What the experts like?

I was wanting to know what everyone recomends as the better throwing knives and axes. I have tryed many knifes and can not seem to get them to stick 50% of the time. I have tryed the all of the Unitted stuff and only had luck with the smaller Hibbins and the 3 doller pair of "arrows". What are some good knifes to learn on?

As for axes I was wanting to know what yall think of the Hibben Axe. I have the Cold Steel "Bad Axe" and "Vietnam Axe". These are great axes, almost always stick if I hit the target. And the Bad axe can take as much abuse as they say, I have hit boulders from all directions and it still throws like it was new.

Has anyone tryed the Cold Steel Torpeado?

Thanks for the time,
Vlad

you want something to stick 100% try lots of pratice, relaxtion, meditation, etc. i can stick whenever i want to with almost anything hard enough to penitrate (still can do the straw through a telephone pole like a tornado though), or try a star they almost always stick.

------------------
a man is no fool to give up that which he cannot keep to gain what he cannever lose.

I tend to be partial to the custom throwers. My first real throwing knife was a Tru Bal Bowie Axe. My first designs were designed by Harry. I then started to design my own line. You can still see the McEvoy influence to this day. There are a lot of good custom throwers out there to be had. I tell people who are starting out that you need four things in a throwing knife.

1 Quality steel
2 (length) for control
3 (weight) for penetration
4 (balance) so that it can be thrown from either end

A more experienced thrower can make do with a knife that is not balanced, but a novice will have better luck with a balance knife.

I also like to throw the Cold Steel Shovel and Bad Axe. The one inch Torpedo is too heavy, but the 3/4 inch (diameter)Torpedo is a real good thrower because it has the weight of a quality throwing knife and throws similar to a knife.

Bobby Branton
www.brantonknives.com
------------------
AKTI member #1000
President SCAK
President AKTA

[This message has been edited by Knifeslinger (edited 03-14-2000).]

For pleasure throwing, anything goes. Shovels, scissor-type hedge shears, landscape nails etc. But for competition or serious target throwing I stay with the following requirements:

1. 14 inches length
2. 16 onces weight
3. 3/16 inch thickness
4. no more than 1 inch off center for balance
5. if handles, I like square not rounded grips

If you go with the above, you can throw a knife with just about any blade/handle profile and achieve the same results.

------------------
Webmaster
The Sticking Point
<A HREF="http://www.commonlogic.com/knife" A>

Thank you for the help.

Those are vary nice looking knives Mr. Branton. Would you have any recommendations from your collection?

The sticking point web page looks to be a great resource.

Thanks
Vlad

I have probably owned every type of production throwing knife made. I have thrown all of the United Hibben stuff. His pro throwers are a very good design for a consistent release, can't be thrown from the blade comfortably or consistently, though. The Hibben throwing axe is pretty nice, also. I do not like his smaller throwers... just not enough "ass" to carry distance and stick wth any depth. I have a CS BadAxe, but have bever thrown it... must give it a try.
Of all the production throwers, my favorites are the Rigid double edge. Don't know why I like them so much... must be a personal thing. I normally like to throw a larger knife, the Rigids are only about 8".
Bobby makes really good throwers. My favorite is his #9. The only problem I have had with those is the handle scales coming off when they get banged around a bit. If you are a beginner, get something without handle scales. You can upgrade later.
For a beginner, I would suggest the Hibben pro throwers. They have good steel (420 j2) for a thrower (soft, will not break and easy to put a point on). They are inexpensive and they are designed to facilitate a consistent release. That is going to be the most important thing for knife throwing. A lot of other guys mentioned balance, size, length, etc... of the knife. If the release is not consistent, you can forget all that other stuff. In the end, the knife doesn't really matter. It's going to come down to the skill of the thrower. Quit looking for a knife that is going to magically stick every time. There is no such thing. Find some knives that you personally like and practice, practice, practice.
And while I'm thinking about it... I hear the Viper knives by H. Moeller are awesome. Never thrown any, but I am in the market for a matched set of 3 if anyone has any they are looking to get rid of...

Orion

Back