what size bicycle tubes

I replace all my batteries over Labor Day each year. should I replace the tire bands each year also?
As mentioned above, if exposed to certain things (no idea exactly what - I’d love an educated answer on this - probably sunshine isn’t great) and for sure if stretched to tightly, they will degrade, however I’ve had some going strong for many years, so I don’t think they need to be changed out very often.

I wonder if tires are available that are higher rubber content and if that would make them last longer...?

So I thought I'd try and turn this into a "Show pics of the interesting stuff you use bicycle inner tubes for" thread :) . Here are some contributions-

The throttle grips on my bikes are completely round, and although they have rubber wraps, being round they are difficult to keep a grip on with thick gloves, or over any long rides. There are aftermarket grips with horizontal ridges, but they're expensive, I'm cheap, and I live by the philosophy "why buy it if I can make it". So I cut a section of scrap aluminum tubing, riveted some thick leather strips across it, and secure it to the throttle using several 1" wide sections of inner tube. The tube not only holds the "grip enhancement" in place, but being rubber, they are also grippy themselves. Got one on each bike, and they've been serving me well for over a decade (have to change the bands from time to time)

First pic with the inner tubing, second without, third a pic of just the "enhancement".

The other pic is a 27mm wrench that I always carry when I leave home, in case I have to deal with any "loose nuts" I may encounter in my travels. The wrench measures 14" long.

cpVeLB0.jpg

yZbSKXN.jpg

Ns2eKvP.jpg

o3qzZqD.jpg

As for other interesting uses, on a few occasions I've used sections of inner tube to make improvised, emergency plumbing repairs in bathrooms and kitchens while waiting for Home Depot to open. A long, stretchy, durable piece of tubing can really come in handy.
is this wrench wrap multiple bands? or a long piece wrapped and secured somehow?

I prefer horizontal belt carry over pocket carry for my folding knives. For a few decades now I've been using a section of inner tube looped on my belt. The stretchiness of the tube, plus the gripiness of the rubber, holds the knife securely, but a firm yank pulls it free. It doesn't work with every folder though. Didn't work with my Spyderco Military because of how far the blade sticks out around the thumb hole.

Pic 1- Benchmade AFCK. Pic 2- Al Mar SERE 2000. Pic 3- Buck 110.

Pic 4 is a flashlight that was rather slippery so I wrapped it with inner tube.

TLkXo6q.jpg

R2tvELe.jpg

jRIKEVE.jpg

fsyrb1x.jpg
how did u secure the wrap on the flashlight? is the tube on your belt 1 1/2" wide?

Ok here are a few of MANY examples of “Ranger Bands” in action around my house:
View attachment 1571156
View attachment 1571158
These are used to protect the straps from getting cut when sheathing/unsheathing, and on one side to connect a small piece of shock cord which helps keep the straps open.
View attachment 1571151
More bands on the sheath straps to tighten it up and protect them. Also a larger one on the grip eliminates rattling in the sheath and keeps the handle on more securely.
View attachment 1571155This one is used to tension the sternum strap that this sheath is clipped to.
View attachment 1571152
I keep a racing harness hooked up in my car - just in case - and Ranger bands are used to eliminate rattling from the steel quick-links.
View attachment 1571150
This one has fixed my toilet for about a year so far...
View attachment 1571149
Door grip - sticky/tricksy handle.
View attachment 1571148
Grip of the greatest bayonet Nerf revolver ever.
View attachment 1571147
Quick sheath recipe:
Ranger bands, 1 piece of leather, folded at the bottom, 2 bamboo dowels down the sides (to protect the Ranger bands), some paracord, and a couple of molle links.
View attachment 1571154
To help stay squared away.

Nice. I like the toilet repair. And I particularly like the doorknob, that's one I never thought of.

is this wrench wrap multiple bands? or a long piece wrapped and secured somehow?
how did u secure the wrap on the flashlight? is the tube on your belt 1 1/2" wide?

The wrench and the flashlight each involve one long strip.

With the wrench, I started in the middle, wrapping over each previous wrap (being grippy rubber there's no need to secure the beginning end with anything else), when I got to the end of the wrench I just turned around and wrapped forward (a single wrap didn't give me a thick enough grip to satisfy my hand), and then I tucked the end under a few previous wraps by stretching them out, sticking the end under, pulling the end through, then cutting of the extra. You can see the tucked end in the middle of the wrench.

Basically the same with the flashlight except just one wrap from front to back. I used rubber grip tape on the head because turning the head adjusts the brightness, but tape wasn't suitable for the rest of the light because of the uneven surface of it and lack of flat areas.

Getting the loose end tucked away just right (tight and flat) takes some practice.

As for the size of inner tube I used for the folding knives, I don't know what the actual tube size is (I've used up the portion of the tube that had the writing), but when I press the tube flat and measure across it's 1- 3/4". It's the second largest size they had at Walmart.

I used to wrap several of my fixed-blade handles with inner tube, but then I experimented with Plastidip and I found I liked it better for my knives. Sometimes wrapping made the handles too thick. But it was good for making handles thicker that were too skinny (example below).

o5UofMa.jpg

Last edited:
7BCD0E4B-F887-4E10-846C-20B5AA7D506C.jpeg

3 layers of Ranger Band. Has lasted very well through several sessions of chopping. 👌

Back