. i'm not married and no kids yet so the pics i take i guess serve as my reminder what life is all about whenever i get a bad day at the office...i'm a country boy at heart stuck in a cube somewhere :eek:

I had been carrying a DSLR w/ extra lens, but recently came into a G12, which came along last go around. The G12 seems to be a pretty good compromise in size/weight, but it is overkill if you don't need/want the better pics.

I used to take a Canon SD750, and it worked fine, though the pics weren't that special if you get real into it. They were fine for 95% of what you need though.

Let's see what this thing says. I got it for the warden a few years ago....... Canon PowerShot A 570 IS. Put a big honkin mem. card in it, seems to do the job. I was in the far north and took wolf track pics several years ago, shots of Caribou skulls etc with a disposable. Got the pics done at wallyworld and they came out surprisingly well.

Well most my photos are taken with my phone, although I am making a point to bring my real camera. Eventually, I'd like to upgrade to the Canon G11 as funds allow. But, I can totally get by with what I have.

As far as protecting it goes...that is pretty easy. Most of my electronics(phone, truck remote, camera) go in a hard Pelican or Otterbox. It keeps them dry and from getting crushed.

My Olympus is waterproof and shockproof too! So it is pretty great for the outdoors. You're not afraid to bring it along rain or shine. I had a big SLR for awhile. I was too worried about it to enjoy it. If you can't afford to lose or break it you can't afford it at all I guess.

I have a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS2 camera. Waterproof, freeze proof, shock proof.
I bought it mainly for kayaking. Takes good pictures and really crisp HD video.
My wife gave me one of these little tripods for Xmas to pack into the woods.
You can wrap it around limbs, rocks, vines, whatever...

MULTI-MINI-TRIPOD-3.jpg

i should probably get one of those types of cameras for when the phone and/or dSLR is too much or the weather is too nasty...

for bird shots and other what nots, i have what amounts to an older canon dSLR and some big lenses, and filters. that's about it. have a good tripod, but that doesn't go out a lot.

have been considering one of those body-huggers for the camera though, keeps it supported and out of the way, but immediately deployable.

I've always got my iPhone(4 now) with me and most times a canon 400D (Rebel xti) with the 18-55mm IS, 55-250mm IS, and a 50mm 1.8. I'm hoping to upgrade to the 60D this year.

Back