What steels do you use Damon

Thought this might be an interesting topic for discussion. I have seen you use O1, 5160, and CPM154 are those what you prefer to work with. Also when would you use 5160 over O1?

Well I got started using o1. The o1 is a great high carbon tool steel with forgiving heattreating properties. Since I do all my own heat treatment I've chosen to stick with o1 manly because of those qualities. It also makes a great hard edge holding blade. I've abused some blades in my r&d and it's amazing how well they hold up.

5160 is a spring steel. I use for my short swords and.large chopping blades. It offers more tuff was than o1 and when differential heat treated it Almost impossible to break.

Cmp154- is what I use for stainless knives. Everybody loves stainless except the knife maker :) it sucks to grind! This stainless is one of the easier to use lending it self to easier grindabity and heattreating.

It not that I won't use other steels. It's just these are easy to come by and I know what I get with them. Dylan fletcher and andy Roy steered me towards these steels with great confidence. It's what they use and after my own tests I know why.

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions. Like what grinds I use :) or handle materials :). Thanks

Most of my handles are made from layer synthetic materials. I like using g10, canvas and linen micartas, and colored liners. Some of the coolest micartaade Ive used are custom made by Shadetree.

I use different grinds for different knives. Fine slicing blades get high and tight convex or hollow grinds. My camp and choppers get a thicker convex to hold up against heavy use. A secondary convex edge is easy to keep razor sharp with a little compound on your belt for in the field stoping!

Back