What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

Alvin Sellens produced a guide to "Keen Kutter Pocket Knives". He went through to every catalog that Keen Kutter ever put out and he summarized them in his book. According to Sellens your knife was in the catalogs from 1905 (the first use of the bar and wedge stamp) up to 1934. The horns at the top of the wedge are usuallly considered to be an indication that the knife was made by Camillus. I don't think that Camillus started making Keen Kutters until after 1927, so I would place your knife as made sometime between 1927 or so and 1934, probably in the 1930s, as Primble Primble suggested.

Here it is in a 1930 catalog reprint.

Wow!! Tons of information and it’s great to know a bit about the history of this one and to be able to narrow it down to a possible couple year span and a possible manufacturer. Very appreciative that you took the time to dig through the reference for me.

I will say I have one Camillus “four line” of the same general timeframe and the quality feels similar so I could see it being made by them.

Alvin Sellens produced a guide to "Keen Kutter Pocket Knives". He went through to every catalog that Keen Kutter ever put out and he summarized them in his book. According to Sellens your knife was in the catalogs from 1905 (the first use of the bar and wedge stamp) up to 1934. The horns at the top of the wedge are usuallly considered to be an indication that the knife was made by Camillus. I don't think that Camillus started making Keen Kutters until after 1927, so I would place your knife as made sometime between 1927 or so and 1934, probably in the 1930s, as Primble Primble suggested.

Here it is in a 1930 catalog reprint.

Thanks for refreshing my memory ............... it was Danno that had all of that catalog info !!! :thumbsup: 😍🤣

4F2giGQ.jpeg

Stag/Horn Knife of the Week is a buffalo horn GEC #85, one of my favorite classic patterns (thanks, Paul):

Work Knife of the Week is a Böker USA (maybe it doesn't need an umlaut?) electrician (thanks, Mark):

- GT
This pair is great, Gary. GEC nailed the EO jack. It’s a perfect tribute to my Grandpa’s old Camillus.
The Schrade doesn't seem to want to leave my pocket lately! It's been a main carry or riding shotgun with an additional knife 😁
I got the GEC from a fellow porch member. The #56 isn't going to be a carry for me, it's going to my brother in law. I got it as a gift for him for becoming a part of our family & to say thanks for him being there for us, he's a great guy & I'm proud for him to be officially apart of our family.
He's a Clemson guy (graduated from there) & a hell of a guitar player so the orange & guitar shield is perfect!

View attachment 2557187

P.S. Thanks again @euroken !
Nice.
And “a helluva guitar player” is about the nicest thing you could say about a guy.

Unless he plays banjo.
keep rediscovering how much I like both these little guys ...
i-gqDVGf2-XL.jpg

:cool:
It sure is nice when that happens, Paul!

This old whittler has been sitting on my dresser ever since Jakeywax31 Jakeywax31 gave it to me at the knife show in March. Words don’t quite cut it Paul, but thank you.

I am not usually one of those “this came in the mail today, so straight in the pocket” kind of guys. This one’s been sitting on top of my dresser getting picked up and inspected every day. Ok, lovingly fondled.
Time to carry it.
Beginning of a love affair…
Glad you like it, Jeff. Couldn’t have gone to a better person. Enjoy it in good health.

Back