What "Traditional Knife" are ya totin' today?

IMG-1941.jpg

Madigan Monday, randomly picked up this ram's horn slipjoint by Richard Madigan at a show this weekend...turns out he was a student of William Scagel!🤯

Include me as one of the enthusiasts for this knife :cool: Obviously, the background to it is fascinating but I'd like to make a couple of my own observations about the knife. Ram's Horn is a wonderful material, often better than Stag, and this piece has clearly stood the test of time and been properly cured before being put on a knife, wonderful ridges and complexity to it. This material is I suspect, rather uncommon on Americanfolding knives and it has clear European influences both in choice of material and design. Shadow construction is really impressive as is the Copperhead shape which means that the tang won't tear the pocket as many Euro knives can with sharp exposed tangs. Interesting blade shape that suits the well of the knife, stainless??

A kind of big attractive Clasp Knife and no I certainly would not use the word 'crude' (apart from the blade etchings...) I think the word 'rustic' is more apt as it uses one piece horn to great effect and follows the Scagel ethos for this kind of form. Congratulations on getting such a beautiful knife and for putting it to use, wonderful acquisition. 😻

Thanks, Will

Took my 16 year old daughter to the range today. We took a 9mm s&w and my current body gun which is a .40 s&w. She prefers the .40 when practicing. I had my colonial Barlow and my Recruit in each front pocket. I had to use the Vic to extract a round that I didn’t get to engage in the ejector after it crossed up. Overall a good day! Btw, I would not want that young lady shooting at me, as she is solid with some heat!!!! I hope the weekend has been kind to you all. Thanks for letting me be a part of such a good group of people. Stay sharp!!
Awesome way to spend quality time with your daughter. It is good to read about youngsters, especially young ladies, getting into shooting.

Back