What Rollerball pen to try out that is representative of what these have to offer?

I have enjoyed my Parker fountain pen a great deal. It served me very well when I was having trouble with wrists which caused numbness in my hands. The ease of writing with this pen was a shear joy everytime I used it.

In my everyday world, carrying an expensive fountain pen just isn't practical. I have become interested in picking up a good Rollerball pen to try out that technology. I want something of an "everyday" pen that won't make you cry if it gets some battle scars. What Rollerball pens have you had good experiences with?

Also, are there replacement cartridges I could put into an existing ballpoint that would work? I have heard about some new Parker Gel replacements for their "45" which appears to be the same cheap Parker Ballpoint pen I have used so often.

My price range is in the ~$50 to ~$100 range at the upper end with preference being given to something on the cheaper but, still of good quality.

Thanks!
Sid

Sid - Retro 51 has a cool capless roller called the Tornado. It's got a bit of the, well, retro look to it but they are well made pens for the price. They even have a couple models with barrels made of titanium. Pricing is under $50 but they are of high quality and have good balance in the hand. Rotring has a retractable roller called the Jazz that you might want to look at too. Smooth writing, though due to the barrel finish one might find it too slick at times. Otherwise, another good pen to look at. Finally, Sensa. They are the most comfortable pens I have used, though, their look is something you either like or not. The ergo grips on their rollerballs are a little thicker than their ballpoints. If you do a lot of writing I highly recommend these. Good luck in your search!

Dexter is spot on.

The Sensas are great pens for extended writing. My wife is a Graduate English Student and takes copious handwritten notes. This pen, she reports, prevents the severe wrist and hand fatigue she gets with other pens.

The Retro51 is a great pen, but I replaced the roller cartridge in mine with a ballpoint after it leaked on my favourite shirt. Personally, "capless rollerball" to me means "expect some stains" YMMV, but I prefer capped rollerballs.

I recently got a Waterman Phileas fountain pen. It was a bout $30. THere are both rollerball and ballpoint versions as well and I think they are slightly cheaper than the fountain variety.

Good luck! Let us know what you decide on!

Clay

I've got a Rotring Core that is awesome.
The ink flows more smoothly than any other pen I've had.
Plus it looks neato!:D

Parker has some nice rollerballs as well. Their Sonnet line can be found at very reasonable rates, and their rollerball cartridges last for quite a while. I as yet have no experience with their new gel refill cartridges.

AJ

Originally posted by Snow
I've got a Rotring Core that is awesome.
The ink flows more smoothly than any other pen I've had.
Plus it looks neato!:D

Another vote for the Core here! I've got two of 'em. I guess it would be the pen equivalent of the monster truck :D

I got a Rotring Titanium Core Rollerball and really like it. I find the balance to be off when I put the cap on it but, when I leave the cap attached to badge holder and just use the bare pen, it works great. Definitely $14 well spent!

I got my pen from Swisher Pens. These folks made for a very pleasant pen buying decision after my local sources indicated they were all sold out and wouldn't have more in stock for several weeks. I found Swisher's price on the pen to very good and, unlike the other sites I checked out, their shipping rates were reasonable (actually less then what they paid). They used the U.S. Postal Service 3-day Priority mail and got the pen in the mail the same day. They shipped Monday and I got Thursday.

Why doesn't Sensa make a 2-in-1 model? I love my Sensa Zephyr, but what I really need is a single pen that can also act as a stylus. Their stylus-equipped Minx defeats the purpose of having a Sensa by sticking the stylus tip on the wrong end. <sigh>

--Bob Q

Dude,

I've never been a Parker user, but I think the Cross rollerball are AWESOME! :D

Sam

Originally posted by bquinlan
Why doesn't Sensa make a 2-in-1 model? I love my Sensa Zephyr, but what I really need is a single pen that can also act as a stylus. Their stylus-equipped Minx defeats the purpose of having a Sensa by sticking the stylus tip on the wrong end. <sigh>

--Bob Q

Not sure why Sensa doesn't have a 2-in-1. That would be cool though. However, if you want a pen and stylus without having the stylus on the opposite end, try checking out the Sanford PhD Multi. It's actually 3 implements in 1: ballpoint, 0.5mm mechanical pencil, and a stylus. It's very inexpensive (about $7-$8) and can be found at places like Staples, Office Depot, and Wal-Mart. It's got a large rubber ergonomic grip like the regular PhD pens.

I've liked Waterman as well. I've been thinking about picking another one up (my other one "walked away" a few years back).

I have had two Waterman roller balls and did not write well with either. My GF has both and loves them. I did much better with a Rotring 600 series. One of the orginals, made in Germany and with the knurled grip. Heavy solid brass barrel. There is a spring in the back that helps keep the pressure on the tip constant. Works very well for me.

I came very close to stepping up to a 600 model Rotring rollerball. Are they all made in Germany or, is there a difference in them I should be looking for? I am considering the Lava texture model but, was wondering about the all black model and whether it would be too slick.

I don't have access to one locally so, this would be a purchase through the internet. Thanks for you help!

The Lava finish has a bit of texturing to it, which is quite nice. I have handled the regular 600 series rollerball and the finish can be a bit slick for some folks. I think the black maybe the same way. Go with the Lava if you can.

Sid, those Rotring 600's are nice solid pens. I do have to chime in with the Rotring Core's as well - big and chunky but not heavy and never fail to raise an eye. It'd be difficult to lose it, but if you did you wouldn't feel all that badly. (oops - just noticed you posted that you already had a core :)

The other things about rollerballs, is that unlike FP nibs there's not too much difference, the refills are what make the writing smooth and most refills fit most pens. If you want to try a dirt cheap, but really nice pen and refill try the Pilot G2's - you can find them in any office supply store.

Oh, and if your main concern w/ carrying around an FP is losing it - check out the Pelikan Future from swisher. It is a cheap C&C, but it is a very smooth and very consistent writer.

Back